Flemish Brabant is one of the five provinces of Flanders (Belgium). The province completely surrounds Brussels, the national capital. Brussels however is not a part of the province. The capital Leuven is one of Belgium's largest student cities. The university is one of the oldest universities in this part of Europe and makes the city one with an impressive student tradition.
- 1 Leuven — capital of Flemish Brabant and a thriving centuries old student city
- 2 Aarschot
- 3 Diest
- 4 Grimbergen
- 5 Halle
- 6 Keerbergen
- 7 Kraainem
- 8 Sint-Pieters-Leeuw
- 9 Tienen
- 10 Vilvoorde
Brabantian, a distinct dialect of Dutch, is the language spoken in Flemish Brabant. In the facility municipalities around Brussels French is also spoken. Standard Dutch and English are greatly understood everywhere.
Vlaams-Brabant can be subdivided in the following regions, which all have their own character:
- Pajottenland (West of Brussels
- Groene Gordel (Green belt (around Brussels))
- Dijleland (West of Leuven)
- Hageland (East of Leuven)
- For a good hike or bicycle ride through the woods south of Leuven or for more information about what this region has to offer, have a look at Ad's Path.