The abbey contains a beer museum, and though there has been no brewing there in years (the trademark is now owned by Carlsburg), plans for a new microbrewery in the abbey were announced in 2019.
- 1 Tourist information center, Prinsenstraat 22. Tourist office where they will be able to help you when you need more information on some sights, some special services or specific recommendations.
Grimbergen has its own highway exit on the R0 (the outer beltway of Brussels) called Grimbergen. After exiting the highway, drive 2km north to get into the center of Grimbergen.
When talking about public transport, Grimbergen is only accessible by bus since the town does not have a railway station anymore. The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, has lines to Grimbergen from Brussels, Vilvoorde and Kapelle-op-den-Bos. For more information regarding different timetables: https://www.delijn.be.
Grimbergen is located in an idyllic setting with many of green meadows. There are walking maps available and also on internet you can map out your route before hitting the road.
Grimbergen makes an excellent area for cycling. The cycle node network is widely present in the region. The regional tourism offices also have created several cycling routes through the municipality and wider area.
Unfortunately, there are no bike rental companies in Grimbergen. If you do need to rent a bike, the best option is to rent one in neighboring Vilvoorde and cycle to Grimbergen. The center of Vilvoorde is only 4km away.
- 1 Saint Servatius Basilica (Sint-Servaasbasiliek), Kerkplein 1. Baroque basilica built between 1660 and 1725. It is richly adorned with exceptional wooden sculptures made by Flemish artist of that time. The church tower has a carillon. The sacristy was embellished with a wainscot and an impressive fresco.
- 2 Abbey Beer Museum (Abdijbiermuseum), Abdijstraat 2-20, firstname.lastname@example.org. Grimbergen's main trade mark is its beer, which is sold all over Belgium and even abroad. The museum is located in a 17th century abbey farm and was the first of its kind in Belgium. Visits only can be made after a reservation.
- 3 Museum of the Old Techniques (MOT) (Museum voor Oudere Technieken), Guldendal 20, ☏ , email@example.com. Ma-Fr 9:00-17:00, from April until September also on weekends and during holidays 14:00-18:00. €5. €2 for children younger than 18. Children younger than 6 go in for free.
- 4 MIRA Public Astronomical Observatory (Volkssterrenwacht), Abdijstraat 22, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Individual visits: W, Su: 14:00-18:00. Evening public observations: last Friday of the month (Sept–Jun). Explore a gigantic interactive map of the sky, try out different experiments, view telescopes and a meteorological office. Who knows, you may even make your own discovery! €3.
- Houses around the church square. 18 century houses: de Helm, In de Groenpoort, de Stadskam, de Bot and de Sleutel
- 5 Prinsenkasteel, Prinsenbos. The Prinsenkasteel (Princes Castle) was the residence of the Lords of Grimbergen. Of the castle however not much remains. Only the donjon in the southwestern corner and a round cornertower in the northwest, both connected by a facade are still standing. The former castle moat is now a pond. The place is very picturesque and tranquil.
- 6 Guldendal, Guldendal 20. Situated behind the Prinsenkasteel, the building used to be a stable and coach-house of the castle. The 1681 Renaissance building now houses the Museum of the Old Techniques and some exhibition rooms.
- 7 Liermolen, Vorststraat 8, ☏ . Watermill that was bought by the abbey in 1341. The present mill dates back to the 17th and 18th centuries. There is also a small bar in the old mill now. Part of the Museum of the Old Techniques is located in the mill barn.
- 8 Tommenmolen, Tommenmolenstraat 18, ☏ . 16th century watermill along the Maalbeek stream. Just like the Liermolen a part of the Museum of the Old Techniques is also located in this mill. Another barn is now used as a rural tavern. The site includes a restored claybarn as well.
- 9 Dreefkapel, Prinsenstraat. Small chapel built in 1734. It is located on the corner of Guldendal and Prinsenstraat.
