Braemore Estate is a 900 acre tea, rubber and coffee estate, some 60 km from Thiruvananthapuram established by the British in 1880. It is one of the best trekking spots in Kerala and lies at a height of 300 meters above sea level.
KSRTC buses are available from East Fort, Thiruvananthapuram. The first bus starts at 6.00 am and reaches Braemore Estate by 7.30 am. The forest checkpost at Mankayam Waterfall requires a payments of ₹25 per vehicle. Buses are allowed to pass free.
Walking is the only option for getting around.
- Ayyappa Temple. An old termite mound converted into a granite temple.
- Braemore Tea Factory. One of the oldest tea factories in Kerala
- Madame Falls, 2 km. Very safe for bathing.
- 1 Mankayam Waterfalls, Near forest checkpost.
- Ramayana Cave. A stream originates from the cave.
- Seetha Waterfalls (2 km trekking). Very safe for bathing with a natural bathtub.
- 1 Trekking to Ponmudi Hills (4 km). Permission is required from the forest department. They charge ₹800 for a group of four persons and provide a guide.
There are no restaurants in the estate. You have to bring your own food or cook something here.
- Braemore Estate Bungalow, ☎ . Kitchen facility is provided. ₹5,000.
- Braemore Palace, ☎ .
- Braemore Hills, ☎ .
- Arippa Eco-tourism village. 30 km
- Ponmudi Hills, 38 km