Józsefváros is traditional name of the VIII. district, literally meaning "Josephtown" and referring to Emperor Joseph II of Austria and Hungary. This area is a popular, with scores of students and several cafés and pizzerias. Keleti (Eastern) Railway Station is located at the junction of 7th, 8th and 14th districts.
- 1 Józsefváros District Parking Enforcement (Józsefvárosi Közterületi és Parkolási Rendészet), VIII. Német u. 17-19 (From m4 ten mins walk or tram 4, 6 to stop Harminckettesek tere), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-17:00. Three parking zones. Zone #1( Palace neighborhood ) Ft440 per hour between 08:00-20:00, Zone #2 Ft265 per hour between 08:00-18:00, Zone #3 - Chip Card can be purchased here (Német u. 17) in units Ft5000, Ft10,000, Ft30,000. You can also pay with mobile or cash. See the zone map.
- 1 Gyulai Pál Street Reformed Church (Gyulai Pál utcai Református templom), VII. Gyulai Pál u. 9. ( 'Blaha Lujza tér'or tram: 4, 6 to stop 'Blaha Lujza tér'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. worship on Sunday morning 11.30. Found in 1948. feb. It has 300 seats on a large prayer room. Sights: a 21sq m size three panes of glass representing Christ and the four evangelists (copy), there are three bells, the new bell is the largest, 710kg. Over the chorus is a round, depicting the crucified Christ, window made by Miksa Roth.
- 2 Our Lady of Hungarians Church (Rezső téri Magyarok Nagyasszonya templom), VIII. Rezső square ( : 'Népliget' or : 'Nagyvárad tér').
- 3 Remembrance Reformed church (Emlékezet Temploma, Nagyvárad téri Református Egyházközség temploma), VIII. Üllői street 90 ( : 'Nagyvárad tér'). Consecrated in 1935.
- 4 Sacred Heart of Jesus Church (Mária utcai Jézus Szíve Templom), VIII. Mária utca 25. (tram 4, 6 'Harminckettesek tere' or : 'Kálvin tér'), ☏ , fax: . Masses on Sundays and public holidays: 06:00, 07:00 08:00, 09:00,10:30, 12:00, 18:00 and 20:00, English-language Mass on every Saturday at 17:00 (summer Mass schedule: 17:30). The church was built between 1888 and 1909 according to plans by József Kauser. The Pest Heart of Jesus church is the central church of the Hungarian Jesuits.
- 5 St Joseph's Parish Church in Joseph Town (Szent József templom, Szent József Római katolikus plébániatemplom), VIII. Horváth Mihály tér 7. (From : Deák Ferenc tér take bus 9 or from : Fővám tér take trolley 83 to Horváth Mihály tér), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Office hours: M 12:30-16:30, W 08:30-16:30, F 08:30-12:30. Monument. Built in 1797–1798, in copf style according by plan József Tallher, rebuilt by Kasselik Fidél in 1814, remodelled in eclectic style by Elek Barcza in 1891-1895.
- 6 Chapel of St Roch (Szent Rókus kápolna), VIII. Rákóczi út 31 (trolley 74 to stop Nagy Diófa utca, bus 5, 7, 8, 8a, 112, 178 to stop Uránia, or M2 Blaha Lujza tér and ten mins walk), ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 06:50-17:45, F 06:50-12:00. Built as part of the Hospital of St Roch. Already in 4th century was here a small, early Christian, so called "trichora" form, similar like in Pécs, (which is a part of the UNESCO World Heritage list), cemetery chapel.(not proved). In fact in 1711 built a chapel for the patron saint of St Roch (to eliminate the devastating plague). Expanded after the 1739-40 plague epidemic, giving thanks to God and the patron Saint, because this epdemic avoided Pest City. In 1746 the city council had built a hermitage on the back wall of the sanctuary. The last hermit of St Roch, Andreas, died in 1810, and was buried in the Servite's crypt. Between 1751 and 1765 built the tower and the sacred statues of the facade. This place became a permanent center annual ceremonies and processions. In 1797, at the time of built the Public Hospital,- the chapel was renovated, a music gallery was built over the entrance, developed the final form of the spire, two new bells was donated by Vicar Board. The sanctuary is decorated with monumental painted stone images, made by Esther Matthioni in 1963. Here can be see on the left wall, the image of St Roch and on the right, image of St Rosalia. On pedestal of the new altar is a wood sculpture composition. There is on left St Roch with a stick and a dog, on right plague patients, on the back the cave of Nativity (at Christmas time it is turned for front side). The crypt decoration also works of Mattioni Esther: The painted Agnus Dei stone altar, on the floor pics of the seasons with zodiac and Christian symbols. The shrine valuable objects are: the relic of tree of the Cross of Christ, and relics Saints of Roch, Sebastian and Rosalie. A particularly valuable treasure is a silver chalice, made around mid 18th century decorated with pictures of the three "plague" Saints of Roch, Sebastian and Rosalie. Over the side of the altar is an image of Mary of Czestochowa (Poland)in 18th century, At the entrance is a statue of Mary also in 18th century, Outside column before ake the chapel is a statue of the Immaculata ( the memory of the publication of Immaculate Conception dogma) made in1867. Also at the entrance can be found a statuette of Miraculous medal of the Immaculate Virgin, a work of Károly Antal, in 1944. Right next to chapel is a stone cross. The facade decorated with statues of the saints (Roch, Gellert, John of Nepomuk, Laszlo, Elizabeth, Stephen, Margaret, Emeric and Rosalia). On the left (of the facade) placed a memory plate about the Big Pest flood (1838).
