Ferencváros is traditional name of the IX. district. The postal code is H-109X. Here is the north end of the longest street in Budapest, the Üllői Street is about fifteen kilometer long. Its old name was 'Road to Szolnok' and it connects five districts.
Churches in Ferencváros
- 1 Chapel of St Barbara (Szent Borbála kápolna), IX. Hentes utca 17./ Bokréta u. 35 ( suburban rail to train stop 'Beöthy utca' and walk or take tram 4, 6 to stop 'Mester utca / Ferenc körút' further tram 51 to stop 'Nagysándor József utca'), ☏ . Mass: First Saturday of every month at 15:00. Catholic church. The founder monks are Belgians. The house at Bokréta Street #35 is a rectory.
- 2 St. Cyril and St. Methodius Bulgarian Orthodox Church (Szent Cirill és Szent Metód Bolgár Pravoszláv templom), IX. Vágóhíd u. 15 ( : Nagyvárad tér and take tram 24 one stop to Balázs Béla utca or walk ten min.walk), ☏ . This is the westernmost Bulgaria Orthodox Church. A listed building. Built in 1919. Architect: Aladar Árkay. Based on the famous Alexander Nevszki Cathedral (in Sofia) and Church of Bachkovsxy Monastery (South-Central Bulgaria). The church has three naves, and domed chapel in which is the Orthodox liturgy premises. The church represents a unique architectural value, the only one Byzantine-style building in Budapest.
- 3 Holy Cross Parish Church (Szent Kereszt Plébánia), IX. Üllői út 145 ( : 'Ecseri út'), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Masses: Sundays and public holidays 07:30, 09:00, 10:30, 12:00, 18:00, Weekdays 06:30, 07:00, 08:00, 18:00, (summer) Sundays and holidays, 07:30, 09:00, 10:30, 12:00, 18:00. Weekdays 07:30, 18:00.. Catholic church. Founded in 1929. The building can accommodate up to 2000 people. Consecrated in1930. Same year it got two bells. The circular dials of tower clock always show the same time, because it was never
- 4 Parish Church of St. Francis of Assisi, Ferencvaros (Ferencvárosi Assisi Szent Ferenc Plébánia, Belső-ferencvárosi plébániatemplom, Bakáts téri templom), IX. Bakáts tér 13. ( : 'Corvin negyed' and walk ten min or tram 4, 6 'Mester utca / Ferenc körút'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Summer masses Sa 17:30, Su 09:30,17:30. A Catholic church, The first church consecrated in 1822, but that in 1838 the floods of Pest destroyed. The new church, now can be seen, built by Ybl Miklós, between 1867 and 1879, in French Romanesque style, A Christ-relief seen on the triangular pediment of the church, above above a statue of St. Francis. Under the whole church is a neo-Romanesque, columned, cross-nave crypt, The frescoes in the sanctuary painted by Than Mór and Lotz Károly.
- 5 New Life Lutheran Community (Ferencvárosi Forrás Gyülekezet), IX. Toronyház u. 3/b. ( : Pöttyös utca. - József Attila housing estate, in the great hall of the Community House of Desi Huber), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Every Sundays 10.00-12.00. Baptist Church, Pentecostal Church.
- 6 Gate of Buddhist Temple? (Tan Kapuja Buddhista Egyház), IX. Börzsöny u. 11. (Tram 3 to Csengettyű utca, or bus 181, 281 to Lobogó utca), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Every Wednesday masses of Gate of Zen Community in the Dharma Hall.
- 7 St. Vincent Parish Church (Szent Vince Plébánia Templom), IX. Haller u. 19-21. (Tram 4, 6 take to stop Mester utca / Ferenc körút further tram 51, 51A or : Nagyvárad tér + tram 24 to stop 'Haller utca / Mester utca' or an interesting way take boat D16 to pier Haller utca + tram 24 one stop to 'Haller utca / Mester utca'), ☏ . Office (beside the church) M, F 09:00-12:00, Tu, Th 16:00-17:00, W 09:00-12:00 and 16:00-17:00. A listed building. Catholic church. Built in 1935-36, designed by architect Gaspar Fabian. Named after Pali St. Vincen. A cross-nave Romanesque parish church. Farewell: 27 Sept. Adoration: 19 Jul and 27 Sept.
- 8 [dead link] Pava Street synagogue (Páva utcai Zsinagóga), IX. Páva u. 39., ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. A listed building. Built in 1923 by Leopold Baumhorn. This synagogue was built to be unobtrusive, in order to try to hide in plain sight from the Jew-hatred of those days. The interior is resplendent in blue, gold and white colors. Decorated with a Jewish religious symbol, like the biblical king's sons, Jachin and Boaz pillars, vault with the Star of David or the winding Maccabean lilies on the walls. Around this structured the Holocaust Memorial Center: a museum, a documentation center, a library, an archives, a media library and a conference room.
