Brabantian, a distinct dialect of Dutch, is the language spoken in Flemish Brabant. In the facility municipalities around Brussels French is also spoken. Standard Dutch and English are greatly understood everywhere.
Vlaams-Brabant can be subdivided in the following regions, which all have their own character:
- Pajottenland (West of Brussels
- Groene Gordel (Green belt (around Brussels))
- Dijleland (West of Leuven)
- Hageland (East of Leuven)
- For a good hike or bicycle ride through the woods south of Leuven or for more information about what this region has to offer, have a look at Ad's Path.