- 10 Charleroyhoeve, Lierbaan 16. 17th-18th century
- 11 Farm De Diepen Boomgaard (De Diepen Boomgaard hoeve), Rijkenhoekstraat 80, ☏ , email@example.com. Farm shop is open on Tue-Fri: 10:00-17:45 and Sat: 9:00-17:00. Closed on Sunday and Monday. Biological farm housed in historical farm buildings. There is a joining farm shop where you can buy fresh vegetables that were grown on the farm.
- 12 Hof te Poddegem, Diegemput. This historic fortified farm is also known as the Poddegemhoeve. It dates back to the 5th century and used to be property of the Grimbergen abbey. Nowadays it is private property so access is prohibited, but you can catch some views from some of the surrounding streets such as Lintbaan.
- 13 Oyenbrugmolen, Oyenbrugstraat 140. One of the four water mills on the Maalbeek stream in Grimbergen. This mill was named after the family Van Oyenbrugghe. The mill was mentioned for the first time in 1397.
- 14 's Gravenkasteel, Warandestraat. The oldest part of this castle date back to the 15th and 16th century. After intensive reparation works in the 17th century due to war damage the castle was expanded and rebuilt once again in the 19th century. The castle and the park form a fairytalelike atmosphere. The park has limited accession. The place is mostly closed for public, but there are some public events that occasionally take place here.
- Walking and cycling. Grimbergen is a very popular destination for cycling and hiking, thanks to its green surroundings. Especially on sunny weekends you will see many recreational cyclists and walkers. The tourist office will be more than willing to help you out with maps and directions. There are many routes mapped out in the municipality.
- Vier Dorpenroute (Four villages cycling tour) — will show you all the four villages of the Grimbergen municipality.
- Prinsenwandeling (Princes walk) — starts at the church square. Leads to the Prinsenkasteel (castle), the “Guldendal” and the Municipal Hall.
- Maalbeekwandeling (Maalbeek walk) — also starts at the church square and brings the hiker along picturesque places such as the Liermolen, the Charleroyhoeve farm and the Tommenmolen.
- Humbeekwandeling (Maalbeek walk) — in the village of Humbeek. Shows the Lintkasteel (castle), the Saint-Niklaashoeve (farm) and the castle Vroeneveld.
- 1 Thermae (Thermen), Wolvertemsesteenweg 74, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 10.30 - 00:00. A wellness oasis with extensive sauna and bathing facilities, both indoor and outdoor. Enjoy the steam bath, hammam, whirlpool, jacuzzi, swimming pools and numerous saunas and relaxation rooms close to the historic center of Grimbergen. The wood sauna, heated by a fire place, offers a view on the abbey church from the surrounding wetlands. Most of the complex is nude, but a smaller designated area is reserved for those who wish to keep swim wear on. 27€.
- 1 Frituur eric & co, Jozef Vandenberghestraat 35, ☏ . Mon-Tue: 17:00—22:00, Wed-Sun: 17:00—23:30. If you fancy some fries this is the place the average Grimbergen local would send you too. In a local newspaper contest in 2017 this place got out as the best frituur of Grimbergen with the highest number of public votes.
- 2 Tommenmolen, Tommenmolenstraat 18, ☏ . Closed on Thursdays. Located in the historical Tommenmolen mill the place. The place has outdoor sitting on a very picturesque and calm location next to several small lakes and streams.
- 1 Liermolen, Vorststraat 8, ☏ . Small bar located in the historical Liermoren mill.
- 1 Hotel Thermae, Wolvertemsesteenweg 92, ☏ . Wellness hotel located in the center of Grimbergen.
- 2 Hotel Abbey, Kerkeblokstraat 5, ☏ . 4-star hotel with 28 rooms.
- Brussels — the thriving national capital is only a stone's throw away.
- Meise and Vilvoorde — neighboring municipalities with many interesting sights to discover. In Meise you can find the National Plants Garden.
- Mechelen — compact historical city located northeast of Grimbergen.
- Kraainem — a municipality with a rich industrial history to the southeast of Grimbergen.
- Tervuren — an oasis of nature and peace to the south of Brussels.