- 7 Reformed church (Református templom és parókia), VIII. Salétrom u. 5. ( or tram 4, 6 to Rákóczi tér), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu, Th 15:00-18:00, M, W 10:00-13:00, Masses Su 9:00, 10:30. A monument building.
- 8 National Museum (Nemzeti Múzeum), VIII. Múzeum körút 14/16 ( : Astoria Or : Kálvin tér), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 10:00-18:00 Mar-Oct, 10:00-17:00 Nov-Mar. Not to be confused with the Hungarian National Gallery (Nemzeti Galéria), located in Buda Castle. Founded in 1802 by Count Ferenc Széchenyi, whose manuscript, map, numismatic and print collections formed its initial core holdings, the Hungarian National Museum was designed and built by the popular architect Mihály Polláck between 1837-1847. When it opened, it was the fourth largest museum in Europe and the first public museum in the Hungarian capital. The building became the symbol of the 1848-1849 Revolution so every year on the National Day (March 15) usually commemoration held here. However, it was far enough from the city proper that sometimes loose cattle from the weekly Kálvin tér market wandered into the museum.
Before entering, take note of the museum's exterior, a fine example of neoclassical architecture, with an exceptional portico. Eight Corinthian columns support a frieze with an ornamental cornice and a large pediment. The pediment features the allegorical figure of Pannonia (Pannonia was the Roman name for the Hungarian lands) sitting with the Hungarian coat of arms on her shield, surrounded on either side by Science and Art.
The exterior of the museum is also significant for what has taken place there. According to a popular urban legend during the 1848 revolutions that swept through Central Europe, on 15 March, Sándor Petőfi (perhaps Hungary's most famous patriotic poet) recited his emotionally gripping poem called "National Song" to a large crowd from the left pillar of the National Museum's exterior staircase. This poem pleaded with the nation to liberate Hungary from the Habsburg oppression. Not everyone was impressed. The director of the museum recorded in his diary that a noisy mob had gathered outside the building that day, disturbing his work so much that he left for home.
Major acquisitions and collections donated by the Kubinyi, Pyrker, Marczibányi and Jankovich families rapidly expanded the museum's holdings. Late in the 19th century some collections were separated from the general holdings to form new specialized museums such as the Museums of Fine Arts, Applied Arts, Natural Science and Ethnography. Today the museum's five major divisions (archaeology, Middle Ages, modern era, numismatics, historical paintings), two permanent exhibitions, and archaeological library (with over 100,000 volumes!) make it one of the richest museums in Central Europe. €5.5, €3, photo €2, concert €5, Budapest-card discount.
- 9 Natural History Museum (Magyar Természettudományi Múzeum), VIII. Ludovika tér 2-6 ( : Klinikák), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W-M:10:00-18:00. Mainly minerals at display in the historic building of the old Ludovika Military Academy. Permanent Exhibitions Ft1600, Dinos from Argentina (temporarly) Ft1950, Dinosaur Garden Ft400. Students about half..
- 10 National Educational Library and Museum (Országos Pedagógiai Könyvtár és Múzeum), VIII. ( : 'Népliget'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-F 10:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-14:00. Main objects of the exhibition:18th-century university physics demonstration equipment used for teaching, Hevelius's celestial sphere (made in 1728), Baroque balancing doll, the Leyden jar, Jedlik Ányos experimental instruments (dynamo discharge device), Eötvös Loránd University tutor instruments (double scales, pendulum elbow, electric meters). Also the collection includes: more than 39 thousand photos and 24 thousand Historical documents.
