The North in the Belgian capital of Brussels comprises the municipalities of Saint-Josse/Sint-Joost, Schaerbeek/Schaarbeek and Evere. Especially Saint-Josse and Schaerbeek are very dense residential areas, but have some interesting sights to offer. The area around Rogier and the area on the western side of the Nord/Noord Station has been developed in the 1960s as a business district which has an unpleasant feel due to the large amount of massive grey walls. The former port area along the channel on the western border of this district however remains very industrial and tourist unfriendly.
Saint-Josse/Sint-Joost is the smallest and poorest commune not only of Brussels, but of all Belgium. This reflects often in the state of many houses in the area. For this reason the commune might not always be too pleasing on the eye but does have a few small, welcoming streets. The mid-part of the Chaussée de Louvain/Leuvensesteenweg is also home to a relatively small Indo-Pakistani community, so this is the place to head to for a tikka masala.
- 1 Train World, Prinses Elisabethplein 5, Schaarbeek (in and next to the Schaarbeek train station). Tu-Su 10:00—17:00. Belgian train museum, opened in September 2015. €10.
- 1 Youth Hostel Van Gogh (CHAB), Rue Traversière-Dwarsstraat 8 (Saint-Josse-ten-Noode), ☎ , fax: . Good location, near Brussels North Station, quick access to all train stations via metro and airport. Very clean reception, friendly staff, and lively bar with good ambience which stays open late. Rather basic double rooms (toilets in rooms with no doors). From €19.
- 2 Hotel Bloom, Rue Royale-Koningsstraat 250, ☎ , fax: . A bloomy hotel with clean rooms. Free internet and breakfast. €100+.
- 3 Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre, Avenue du Boulevard-Boulevardlaan 17, ☎ , fax: . Major 4-star hotel in the centre of Brussels with 454 rooms. €69+.
- 4 Courtyard Brussels, Avenue des Olympiades-Olympiadenlaan 6, ☎ . Positioned between a housing and a commercial area, close to NATO and reasonably close to the airport. Quality furnished spacious rooms, cold breakfast is good but cooked breakfast questionable. Underground parking available.