- 9 Church of Perpetual Adoration (Örökimádás templom), IX. Üllői út 77. (M3 'Klinikak'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Catholic church. The convent and the headquarter of Altar Society completed in 1908, in Neo-Gothic style by plan of Sandor Aigner. The church facade and tower built of carved limestone, Above the entrance is a relief: the Blessed Sacrament with two angels can be see. At the entrance also are two niche with paton saints, Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elisabeth. Twenty meters above the entrance a gallery runs, there starting the bellhouse. Inside: Chapel of Our Lady, the Helper; Chapel of the Holy Cross, Chapel of St. Joseph, spacious sacristy, nine meter high marble Main altar with a two-manual, 28-register organ.
- 10 Reformed Church on Kalvin square (Kálvin téri református templom), IX. Kálvin tér 7 (M3, M4 Kálvin tér or bus 9, 15 to stop Kálvin ter or tram 47, 49 to stop Kálvin ter.), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Pastoral Office M 10.00-13.00, Tu 09.00-13:00, Th 13.30-17:30. The second largest Protestant church in the capital.The neo-classical style church, built between 1816 and 1830, based on Hilda Vince's plans. Originally designed with two towers. The two separate base of the never-built two towers is made, and the tower in the middle standing on edges of two base. The organ is a work of the Viennese Deutschmann company, in 1831. The foyer is decorated with columned tympanum. The side choirs was built between 1854 and 1855, according to plans by József Hild. On the south side located the Kálvin's room. The glass paintings in the Kálvin Hall, made by Miksa Roth, Christian symbols and famous Protestant ecclesiastical history persons, John Calvin, Bocskai István Bethlen Gábor, are depicted. In the middle of the stave vault rises an elliptical dome. The interior white surfaces decorated with golded stucco. One of the main sight is Zichy Mano's wife's tomb.
- 11 Kanizius St. Peter's Church (Kaniziusz Szent Péter templom), IX. Gát u. 4. (Tram 4, 6 take to stop Mester utca / Ferenc körút further Tram 51, 51A to stop 'Szakorvosi rendelő', or : 'Klinikák' and walk 400 m), ☏ . Mass: Sa 17:00 and the first Sunday of every month: 15:00 also there held lutheran and copt masses. Catholic church. In 1903 the members of St. Vincent order, so called lazarists, built a three-story convent and church (190 m²), based on plan of Antal Hofhauser. In 1941 the National Union of Craftsmen and Youth worker got the building, using for center and headquarter Ferencvárosi Evangélikus Imaterem. Pastoral office and chapel IX. Haller utca 19-21. (First floor of the building behind the Roman Catholic Church) Directions: from Nagyvárad tér (M3) take tram 24 to stop 'Mester utca'. From Nagykörút (tram 4, 6) take tram 51/51A to stop Haller utca. The community church is: Kaníziusz St. Peter's Church of the Gat street. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12 Misssion House of Béla Bartók Unitarian Church (Misszióháza a Bartók Béla Unitárius Egyházközségnek), IX. Hőgyes Endre utca 3. ( :' Corvin-negyed'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Masses on Sundays 10:00. Founded by: the British and the American Unitarian associations in 1923. Church opened in 1929. The building is rectangular. It was built for rental house in 1899. The church practically hidden inside the building. A couple of sights: Bartók triple headboard, painted benches, coffered ceilings. Also can be seen here the carved wooden plaque pained by William Wilder Howland (USA) in 1931.
- 13 Ráday Street synagogue (Ráday utcai Zsinagóga), IX. Ráday u. 9. ( : Corvin-negyed), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Kabbalat Shabbat services every Friday at 18:00. The temple of Sim Shalom Progressive Jewish Community. A member of the World Union for Progressive Judaism. It used to be an inn called 'Two lions'. A listed building.
Other sights in Ferencváros
- 14 Bible Museum (Ráday Gyűjtemény - Biblia Múzeum), IX. Ráday utca 28 ( : Corvin negyed), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 10:00-17:00. Three thousand years ago the world of the Bible. Since 2013 it has been closed for renovation.
- 15 Groupama Arena (Florian Albert Stadium, Albert Flórián Stadion, Üllői úti stadion), IX. Üllői út 129 ( : 'Népliget' 100 m, Tram 1 Bus 103, 901, 914, 914A, 918, 937, 950 to stop 'Népliget'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon closed, Tu-Th 10:00-18:00 (by appointment) , Fri 10:00-19:00 and Sa-Su 10:00-16:00 (tours starts every hour 15 minutes, 50 minutes.). This is a multipurpose stadium. Here was the former Florian Albert Stadium which is built in 1910-11, renovated in 1971-1974, and demolished in 2013. Since 2014 operating the new stadium. Also here is the FTC Visitor Centre, with Museum Fradi and Ferencvaros Torna Club (FTC) official fan shop open Monday to Friday: 10:00-18:00. There is a 3-meter tall statue of Ferencváros legend Ballon d'Or winner Flórián Albert in front of the main entrance. Sándor Kligl, sculptor and artist, was asked to make the bronze statue. Museum ticket (full price/student, retired) Ft1500/1300. Combined tickets: Museum and Stadium Tour (full price/student, retired) Ft1900/1599.