- 11 Music School and Nursery Museum (Józsefvárosi Zeneiskola és Bölcsődemúzeum), VIII. Nap utca 33., Nagytemplom utca 1-3. ( : 'Corvin-negyed' or bus 9, trolley 83 to stop 'Horváth Mihály tér'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Secretariat of the school open: Tu, Th 08:00-16:00, W 8:00-18:00, F: 8:00-14:00 ask there about the museum or musical events. Listed Building. Built by Miklós Ybl, 1875. Neo-Renaissance-style building. Between 1910 and 1945 here worked the Institute Simor. The Sisters of Charity of St Vincent, the "grey Nenes", was operated as nursery, kindergarten and elementary school.
- 12 Flag Museum (Zászlómúzeum), VIII. József krt. 68. ( : 'Corvin-negyed'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-F 11-18, Sa-Su 11-15. Founded in 1985. This shows the symbols of present-day countries and administrations. Here's also a nearly 17,000-piece collection of postcards.
- 13 Museum of Funeral (Kegyeleti Szakgyűjtemény), VIII. Fiumei út 16, Bldg. 'C' (See at Kerepesi Cemetery), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 10:00-15:00, F 10:00-13:00. Budapesti Temetkezési Intézet ZRt.
- 14 Gas Museum (Gázmúzeum), VIII. II. János Pál pápa tér (former Köztársaság tér) 20. ( : 'II. János Pál pápa tér ' or tram 28, 37 to stop 'II. János Pál pápa tér'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mo 9am to 11am, Tu-Sa on prior notice. Industrial history museum about the Hungarian natural gas industry's past and development. Free.
- 15 Classical Music Collection (Pálffy Palace, Fővárosi Szabó Ervin Könyvtár Zenei Gyűjteménye), VIII. Ötpacsirta u. 4 ( : 'Kálvin tér'). Former Pálffy Palace. - Hungary's largest public music library.
- 16 Radio Museum (Rádiómúzeum), VIII. Bródy Sándor utca 5-7. ( : 'Astoria' Or : 'Kálvin tér'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. By appointment.
- 17 Museum of Police History (Rendőrség-történeti Múzeum), VIII. Mosonyi utca 7. ( : 'Keleti'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. Crime history exhibition. History of the police More.
- 18 Gutenberg-home (Gutenberg-otthon), VIII. Gutenberg tér (tram 4, 6 to 'Rákóczi tér' or : 'Rákóczi tér'). Art Nouveau building under monument protection. Built in 1907. This is a size of imposing, richly elaborated in detail, four-story building. There were rental apartmants, in smaller extent the printers' trade association's premises, library, and also the assembly hall for performances. On the ground floor facing the street of shops housed. Here can you see one of the most beautiful Budapest's staircase
- 19 Józsefváros Railway Station (Józsefvárosi pályaudvar), VIII. Orczy tér (Tram 24, 28, 37 to ' Orczy tér '). It was a historic 'head' railway station. Built in1867. Between 1885-1936 worked exclusively as a freight station. Later for passenger transport used for decades. Closed in the end of 2005. Entry only at Gate #10, and You will need a permissson.
- 20 Eötvös Loránd University (Hungarian: Eötvös Loránd Tudományegyetem), VIII. Múzeum körút ( : Astoria. Opposite Hotel Astoria, and between the National Museum and a modern office block.). It was founded in 1635 by Péter Pázmány, Cardinal Archbishop of Esztergom. The university is one of Hungary's most widely recognized institutions of higher education. The campus of the Faculty of Humanities is situated among historic walls, and is attended by nearly 8,000 students and a vibrant international student community from all over the world. The former library and study of Loránd Eötvös, the famous Hungarian physicist and eponymous founder the university, had his library and study in Building "D", but several other hidden treasures can be found at the Faculty. It is worth dropping by for a short visit. Visitors can rest in the lush Trefort Garden or have a refreshment in the popular Bölcsész Terasz, an open-air cultural garden that has musical performances as well as food.
- 21 Semmelweis University (Hungarian: Semmelweis Egyetem), VIII. ( : 'Kávin tér'). is the oldest medical school in Hungary. The faculty became an independent medical school after the Second World War and developed into a university teaching medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, health sciences, health management, physical education, and sport sciences. Established in 1769, there is the portrait of Maria Theresa in the Assembly Hall of the University still commemorates the founding of the Medical Faculty by the Empress of Austria-Hungary more than 230 years ago, forging a continuous link in the education and training of medical students.
- 22 Academy of Drama and Film (Színház- és Filmművészeti Egyetem), VIII. Vas u. 2/c ( : 'Blaha'), ☏ . This is the central teaching building. Built in 1942-1944 to National Alliance Christian Youth Association headquarter. The college has been here since 1951.
