During World War II Keerbergen was the command center for the American army that was responsible of protecting the city of Antwerp from the Germans. The command center was in hotel Grand Veneur, where they received calls concerning V weapons.
In 1932 the Keerbergen Airport was inaugurated. The airport was mostly used for baptisms but the Germans also took advantage of the infrastructure. In 1962 the airport gave way for a private lake. The space around the lake was sold into pieces and was turned into an upper class vacation destination with villa's.
Keerbergen's green charm is being reduced as the woods are being replaced by apartment buildings.
The Flemish national bus company, De Lijn, has lines to Keerbergen from Brussels, Mechelen and Aarschot. For more information regarding different timetables (only available in Dutch): https://www.delijn.be.
- 1 Buttermill, Molenstraat. This buttermill hasn't been working in years but it is still one of the prettiest sights in Keerbergen.
- 2 Lake. There is a part of the lake where you can get quite close. It is near the entrance of the local public high school K.A. Keerbergen.
- 3 Heemmuseum, Haachtsebaan 85 A. Sunday 14:00—19:00 between Easter and September. Showcases different kinds of old carriages from all over the region.
- 4 Broekelei. Close to the center of town, there is an access to nature reserve Broekelei. This is a very small area that still has a bunker from World War II and makes for a nice little walk.
- De Zandjan (The Sandman). This statue made in 1986 is featured on the main square. De Zandjan symbolises the 'sandmen' that hoveled sand and transported them in wheelbarrels. After the sand was washed, it was brought to nearby cities Mechelen or Leuven. They poured the white sand on the floor in the living rooms, which gave a clean impression and prevented dust from blowing up.
- 1 The Lake, Mereldreef 1, ☏ . This restaurant probably has the best view in Keerbergen. In summer you can dine on the patio overlooking the lake. €18-40.
- 2 Jan De Volksschilder, Mechelsebaan 127, ☏ . This restaurant is known in the neighbourhoud for its amazing ribs that you can also order to go.
- 3 De Brasserie, Emiel Opdebeecklaan 33, ☏ . This restaurant is a short drive or moderate walk from city center. De Brasserie serves classic, high quality cuisine.
- Café De Planchee, Putsebaan 25. This bar is in the center of town and plays mostly rock music and dance music on the weekends with in house DJ. It is a family-owned bar and quite small. The name of the bar comes from the hardwood floors.
- Café 't Hoekske, Mechelsebaan 2. This bar has parties and happy hour on Fridays but during the week it gets quiet. Prices are quite cheap.
- Depot 39, Putsebaan 39. This bar is a little more expensive. They have a fussball table.
- Het Moleken, Haachtsebaan 1 (Right in the center). They have a pool table.
- Café 't Spieke, Mechelsebaan 70. A little out of the center of Keerbergen but walking distance.
- Bellmondo, Putsebaan 46, ☏ . Cigar and champagne bar. Expensive prices.
There are no sleeping possibilities in Keerbergen. 2.6 km from the center there is a hotel.
- Hotel In den Bonten Os, Rijmenamseweg 214, 2820 Rijmenam. The hotel is modern, the staff is helpful and the serve good breakfast. From €120/night..