- 16 Cellar Theatre (Pinceszínház), IX. Török Pál utca 3 ( , : Kálvin tér), ☏ , fax: . ticket office opening M-F 14:00-18:00 hours and on weekends one hour before performances. Ft1300-2800 (2014).
- 17 Attila József's birthplace (József Attila szülőháza), IX. Gát utca 3. (Tram 4, 6 take to stop Mester utca / Ferenc körút further Tram 51, 51A to stop 'Szakorvosi rendelő' or M3 'Klinikák' half km). Only from outside. Attila József (Hungarian: [ˈɒtːilɒ ˈjoːʒɛf]; 11 April 1905 – 3 December 1937) was the best known of the modern Hungarian poets internationally. A couple of his poems in English. The building now is a listed place. An U-shaped, one-story building
- 18 CET, IX. Fővám tér 11-12 (tram: 2), ✉ email@example.com. 9:30-20:00. It is also called as BÁLNA (Whale) and the venue of exhibitions, cultural and entertainment events. It is a beautiful glass building near the Martket Hall. It was designed by Kas Oosterhuis.
- 19 Holocaust Memorial Center (Holokauszt Emlékközpont), IX. 39 Páva St (tram: 4-6 'Corvin-negyed' stop, : Corvin-negyed station, tram: 51-51A – Bokréta Street stop), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su: 10.00-18.00. This is a former synagogue, the Pava Synagogue. That dates back to the 1920s and serves as a memorial and museum for and about Hungarian Jews that were killed in The Holocaust. Adult €5, discount €3.
- 20 Museum of Applied Arts (Iparművészeti Múzeum), IX. Üllői út 33-37 ( : 'Corvin-negyed' Or tram: 4, 6 further tram: 51-51A – Bokréta Street stop), ☏ . Tu-Su 10.00-18.00. The museum home is a masterpiece of Hungarian Art Nouveau, built between 1893 and 1896 to plans by Ödön Lechner and Gyula Pártos. Collections of: furnitures, ceramics, glasses, metalworks, textiles and costumes. The visitors are welcomed into a unique space that was named as the most impressive in Budapest, beside the city’s panorama itself by Frank Owen Gehry, one of the leading architects in our time. The modern building is organically linked to the Páva Street Synagogue, an authentic venue that once used to be the second largest site for Jewish worship in Budapest. permanent exhibitions €7, Student €3, Bigot-pavilon same, Combined: €10, Student €4.
- 21 Ludwig Museum of Modern Art (Ludwig Múzeum – Kortárs Művészeti Múzeum, Művészetek Palotája), IX. Komor Marcell u. 1. (tram: 2 or 1 to Lágymányos bridge), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu: 10.00-20.00, We-Su: 10.00-18.00. Museum of Contemporary Art collects and displays masterworks of modern and contemporary art. Focusing on Eastern and Central European art, it also puts a special emphasis on presenting the Hungarian art of the 1960s throught to the contempoary era in an international context. Adult €2.7, €1.4.
- 22 Corvinus University of Budapest (Budapesti Corvinus Egyetem,formerly Budapest University of Economic Sciences), IX. Fővám tér 8. (Next to the Grand Market Hall. Tram 2, 47, 48, 49, bus 15)), ☏ , fax: . Welcome Office M-F 09:00-12:00.. Established in 1920. This is the university's main building — now part of the [UNESCO] Heritage Site, It was finished in 1874, planned by Miklós Ybl in Neo-Renaissance style. The building originally was called "Vámház" (Customs House) and "Fővámpalota" (Chief Customs Palace). The building was connected to ports of the Danube by four tunnels. It had a railroad connection. During World War II the Hungarian, German and Soviet troops used the building as a military base. The Customs House suffered serious damage during the war. In 1948 it became the main building of the University of Economical Sciences, colloquially known as 'Közgáz'. It underwent major renovations in 1950 and later in 1989-1990. Much of the education of the business faculties (Faculty of Business Administration, Economics, Social Sciences) takes place in the main building. This is the location of the rector's offices as well.- See more at Budapest#Learn chapter. Formerly Budapest University of Economic Sciences)
- 23 Lottóház apartment building (Lottóház), IX. Üllői út 49-53 ( : 'Corvin-negyed'). Apartmans of gambling winners. Built in 1957-59. Designed by architect Csics Miklós (1928-1985).