- 23 Teaching building of the Film and Television major faculty (A Film- és Televízió főtanszak oktatási épülete), Szentkirályi utca 32/a ( : Kálvin tér). Former Countess Károlyi Palace. After 1971-1972's complete reconstruction converted into a school building.
- 24 Main theater faculty teaching building, Urania house (Színházi Főtanszak oktatási épülete, URÁNIA ház), Rákóczi út 21 ( : 'Blaha' or bus 5, 7, 8, 8A, 112,178 to stop 'Urania'). built based on the plans of Henrik Schmahl, 1895. Protected Monument. Previously operated as a nightclub, later became a theater and the beginning of the 1920s as a cinema. The upper levels (II-VI floor) from the beginning of theatrical education served
- 25 Metropolitan Ervin Szabó Library (Wenckheim Palace, Fővárosi Szabó Ervin Könyvtár Központi Könyvtára), VIII. Szabó Ervin tér 1. ( : 'Kálvin tér'), ☏ . Former Wenckheim Palace. Exhibit of 'the Budapest Collection'
- 26 The main building of the Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church, Faculty of Humanities (Károli Gáspár Református Egyetem, Pesti Theológiai Akadémia), VIII. Reviczky u. 4 ( : 'Kálvin tér'). Former Theological Academy of Pest. Opened in 1855. Degree programs anglistics, germanistics, Eastern Languages and Cultures, Japanese language, Communication and Media Studies, Hungarian, psychology, sociology, history
- 27 Centre for Foreign Languages (Eötvös Loránd Tudományegyetem Idegennyelvi Továbbképző Központ), VIII. Rigó utca 16 (M4 'Rákóczi tér' , bus 9, trolley 83 to 'Harminckettesek tere'). the oldest and "authentic" language examination place in Hungary
- 28 Kerepesi Cemetery (Nemzeti Pantheon (Kerepesi temető, Kerepesi temető, Kerepesi úti temető, Fiumei úti temető, korábban Mező Imre úti temető, Fiumei úti Nemzeti Sírkert), VIII. Fiumei út 16 (Tram 37 'Magdolna utca'), ☏ , , fax: . open: Oct-Feb 07:30-17:00, Mar 07:00-17:30, Apr 07:00-19:00, May, Jun and Jul 07:00-20:00, Aug 07:00-19:00. Sep 07:00-18:00. one of the most famous cemeteries in Hungary, with mausoleums for the most reputable historical personalities. An 56-hectare natural park (Arboretum) with 80 to 100 year old sycamore and 60-year-old horse chestnut tree lines and also with linden trees and acacias. bird lovers can watch here Sparrowhawk, Tawny owl, Long-eared owl, flycatcher, warbler, Mistle thrush, Common Buzzard. Also in the cemetery is the Museum of Funeral what is a Burial Funeral Professional Collection, the country's only museum of this type
- 29 Batthyany Mausoleum (Batthyány-mauzóleum), VIII. Kerepesi Cemetery (NW part of the cemetery). Mausoleum of Batthyány family. Built in eclectic style by Schikedanz Albert, between 1872-1873.
- 30 Deák Ferenc Mausoleum (Deák Ferenc mauzóleuma), VIII. Kerepesi Cemetery (Mid part of the Cemetery). Built in eclectic style around 1880.
- 31 Ganz Abraham Mausoleum (Ganz Ábrahám mauzóleum), VIII. Kerepesi Cemetery (SW corner of the Cemetery). Built by Ybl Miklós, between 1868-1869
- 32 Kossuth Lajos Mausoleum (Kossuth Lajos mauzóleuma), VIII. Kerepesi Cemetery (West part of the Cemetery). Built in eclectic style by Gerster Kálmán between 1903-1909.
- 33 Rupp Mausoleum (Rupp-mauzóleum), VIII. Kerepesi Cemetery (Near to SW corner of the Cemetery). Mausoleum of Rupp family. Built in romantic style.
- 34 Mikszáth Kálmán Statue (Mikszáth Kálmán szobra), VIII. Mikszáth Kálmán tér ( : 'Kálvin tér' or tram 4, 6 to stop 'Harminckettesek tere'). Kocsis András, 1960,
- 35 Former House of Parliament (Régi Országház), VIII. Bródy Sándor utca ( : 'Astoria' Or : 'Kálvin tér'). Design of Miklós Ybl, Today the Italian Cultural Institute in Budapest
- 36 Art Colony in Budapest (Százados úti művésztelep), VIII. Százados út (tram 1 to 'Hős utca'). This is Budapest's first artist colony, Europe's oldest continuous art colony. Fifteen ground-level house built with twenty art galleries at the edge of time in Budapest. Cemetery, railway and military barracks were separated from the city.
