North America > United States of America > South (United States of America) > Tennessee > Eastern Tennessee > Bristol (Tennessee-Virginia)
Bristol is a city bisected by the Virginia-Tennessee border; the north half is in Virginia and the south half in Tennessee. State Street runs along the borderline and the two cities share a downtown.
Bristol, Virginia is an independent city in Virginia, bounded by Washington County, Virginia and Sullivan County, Tennessee. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 17,835.
Bristol, Tennessee is in Sullivan County. As of the 2010 census, the city has a total population of 26,702.
Originally named Goodson, the city was renamed to Bristol in 1890.
- 1 Tri-Cities Airport (TRI IATA) (the closest major airport is approximately 20 miles driving distance).
Interstate 81 connects Bristol with other cities (Roanoke, VA to the north and Knoxville, TN to the south) along a scenic and well maintained corridor that is a major route for private and commercial traffic. Bristol can be accessed via exits 1, 3, 5, and 7 in Virginia and exit 74 in Tennessee. Exit 3 on I-81 leads to I-381, a short spur freeway that takes traffic into downtown Bristol.
Public transportation is available to a limited portion of the city via a municipal bus system.
- Downtown district including shopping, historic landmarks in the history of Country Music.
Cumberland Square Park and War Memorial
- 1 Bristol Motor Speedway, 151 Speedway Blvd. A NASCAR short track auto racing venue. An enlarged cartoon version of this track appeared as the "Motor Speedway of the South" in Pixar's "Cars" in 2006.
- 1 Quality Inn & Suites, 131 Bristol East Road, ☏ , fax: .
- Courtyard Bristol, 3169 Linden Drive, ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 3005 Linden Drive, ☏ .
- Motel 6, 21561 Clear Creek Road, ☏ , fax: .
- Fox Manor Bed & Breakfast
|Routes through Bristol|
|Roanoke ← Wytheville ←||N S||→ Kingsport → Knoxville via|
|Roanoke ← Wytheville ←||N S||→ Splits into and|
|Merges with ←||N S||→ Johnson City → Knoxville|
|Merges with ←||N S||→ Kingsport → Knoxville|