- Central Market (Központi Vásárcsarnok
- 24 Palace of Arts, Ludwig Museum (Művészetek Palotája, Ludwig Múzeum – Kortárs Művészeti Múzeum), IX. Komor Marcell utca 1. (Near Lágymányosi híd. : 'Népliget' further take tram 1 or bus 103 to stop 'Lágymányosi híd, pesti hídfő', or take tram 4, 6 to Boráros tér further tram: 2 to Millenniumi Kulturális Központ stop or From Boráros tér take Csepeli HÉV one stop to 'Lágymányosi híd' train stop), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 10:00-18:00, Temporary exhibitions: Tu-Su 10:00-20:00, closed on Mondays.. The foundations of the Ludwig Museum based gifts from a couple living Aachen. The Ludwig's gave seventy contemporary works of art. The museum has three floors. Continuously different periodic exhibitions are organized. Fortemporary exhibitions and collections exhibition are valid full-price ticket: Ft2200.
- 25 Trafó Contemporary Arts House (Trafó Kortárs Művészetek Háza), IX. Tűzoltó utca / Liliom u. 41. (M3 Corvin-negyed), ☏ (ticket information), fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Open: Ticket office: performance days 16-22h, other day 16-20, - Trafó Gallery daily 16-19h, performance days: 16-22h. Closed on Mondays. - Trafó Cafe M - F 10 - 23:30, Sa-Su 16-22:30. Contemporary art gallery. Exhibition and artists' house. It was the South-Pest transformer (this is the reason to named Trafo) building, a typical industrial Art Nouveau creation. +36 1 456 2044 +Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Permanent ticket for 3/5/7 visits: Ft6600/10,000/12,600.
- 26 Grand Market Area (Nagyvásártelep), IX. Hídépítő u. - Helyi kikötő út (Tram 2 to terminal 'Közvágóhíd ' and walk cca. half km). Under renovation (almost ten years ago!). It is on November 18, 1932, opened to the public. It would have the main fruit and vegetable distribution center of Budapest. The large hall is 247 m long and 42 m wide. At the time of opening it was the country's largest indoor facility. Around 1900, Ferencvaros was the main food storage for Budapest. The district's external borders also meant the border of Budapest. Here was the end of the railway lines and here established river access, which resulted the carriers easily could sell to retailers in the country produced, or imported, foods. Since 2004 it has been a listed building .
- 27 Museum of Mill (Malomipari Múzeum), IX. Soroksári ut 24 (From downtown take tram 2 to 'Haller utca / Soroksári út'), ☏ . temporarily closed. Industrial History Museum in a listed building. Former Concordia Hungária Mill. The permanent exhibition area is approx. 750 m². The showrooms are located on five floors. More than 300 objects, 60 tableaux, many hundreds of pictures and documents illustrating the history of the Hungarian mill industry. Closed
- 28 Cultural Center of Ferencváros (Ferencvárosi Művelődési Központ, korábban Hámán Kató úti Úttörőház), IX. Haller u. 27. (From : Ecseri út take tram 24 to stop Balázs Béla utca), ☏ , , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. institutions: Desi Culture House, Community House, Local History Collection, Attila József Memorial place (temporarily located on the second floor of the Cultural Center), Ferencvaros Basement Gallery - Architect: Istvan Szabo, 1962.
- 29 Ráday Library of the Reformed Church (Ráday Könyvtár), IX. Ráday utca 28. (Inside the building of the Theological Faculty of Gáspár Károli Reformed University; on the ground floor. - : Kálvin tér and walk or : 'Fővám tér' further take bus 5 to Ráday utca), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M, Tu, Th, F 09:00-17:00, W 13:00-17:00, Sa 09:00-13:00. Closed in July and August (except on Mondays when guaranteed the full services).. A department of the Ráday Collections of the Danubian District of the Hungarian Reformed Church. Periodicals and manuscripts, museal rarities. Services are: borrowing; local reading hall; copy service; general guide or professional lecture in the museal part of the library. Loan fee occasionally Ft1000.
- 30 Palace of Arts, National Theatre (Nemzeti Színház), IX. Bajor Gizi park 1. (near Lágymányosi híd, on the bank of the Danube,between the Soroksári road, the Grand Boulevard and the Lágymányosi Bridge, and is a five-minute walk from the Csepel HÉV suburb train stop 'Lágymányosi híd'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. is the main theatre of Budapest. The park that surrounds the area has numerous memorials commemorating the Hungarian drama and film industry.