- 37 Vas Street 9-11 Monument Buildings (Vas utca 9–11 Műemléképületek), VIII. Vas utca 9–11 ( : 'Blaha' or bus 5, 7, 8, 8A, 112,178 to stop 'Urania'). Designed by Béla Lajta. Now this is a Trade School (formerly: Higher Trade Count István Széchenyi boys' school) building
- 38 Botanic Garden (Füvészkert, Budapesti Botanikuskert Természetvédelmi terület), VIII. Illés u. 25 ( : 'Klinikák'), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr 1st to Oct 31st: daily 9:00-17:00. Botanic Garden of the Eötvös Loránd University. Main attractions: the country's first Victoria's house with a large pool tropical include the extraordinarily beautiful giant Amazon and Paraguay lilies. Also important sights are the fern pine trees whiches over 150 years old, and the orchids, ferns and cactus collections. A couple monuments also visible here Ft850 (2014).
- 1 Cinema Corvin (Corvin Mozi), VIII. Corvin köz 1 ( : Corvin-negyed, tram 4, 6 to stop Corvin-negyed), ☏ . Cash Desk Open: Weekdays: 13:30; Weekends: 9:30. - Films on weekdays between 14.00-22.00, on weekends 10.00-22.00. Covered parking underground garage free for three hours with ticket. Tickets Ft1490, 3D films Ft1890. Discount on Wednesday: Ft1050, 3D Ft 1490.
- 2 Uránia National Movie Theatre (Uránia Nemzeti Filmszínház, Rákóczi út 21, metro 2 station Blaha Lujza tér, tickets Ft890-990), VIII. Rákóczi út. 25 ( : Astoria), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 10:30–22:30. Combines mainstream European artistic movies with new Hungarian films, the latter ones sporadically subtitled in English. €4-5.
- 3 Orczy garden (Orczy-kert), VIII. Orczy út 1. ( : Nagyvárad tér). one of Budapest's biggest gardens. This is actually a park. There is soccer-, running- and basketball courts, entertainment areas, walking trails and a lake.
- 4 Tennis Centre (Előre Tenisz Centrum), VIII. Sport u. 2. (tram 1 to stop 'Hidegkuti Nándor Stadion'), ☏ , . M-F 06:00-22:00, Sa and Su 7:00-21:00.
- 5 Theatre Erkel (Erkel Színház), VIII. János Pál pápa tér 30 ( : Blaha Lujza tér or/and Tram 28, 37 II. János Pál pápa tér or bus 99 Kiss József utca), ☏ . Open 2014?. the Opera's chamber theatre is closed due to reconstruction. Being the largest public building in the city for decades, it was made part of the Hungarian State Opera House in 1951.
- 6 Eva Ruttkai Theatre (Ruttkai Éva Színház), VIII. Kálvária tér 6 ( : 'Klinikák' 600 m), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Since 2009 working here the Eva Ruttkai Theatre
- 7 Fészek theater (Fészek Színház), VIII. Orczy út 46-48, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 8 Maladype theater (Maladype Színház (Bázis)), VIII. Mikszáth Kálmán tér 2 ( : 'Kálvin tér'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 9 Ódry theater (Ódry Színpad), VIII. Vas u. 2/c (Bus 5, 7, 8, 8A, 112, 178 to stop 'Uránia'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 Commercial and Credit Bank (Kereskedelmi és Hitelbank), VIII. Baross tér 2. ( : Keleti p.u. across the square), ☏ , fax: . M 08:00-17:00, Tu, Th 08:00-16:00, W 08:00-18:00, F 08:00-15:00. Other units in district 8th: # VIII. Futó utca 47.-53. (+36 1 3232820), # VIII. József krt. 10-12. (+36 1 4564010), # VIII. Baross tér 2. (+36 1 4798350)
- 2 Sberbank, VIII. Rákóczi út 7 ( Astoria). M-W 08:00-16:00, Th 08:00-18:00, F 08:00-14:00.
Malls and department stores
- 3 [dead link] Arena Plaza (Aréna Pláza), VIII. Kerepesi út 9 ( : Keleti pályaudvar & trolley 80, 80A), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. SHOPS: M–Sa 10.00-21.00, Su 10.00-19.00, Restaurants daily 08.00-24.00, Tesco hypermarket: 6.00-24.00, Cinema: 9.30–22.30.
- 4 Corvin Plaza Shopping Centre (Corvin Plaza Bevásárlóközpont), VIII. Futó utca 37 ( : Corvin-negyed , tram 4, 6 to stop Corvin-negyed, next to Cinema Corvin), ☏ . Shop opening hours: M- Sa 10:00-21:00, Su 10:00-19:00, Restaurants, Cafes: M- Sa 10:00-22:00 Su 10:00-20:00, Supermarket: M- F 7:00-22:00, Sa 7:00-20:00 Su 7:00-20:00. Shops: C&A (Shoes, Clothes), Camaieu (Shoes, Clothes), Cosmos city (Shoes, Clothes), Deichmann (Shoes), Devergo & friends (Shoes, Clothes), Charles Vögele (clothes), Bijou Brigitte (jewelery, accessories), Vision Express (optics), www.emega.hu Euronics MEGA (electronics), Alma Pharmacy, Harmónia Reformház (healthy food), KIK textile discount, Müller (Beauty and Household Products), dm (Beauty and household products), Hervis sport, SuperPhone (telecommunication), T-Partner (telecommunication), Telenor (telecommunication), Vodafone (telecommunication), Alexandra bookshop and Cafe, Cafe Barackvirág, Restaurant Belfrit, CBA Príma supermarket. Exclusive Change (cash and traveller's checks), http://www.goprint.hu GoPrint, Magyar Posta, Party Point Corvin (gifts, toys), Pirex Papír (stationery & office supplies)
- 5 Rákóczi Square Market Hall (Rákoci téri csarnok), VIII. Rákoci tér 7-9. ( or tram 4, 6 to Rákóczi tér), ☏ . M 06.00-16.00, Tu-F 06.00-18.00, Sa 06.00-13.00. Fresh vegetable and fruit
- 6 Market of Teleki square (Teleki téri piac), VIII. Teleki László tér 3 ( Blaha Lujza tér further tram 28, 37, 62 to Teleki tér), ☏ . M 06:00-16:00, Tu-F 06:00-18:00,Sa 06:00-14:00. Reopened in May 2014. +phone=+36 1 313-4083
- 7 Aldi discount store (Aldi diszkontáruház), VIII. Rákóczi út 65 ( , : Keleti pályaudvar 500 m, or bus 5, 8, 78, 112, 178 to stop Huszár utca). Daily 07.00-22.00.
- 8 CBA supermarket (CBA Kis közért szupermarket), VIII Illés u. 4. (Bus 9, trolley 83 to stop Kálvária tér), ☏ . 24/7!. + units in district 8th: Népszínház utca 21., Baross utca 111., József körút. 31., József körút 84., Futó utca 37.(Corvin), Baross tér 1., Vajda P. utca 43., Orczy út 46-48.
- 9 Lidl discount store (Lidl diszkontáruház), VIII. Teleki László tér 1. (Tram 28, 37, 62 to stop Teleki László tér), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 07:00-21:00. Discount store chain. More units: VI. Király u. 112, VI. Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út 61.
- 10 Penny Market (Penny Market diszkontáruház), VIII. Hős u. 9 ( : Puskás Ferenc Stadion 500 m, tram 1 bus 103 to stop 'Hős utca'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 07:00-22:00, Su: 07:00-18:00. Discount store chain. More unit:VIII. József Körút 45. (M-Sa 06:00-21:00, Su 07:00-18:00), VII.Garay Tér 20. (M-Sa 07:00-20:00, Su 07:00-18:00.
- 11 Spar supermarket (Spar szupermarket), VIII. Szigony utca 12. (Bus 9, trolley 83 to stop Muzsikus cigányok parkja), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 06.30-21.30, Sa 06.30-20.00, Su 07.00-18.00. Supermarket chain. More units: VI. Váci út 1-3.,(M-F 08.00-22.00), VI. Teréz körút 2., (M-F 07.00-22.00, Sa 07.00-18.00, Su 08.00-18.00), VI. Teréz körút 28., (M-F 07.00-22.00, Su 08.00-20.00)- VII. Király utca 35-37.,(M-F 06.30-21.30, Sa 8.00-21.00, Su 8.00-20.00), VII. Damjanich utca 11., VII. Erzsébet körút 24.,( M-F 07.00-22.00, Sa 7.00-19.00, Su 8.00-19.00), VII. Erzsébet körút 27 (T.: +36 20 823 7114, M-F 06.30-22.00, Sa-Su 08.00-20.00), VII. Thököly út 8, (M-F 06.30-22.00, Sa 07.30-19.30, Su 8.00-19.00). - VIII. Blaha Lujza tér 1., (M-F 07.00-22.00, Sa 07.00-21.00, Su 08.00-18.00), VIII. Rákóczi út 19., (M-F 06.30-22.00, Sa-Su: 08.00-20.00).
- 12 Tesco hypermarket (Tesco hipermarket), VIII. Kerepesi u. 9-11 (From : Keleti pályaudvar or : Puskás Ferenc Stadion bus 80 to stop Arena Plaza), ☏ . daily 06:00- 24:00. Services: Wi-Fi, Credit card payment, ATMs, meat countertop, fresh bakery products, F & F clothing department, gift package making and packaging, free parking, Home Delivery.