- 31 Strolling along on Ráday street, IX. Ráday utca ( : Kálvin tér). Mostly only from outside. Monuments [dead link]: No. 13 Inn to the Two Lions, No. 14, Mellinger House, No. 18 George Karolyi's apartment building, No. 43 College, No. 8, 11-13, 15, 16, 26, 36, 61, Residential buildings
- 32 Szent-Györgyi Albert Ground School (Szent-Györgyi Albert Általános Iskola), IX. Lónyay utca 4-6 ( : 'Fővám tér' further take bus 15 to 'Török Pál utca'). The school attended by the characters in Ferenc Molnár's youth novel, "The Paul Street Boys".
- 33 Semmelweis University Centre of Theoretical Medicine (Semmelweis Egyetem, Semmelweis Medical University), IX. Tűzoltó utca 37-43 ( : Klinikák), ☏ . Designed by Tamas Noll and Teampannon Studio. Built in 2008. The centre accommodates 5 theoretical institutes, 25 laboratories, 5 auditoriums, a sports centre, a restaurant and several offices. - Listed building at Űllői út 93. Institute of Pathology No.2
- 34 Saint Emeric College (Szent Imre Kollégium), Ráday utca 43-45 ( : Kálvin tér). Only outside. Corvinus University College. Interesting building. The main facade is in deep inside between the two neighbor buildings.
- 35 Cornerhouse (Sarokház, Károlyi György-féle bérház), Ráday utca 18 and Erkel Ferenc utca 15 ( : Kálvin tér). Two-story, neo-Renaissance cornerhouse. The designer: Miklós Ybl, built in 1875.
- 36 Zwack Unicum Museum & Visitor Centre (Zwack Unicum Múzeum és Látogatóközpont), IX. Soroksári út 26, entry from Dandár utca (Tram 2 to stop 'Haller utca / Soroksári út'), ☏ . Museum: M-Sa 10:00-17:00, Shop: M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-18:00. English guided tours are available for groups! Group registration: +36 1 4762383. - Shop: Dandár utca 1. Visitors can watch a film about the Zwack family’s and the Zwack company’s history (circa 20 min). There is the biggest mini bottle collection of Central Europe contains more than 17,000 different pieces. Visit the Unicum cellar which is a labyrinth with almost 500 oak barrels and tasting some original Unicum and the Unicum Plum directly from barrel. Adult ticket: Ft1800 (with tasting), Group (above 20 people)/Senior ticket: Ft1500 (with tasting). Student ticket (under 18): Ft800 (without tasting), combined ticket (inclide the Holocaust Memorial Center’s exhibition) Adult/Group or Senior/Student Ft2800/2200/1000.
- Dandár street Spa (Dandár utcai gyógyfürdő), IX. Dandár utca 5-7. vízellátást az erre a célra létesített, a közeli Közraktár utcában lévő kútból oldották meg, melynek vízminősége Gellért Gyógyfürdő vizével közel azonos. -Termál medence 60 m² alapterülettel, vízhőmérséklet: 36°C, Termál medence 25 m² alapterülettel, vízhőmérséklet: 34°C, Merülő medence 15 m² alapterülettel, vízhőmérséklet. 20°C.
- 1 Palace of Arts (Művészetek Palotája), Komor Marcell utca 1 (tram: 2 to Millenniumi Kulturális Központ stop), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-18:00. This modern, power plant-looking building hides an excellent modern art museum (Ludwig Múzeum), a festival theatre (Fesztivál Színház) and the marvellous Béla Bartók National Concert Hall (Bartók Béla Nemzeti Hangversenyterem), which offer great concerts from classical, jazz and world music to Hungarian and international pop, special children programmes and the best opera performances in Central Europe. The annual Wagner festival in June is a must. Spectacles are held all around the year. Book your tickets at the Palace of the Arts home page without additional booking fee. Ft700-9,800 for students are available for Ft200 one hour before every show.
- 2 Trafó House of Contemporary Arts (Trafó Kortárs Művészetek Háza), Liliom utca 41 ( : 'Ferenc körút', tram: 4-6 stop Üllői út). 16:00-22:00. In a renovated transformer building, Budapest's most important contemporary cultural centre presents Hungarian and international experimental dance, theatre and music performances. A disco hall in the cellar and a lively bar upstairs also serve your entertainment. Ft1,000-2,500, 25% discount for student.
- 1 FHB Headquaters, Űllői road Premium Branch (Fejlesztési és Hitelbank székház, Budapest Prémium Űllői úti Fiók), IX. Üllői út 48, ( : Corvin-negyed, tram 4, 6 to Corvin-negyed), ☏ . M-Th 08:00-18:00, F 08:00-16:00. ATM 0-24.
- 2 [dead link] MKB Bank (Magyar Külkereskedelmi Bank), IX. Soroksári út 3/C (Tram 2, 4, 6 to stop Boráros tér), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 10:00-18:00, F 10:00-17:00. +Other units: X. Örs vezér tere 25. (Árkád Shopping Centre, first floor), XIV. Hungária krt. 130. General branches M 08:00-17:30, Tu-Th 08:00-16:30, F 08:00-15:00 , Central Business branches M-Th 10:00-18:00, F 10:00-17:00.
- 3 OTP Bank, IX. Ferenc krt. 13. (Tram 4, 6 to stop Mester utca / Ferenc körút), ☏ , fax: . Other units in districts 9th: IX. Soroksári út 32-34. (Haller kert), IX. Tinódi u. 9-11., IX. Lobogó u. 18.
- 4 Spar supermarket (Spar szupermarket), IX.Napfény utca 10 (Bus 181, 281 to stop Lobogó utca), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 06.30-21.00, Sa 07.00-17.00, Su 07.00-14.00. Supermarket chain. More units in district 9th: IX.Mester utca 1, (M-F 06.30-22.00, Sa 07.00-21.00, Su 08.00-20.00)., IX.Ráday utca 32, (M-F 07.00-22.00, Sa 07.00-20.00, Su 08.00-19.00)., IX.Mester utca 30-32., (M-F 06.30-22.00, Sa 07.00-18.00, Su 08.00-18.00)., IX.Soroksári út 1., (M-F 06.30-21.00, Sa 06.30-17.00, Su 08.00-13.00)., IX.Üllői út 147., (M-F 06.30-21.00, Sa 07.00-17.00, Su 07.00-14.00).,
- 5 Great Market Hall (Nagy Vásárcsarnok), IX.Vámház körút 1-3 (tram: 2, 47, 49 to Fővám tér or : 'Fővám tér'), ☏ . M 06:00-17:00, Tu-F 06:00-18:00, Sa 06:00-15:00. A grand old three-level market hall, with a modern supermarket in the basement, small stalls selling mostly gourmet food items on the ground floor (more paprika and goose liver than you can shake a stick at) and handicrafts on the second floor. It is very touristy these days but still worth a visit. Bargaining and comparison-shopping are recommended.
The Langos stand is a tourist scam, serving up a deep-fried snack called "Langos". Base prices are listed prominently, but the server will pile on additional condiments and it is not made clear that these cost extortionately extra. Before you know it, you will end up with a US$30 or $40 pancake, charged in Hungarian forint.
Malls and department stores
- 6 Lurdy House Shopping and Conference Center (Lurdy Ház), IX, Könyves Kálmán krt. 12-14. (Ferencváros, From Downtown take tram 2 to terminal Közvágóhíd and take bus 103, to stop 'Mester utca / Könyves Kálmán körút' (one stop) or from tram 4, 6 stop 'Mester utca / Ferenc körút' take tram 51, 51A to stop 'Könyves Kálmán körút' or), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Stores M-F 10.00-20.00, Sa 10.00-19.00, Su 10.00-19.00. - Premium Real Food Store M-F 07.30-21.00, Sa 09.00-20.00, Su 10.00-18.00. - 'MIMOZINK' (multiplex cinema) ticket desk M-F 12.45-21.30, Sa 09.45-21.30, Su 09.45-21.30.. Stores : Women's, Men's and children's fashion, shoes, bags, leather lingerie, jewelery, watches, sports and leisure, clothing, sporting goods perfume, beauty products, Health care goods, books, newspapers, paper irószer, toy, gift, Electronics goods, wares, Photo , optics, food, Bank. - Catering: Burger House, Il Treno, McCafé, McDonald's, Bajnokok Salátázója (salad bar), Bőségtál restaurant, Ízvilág restaurant, Kínai restaurant (Chinese food), Koffein Cafe and brandy house, Mom's kitchen, Megálló Restaurant (grilled dishes), Páholy sandwich, Pasteria Toscana, Pogisarok (snacks), Semiramis babkávézó (Cafe), Thai Food. - Entertainment: Mi Mozink (cinema), Kalandpark Playhouse, Lurkó Bill (for kids), Stonehenge pubs. - Services: banks, showrooms of cellular phone providers, laundry, dry cleaning, fitness center, photo developing, Lottery, massage, optics, Auto tire repair and store, car wash, quick printing,
- 7 Aldi discount store (Aldi diszkontáruház), IX. Vámház körút 1-3 ( : 'Vámház körút', in the Great Hall Market). M-F 06:00-21:00, Sa 06:00-21:00, Su 08:00-21:00. Discount store chain. -Plus units: XIII. Váci út 14. (daily 07:00-22:00, IX. Tűzoltó utca 10-16. (daily 07:00-22:00)
- 8 CBA supermarket (CBA szupermarket), IX.Ferenc tér 13. (Near to Holocaust Center, - : Corvin-negyed), ☏ . M-F 06.15-21.00, Sa 07.00-21.00, Su closed. Supermarket chain. + units in district 9th: Bakáts tér 3., Liliom utca 43,. Haller utca 11.