- 1 Stex Cafe-Restaurant (Stex Kávézó - Étterem - Söröző), VIII. Jozsef korut 55-57 (at the corner of Street Baross and Boulevard Jozsef) (tram: 4-6, bus 9, red 17, trolley 83, : Corvin-negyed), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa: 08:00-04:00 Su: 09:00-02:00. Pub, restaurant and casino. Try for a good-quality, mid-budget food. Menu €3.5, breakfast €2-3, Appetizers €6-8, Vegetarian food €4-8, Soups €2-3, Salads €5-8 , Cold salads €3, fishes €6-9, Stex meat bowl (for 2 persons) €18.
- 2 Múzeum (Múzeum Kávéház és Étterem), VIII. Múzeum Körút 12 ( : Astoria, near National Museum), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 18:00-24:00. Great place to try Hungarian cuisine and wines, although quite expensive. Old-style interiors, looks very much like a museum. Tourist mix: half are locals in evening dresses, another are tourists (even backpackers) driven here by travel guide books. Although service charge is already included on bill, waiters, piano player and even cloakroom attendant all expect tips and hint it heavily--at least from tourists unaccompanied by locals; possibly locals in your company can change their attitude. Mains: €12-18, wine in glass €2-3/dl.
- 3 Rákóczi Restaurant (Rákóczi Grillház), VIII. Rákóczi út 57 ( : Blaha Lujza tér or : Keleti pályaudvar), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Su 12:00-24:00. All-you-can-eat concept. All you can eat €9-10, All you can eat and drink €15-17 plus for all a service charge.
- 1 Macska Cafe and Gallery (Macska Kávézó és Galéria), VIII., Bérkocsis u. 23? ( : Blaha Lujza tér), ☏ . Daily 16:00-01:00 (2011). Macska which means "Cat" in Hungarian is a charming, eclectic pub and vegetarian restaurant in District VIII. The neighborhood may have a bit of a bad reputation, but its really quite alright as it is close to Jozsef Ringroad. It is a ruin pub decorated with recycled, retro pieces, showing yet again that in Hungary one man’s trash truly is another man’s treasure. Feature art exhibitions, dj sets and craft beer as well as delicious vegetarian snacks, meal and desserts. Wifi, friendly staff and interesting patrons.
- 1 Bikercamp Camping & Pansion, VIII. Benyovszky Móric utca 40 (off Konyves Kalman krt, 600 m N of Népliget metro), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 12.00, check-out: 12.00. 2 double bedroom, and 1 triple bedroom. Run by a biker since 1991. Offers showers, a pub, and laundry service. Free parking. Space for 25 small tents. €10 camp ppn, sgl/dbl €30/40.
- 2 Budapest Hostel, VIII. Könyves Kálmán körút 64. (3 km E of centre, 400 m N of Népliget metro), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 81 beds available in double to 8 bedded rooms with private bathroom, toilet and lockers. Some of the rooms are air-conditioned. The price includes sheets and breakfast. Dorm Ft4500.
- 3 Florian Hostel (Flórián Turistaszálló), VIII. Biro Lajos utca 49 (3 km E of centre, 700 m N of Népliget metro), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00-24:00, check-out: 07:00-11:00. Hostel with 22 rooms, 50 beds. Pets allowed, free parking, free Wi-Fi
- 4 Locomotive Light Hostel, VIII. Baross ter 2 (just outside Keleti rwy station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. No curfew, no lockout, Free internet - terminal and wifi, Free breakfast drinks, Kitchen. Cycle rental available nearby. Dorm 5-6 bed €13-14, Sgl/Dbl. €30/36.
- 5 M+D Hotel (M+D Szálloda), VIII. Köbányai út 23. (249. 3rd-4th floor), (3 km E of centre, take Tram 28 to 'Kőbányai út 21'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 30 rooms with 90 beds. Clean, but in grubby neighbourhood. Doubles 30€.
- 6 Atlas City Hotel (Atlas Szálloda), VIII. Népszínház utca 39-41 (2 km E of cente, 100 m from János Pál pápa tér metro), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 3-star, 36 rooms all with shower, SAT TV, telephone, minibar, air-conditioning. doubles 50€.
- 7 Triple-M Hotel (formerly Casa Sol), VIII., Baross utca 108 (2 km E of centre, take Bus 9 or trolley 83 to Muzsikus cigányok parkja), ☏ , fax: . 4-star with 37 rooms. Standard rooms with bathroom and a kitchen, and larger Suites with an extra bedroom. Doubles €70, Suites €90.