- 1 Restaurants in Ráday utca, IX. Ráday utca ( : Kálvin tér). Vary. Soul Café [dead link], Nándori Cukrászda, Orfeusz Söröző, Kék Fazék Restaurant, Red Stagecoach Restaurant, Berliner Pub [dead link], Marie Kristensen Sandwich Bar, Costes Restobar, Raday Street Beer Cellar, Gotti Restaurant [dead link], Sundance Sandwich, Jaffa Cafe, CLARO restaurant and bistro, Louis Prima Pizzeria [dead link], Rizsa Macrobiotic and Vegan Restaurant [dead link]. Prices vary.
- 2 Fakanál Restaurant (Fakanál Étterem, Wooden Spoon Restaurant), IX. Vámház krt. 1-3. (2nd floor) ( Vámház krt), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M 09:00-16:45; Tu-F 09:00-17:45; Sa 09:00-14:45; Su Closed. +Mobil: +36 30 740 8765. Located in the Central Market Hall. Off-site catering, organizing of event. Excellent cuisine, traditional Hungarian dishes, generous portions, live gypsy music, fine Hungarian wines and Hungarian home-cooked cuisine. Self-service restaurant. On morning between 09.00-11.00 (four types) Ft390-1 700. Lunch from 11:00 soups (two) Ft980, main ten types Ft1900-3200, fried meats (three) Ft1 700-2 900, Garnish (eight types) Ft460-1000. Fresh fruit and homemade pies Ft590-790.
- 9 Obi (Obi barkácsáruház), IX. Soroksári út. 33. (Tram 2, 24, 51A to Közvágóhíd), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 08.00-20.00. DIY chain. More units: XIV. Fogarasi út 28-54. (Tel.: 36 40 21 22 23, M-Sa 08.00-20.00, Su 08.00-19.00), IV. Szent Imre u. 1. (Tel.:36 40 21 22 23, M-Sa 08.00-20.00, Su 08.00-18.00), XIX. Vak Bottyán utca 75/A (Tel.: +36 40 212223, M- Sa 08.00 - 20.00 Su 08.00-18.00)
- 10 Praktiker home improvement store (Praktiker barkácsáruház), IX., Mester utca 87 (Tram 1, 51, bus 103), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08.00–20:00, Sa 09.00–20:00, Su 09.00-18.00. More than 40 000 products
- 3 Restaurants in Ráday utca, IX. Ráday utca ( : Kálvin tér). Vary. Soul Café [dead link], Nándori Cukrászda, Orfeusz Söröző, Kék Fazék Restaurant, Red Stagecoach Restaurant, Berliner Pub [dead link], Marie Kristensen Sandwich Bar, Costes Restobar, Raday Street Beer Cellar, Gotti Restaurant [dead link], Sundance Sandwich, Jaffa Cafe, CLARO restaurant and bistro, Louis Prima Pizzeria [dead link], Rizsa Macrobiotic and Vegan Restaurant [dead link]. Prices vary.
- 4 Fakanál Restaurant (Fakanál Étterem, Wooden Spoon Restaurant), IX. Vámház krt. 1-3. (2nd floor) ( Vámház krt), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M 09:00-16:45; Tu-F 09:00-17:45; Sa 09:00-14:45; Su Closed. +Mobil: +36 30 740 8765. Located in the Central Market Hall. Off-site catering, organizing of event. Excellent cuisine, traditional Hungarian dishes, generous portions, live gypsy music, fine Hungarian wines and Hungarian home-cooked cuisine. Self-service restaurant. On morning between 09.00-11.00 (four types) Ft390-1 700. Lunch from 11:00 soups (two) Ft980, main ten types Ft1900-3200, fried meats (three) Ft1 700-2 900, Garnish (eight types) Ft460-1000. Fresh fruit and homemade pies Ft590-790.
- Taiwan Restaurant, IX. Gyáli út 3 ( : Nagyvárad tér station), ☏ . Daily 12:00–24:00. one of the best Chinese restaurants available in Budapest
- 5 [dead link] Berliner Pub (Berliner Sörkatakomba - Söröző - Pub - Bár), IX. Ráday utca 5 (near 'Kalvin ter'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa: 11:00-24:00, Su: 11:00-23:00. Try for high-quality, medium-budget food. Excellent service, fresh beer, huge meals. Recommended (Jan 2010). Appetizer €3-8, soups €3, pasta €6-8, berliner classic €6-8, bier (more than a dozen) 0,33 l €3.3-3.6.
- 6 Carevec Bulgarian Restaurant (Carevec Étterem), IX. Vágóhíd utca 62 entrace from Fehér Holló street #2 ( : Nagyvárad tér and take tram 24 one stop to Balázs Béla utca or walk ten min.), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 12:00-23:00. Hungarian and international specialties in all year can be found in the Restaurant and summer in the garden as well. There is a Cellar Pub and Wine Bar. Favorited by the local Bulgarian Community.
- 7 Kaltenberg restaurant (Kaltenberg Sörház & Étterem), IX. Kinizsi utca 30-36, ( : Corvin-negyed), ☏ , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon - Sat: 11:30-23; Sunday: Closed.
- 8 [dead link] Raday Pest Restaurant (Ráday Pesti Vendéglő), IX. Ráday utca 11 ( : Kálvin tér), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Snacks € 5-8, Hamburgers €8.8-12.0, Vegetarian dishes €5.0-8.0, Soups €3.5, Salads €3.5-7.0, Pickles €2.8, Classic Hungarian dishes €2.8-15.0, Poultries €7.1-14.0, Pork dishes €8.2-11.5, Beef and veal dishes €7.1-21.4, Meat dishes €9.6-12.3, Fish 100-gr €3.6-10.3, Giant prawns €15.0, Garnish €2.0-3.5, desserts €3.5-4.3.
- 9 Costes restaurant (Costes étterem), IX. Ráday utca 4 ( : Kálvin tér), ☏ , fax: . from Wednesday to Sunday 18:30-24:00 hours (kitchen closes at 23:00). Hungary's first Michelin-star restaurant. Masterful tastes, the artistic presentation, the attention to details, a mindful service, a pleasant atmosphere. Dress code: smart casual. Service: free parking in Hotel Ibis. Menus: 3 dishes and dessert €75 with wine €110. 3 dishes, cheese or pre-dessert and dessert €85, with wine €130. 4 dishes, cheese or pre-dessert and dessert €100, with wine pairing €150. 7-course menu €110, with wine €170.
Bars & Clubs
- 1 Borpince Winery (Borpince borozó, Nagyvárad Borozó), IX. Haller utca 88. (Near to Ludovika park and the Hungarian Natural History Museum. - : Nagyvárad tér, tram 24 , bus 281).  [dead link] Cheapie.
- 2 Budapest Park Club, IX. Soroksári út 60. (Tram number 1, 2, 24 and 51, the bus number 23, 54, 55, 103 and 179, the suburban railway number H6 and H7., night bus number 901, 918, 923, 937 and 979.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M, Tu, Sa, Su: Program-Specific, Th, F, Sa: 17:00-05:00, Ticket office: M-Sa 17:00-20:00. Europe's largest, open throughout the summer, open-air club. Concerts. Tickets from Ft1000.
- 1 Haller Camping, Haller utca 27, vehicles enter by Obester ut (SE of centre, 500 m W of Nagyvárad tér metro), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 24/7. Comfy campsite, with restaurant. €5 pp, €9 tent, €13 van. Free car parking..
- 2 Budapest Budget Hostel, IX. Ipar utca 15-21 (400 m E of Petofi bridge / Boraros ter), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hostel with 30 rooms. Free WiFi, family room, garden, parking (Ft2500/day) Sgl Shared / Private Bathroom €22/24 twin / dbl / tpl (Shared Bathroom) €36 / 28 / 36, twin/dbl/tpl with bathroom €34/34/48, four/five/six bed dorm €12/11/8-12 per bed.
- 3 Hotel Rila, IX. Fehér Holló utca 2 (2.5 km SE of centre. 200 m W of Nagyvárad tér metro), ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 24/7. 2-star with single, double, triple and quadruple rooms with bathroom (shower and toilet). Hostel has two-bed rooms with shared bathroom and a five-bed dorm with separate beds. Services: 24-hour front desk, telephone in all rooms, safety deposit box, luggage room, bike storage, pets are welcome, free closed parking. Single/Double/Triple / Quad €36/48/66/80, Studio Single/Double with shared bath €34/44, family room with private bathroom €85 dorm with shared bath €17.
- Suite Hostel, Imre Utca 4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Very good hostel near the Great Market Hall with kitchen, tv room, washer/dryer, lockers, wi-fi and good customer service.
- 4 ibis Budapest Aero, X. Ferde utca 1-3 (5 km SE of centre opposite Határ út metro), ☏ , fax: , , ✉ email@example.com. 3-star chain with 139 rooms. There is a garden with a terrace area, secure parking, a bar open 24 hours as well as three meeting rooms, air conditioning and free WiFi Internet access. 50€.
- 1 Post Office (Magyar Posta), IX. Napfény utca 10. (Bus 181, 281 to stop Lobogó utca), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-18:00, Sa 08:00-13:00, Su closed. More units in district 9th: Soroksári út 38-42. (M-F 08:00-16:00), Üllői út 89 / A (M-F 09:00-17:00), Gönczy Pál utca 2. first floor. #4 (M-F 08: 00-19: 00), Könyves Kálmán körút 12-14. Lurdy Ház Shopping Center. (M-F 10:00-20:00, Sa, Su 10:00-16:00).