- 8 Central Hotel 21 (Dominik Panzió), VIII., Mária utca 10. (1 km E of centre near Rákóczi tér Metro Station), ☏ (mobile), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 11:00. 3-star with 16 beds. Rooms with TV, phone, safe and en-suite. Apartments contain spacious rooms, bathroom with corner tub and a well-equipped kitchen. Services: WiFi available in all areas. Bar, restaurant (buffet). Doubles 80€.
- 9 Hotel City Inn (City Inn Szálloda), VIII. Futó utca 55 (1.5 km SE of centre, 200 m from metro Corvin-negyed), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 4-star with 66 rooms. There's a restaurant, a snack bar with garden access, playground, sundeck, a spa with a sauna, a business centre and secure parking. Doubles €80-100.
- 10 Hotel Gloria Budapest City Centre, VIII. Blathy Otto street 22 (3 km SE of centre, 500 m from Népliget Metro Station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 3-star in quiet green belt. With 26 doubles and 2 apartments all with en-suite bathroom. Enclosed parking place, garden, free transfer. There is also the Szapáry Restaurant. Doubles €40.
- 11 Hunguest Hotel Platánus, VIII. Könyves Kálmán körút 44 (3 km SE of centre, metro Népliget), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 3 star with 133 rooms (standard, apartment, superior and honeymoon suite categories), 284 beds. Rooms with two or three separate/double beds and shower or bathtub. Fitness center, lobby bar, private parking lot, Wifi internet. Doubles from Ft10,000.
- 12 Museum Hotel Budapest, VIII., Trefort utca 2. (100 m E of Astoria metro station), ☏ , fax: . 4 star with 104 rooms. With restaurant, sauna & fitness centre. Doubles €100.
- 13 Novotel Budapest Centrum, VIII., Rákóczi út 43-45 (100 m E of Blaha Lujza ter metro), ☏ , fax: , ✉ H3560@accor.com. Check-in: 2.00, check-out: 12.00. 4-star with 227 rooms. A historic hotel with a decorative facade and common spaces, and simpler but functional rooms. Restaurant, bar, sauna, whirlpool bath, and massage treatments. Conference suites. Free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. Indoor parking nearby at an additional cost. double €120.
- 14 Hunguest Hotel Millennium (formerly Tulip Inn), VIII. Űllöi út 94-98 (SE of centre, midway between Nagyvarad & Népliget metro stations), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 3-star hotel with 257 rooms. Wellness services, free WiFi, air conditioning, parking, has its own restaurant. Doubles 60€.
- Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center, Jozsef korut 5 (just S of Blaha Lujza metro), ☏ . Modern 4-star hotel sitting atop a shopping arcade. With fitness centre, sauna, business centre. 150€ / night.
- 15 Three Corners Hotel Bristol, VIII. Kenyérmező utca 4 (E of centre, 300 m from Keleti mainline & metro stations), ☏ , fax: . 4 star with Finnish sauna, fitness centre doubles €100.
- 16 Hotel Nemzeti Budapest, Jozsef Korut 4 (next to Blaha Lujza ter metro), ☏ , ✉ H1686@accor.com. 4-star in a historic building on Lujza Blaha Ter with impressive facade, historic staircase and modern rooms. Double from €98, Junior Suite from €136.
- 17 Hotel Palazzo Zichy, VIII. , Lörinc Pap tér 2 (Tram 4, 6 to stop 'Harminckettesek tere', nearest metro Rakoczi ter), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 4 star with 80 rooms, 160 beds. The former Palace of Count Nándor Zichy. With sauna & fitness center, internet point with access to computers and a printer. Dbl Superior Room €87-113-140-158-199-305-860.
- 2 [dead link] Aréna Pharmacy (Aréna Gyógyszertár), VIII. Kerepesi út 9 (Aréna Plaza.), ☏ . M-Sa 10:00-21:00, Su 10:00-19:00. Services: pre-ordering, locally made products, baby care goods, first aid kit compilation.
- 3 Post Office (Magyar Posta), VIII. József körút 37-39. ( :Rákóczi tér, Tram 4, 6 to stop Rákóczi tér), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-20:00, Sa 08:00-12:00, Su closed. - More units in district 8th: Verseny utca 3. (M-F 08:00-18:00), Baross tér 11/C. , at Keleti Railway Station (M-F 07:00-21:00, Sa 08:00-14:00), Rákóczi út 11. (M-F 08:00-20:00), Kálvária tér 21. (M-F 09:00-17:00), Kálvária tér 21. (M-F 09:00-17:00), Futó utca 37-45. Corvin Plaza (M-F 08:00-20:00, Sa 08:00-12:00).