South Buda is in Budapest. A big area on southern Buda, on the right side of Danube.
New Buda - Tétény (Újbuda-Tétény), which comprises most of the south and southwestern parts of Buda, is a flat area. The construction of a new residential area started in the 1900s, the present district was formed in 1930. In the north it is bordered by the Hegyvidék area (Hegyvidék) and Belbuda (Belbuda). In the east on the Pest side it is bordered by IX. (Ferencváros) district with four Danube Bridge connected. Also in the southeast, on the Pest side, it is bordered by XXI. (Csepel) district. It covers an area of 33.49 km², of which eight districts in line. Until the 1930s, it was called Saint Emeric City (Szent Imre város). The names of the district parts - Gellert Hill, Lágymányos, Albert's village (Albertfalva), Eastern's land (Kelenföld), Eastern's Valley (Kelenvölgy), Rich meadow (Gazdag rét), Guard Field-Orson (Őrmező-Őrsöd), Eagle Mountain (Sas-hegy), Sasad - or other names like: Rupp Hill (Rupp-hegy), Chamber of forest (Kamaraerdő), Stone end grove (Kőérberek), Bird Hill (Madár-hegy)- these names live in the medieval names of district's settlements and landscapes. Tétény, officially called Budafok-Tétény, is the southernmost part, with small hills and famous wineries. The neighboring communities are Diósd and Érd.
The main train connection served by Kelenföldi Railway Station is becoming more and more important. (Many trains leaving from Keleti pályaudvar stop here.)
There are some stops of Metro line 4 here, Budapest's newest underground train.
You can take trams tram: no. 4, 6, 47, 49 from Pest all these lines (except no. 4) cross at the southern hub Moricz Zsigmond körtér, south of Gellérthegy. Tram 4 & 6 now run modern Siemens Combino trams. Tram 47 and 49 run from Deak Square (the central hub for Budapest metro lines) through the Szabadság Híd bridge to South-Buda.
Official tourism information
- 1 Tourism Office of Budapest, XI. Bartók Béla út 105-113. (Take tram: 19, 49 to stop 'Karolina út'), ☏ . - You can get some very good free items, including a map of Budapest, a map of Hungary with all the youth hostels and prices and a very complete brochure about the northern part of Hungary (available in many languages).
- 1 Albertfalva Roman military camp (Albertfalvai római katonai tábor és település), Hunyadi Janos Street (Near to Savoya Park Shopping Centre). 24/7. Archeological site. First camps made at reign of emperor Claudius around 30 BC. It was one of the earliest Pannonian limes (border) forts. Rebuilt under Emperor Trajan at the end of his reign. The place is in bad condition, and sometimes under water. Free.
- 2 Citadella, XI. Citadella sétány 1 (Gellérthegy, the Hill south of the Buda Castle, bus 27 from either Sánc Street, bus 8, 112, 239 from Ferenciek tere or Astoria Metro stations. To Móricz Zsigmond körtér: tram 6 from Metro station Corvin-negyed (former Ferenc korut) or from Nyugati palyaudvar Metro station. From Kalvin ter Metro station, tram: 47, 49. The bus stop is called Busulo Juhasz stop & 600 m on foot along Szirtes Sreet). 24/7. the former fortress on top of Gellerthegy, offers a superb panorama over Central Budapest including bank of the Danube River, Buda Castle and Pest city. To get good views up and down the Danube, take the steps going down in front of the Liberty Statue in front of the Citadella. There are several outposts offering good photo opportunities.
- 3 Gellért Hotel and Bath (Gellért Szálloda és Fűrdő), XI. Szent Gellért tér, Kelenhegyi út 4 (tram 47, 49 from Kálvin tér Metro station, tram: 18 from Széll Kálmán tér (former Moszkva tér) or tram: 19/41 from Batthyány tér), ☏ . is a very popular spa among tourists. Worth seeing even if you don't intend to swim (in summer, the outdoor part is open to visitors; entrance to indoor part is paid). See the Baths section in Budapest for details. Hotel Gellért is a famous, first class four star hotel in Budapest, Hungary. The hotel was erected on the right bank of the river Danube between 1916 and 1918 in the (Secession) Art Nouveau style with some biomorphic elements, at the foot of Gellért Hill, next to Szabadság Bridge. The four star Danubius Hotel Gellért, onetime Saint Gellért Hotel and Spa, was renovated in 1962 and in 1973. The spa, swimming pool and plaza built to the hotel is one of the most beautiful spas in Budapest. Hotel Gellért has been called "the first lady of Hungarian tourism". Gellért is one of the most famous historical hotels in Europe, which is well-known by businessmen and tourists. The inside of the hotel is built in Art Nouveau style with high glass cupola and wrought iron decoration. The characteristic oriental cone-shaped towers of the hotel and eventful frontage attract the look from long distances. Inside the hotel less, but more in the spa the original Art Nouveau furnishing stayed with artistic mosaics, colourful windows and statues. The ornament of the stairs starting from the reception in the hotel is the glass window, made on the basis of layouts of Bozó Stanisits, representing the Chase of the Miraculous Deer from the famous old Hungarian legend. At the beginning of the 20th century the apartments of the nobles were characteristically magnificent, while the other rooms were simply furnished with carefully designed pieces. The stylish furnishing of the rooms does credit to the work carried out by artists under the direction of Ferenc Szabja. The domed hall opened to a formal courtyard which was used as a conservatory with its sliding glass roof. The semi-circular lawned courtyard was surrounded by an alcove for the orchestra and a colonnade of the pump-room. The Indian maharajahs with their numerous attendants visiting Europe frequently put up at the luxuriously comfortable Hotel Gellért. During and after World War II the richly coloured coffered ceiling of the galleried foyer and the domed hall reminiscent of the great halls of the Roman thermal baths suffered almost irreparable damage. At the end of the 1950s the reconstruction of the hotel was started. Nowadays the Gellért Hotel is characterized by cosily furnished rooms in which the materials and colours of the textiles, furniture and coverings combine to radiate a sense of calm.
- 4 Rock Church (Sziklatemplom), XI. Szent Gellért rakpart 1 (At the southeastern edge of Gellért Hill, go to Gellért tér, turn towards Gellért Hill and look for the big white cross or the statue of King Saint Stephen - you can find the church below the cross and next to the statue.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mass time, daily: 8:30, 17:00, 20:00. The church was created from a natural cave system, following the Lourdes cave as sample in 1926.
- 5 St. Gerard's Church (Szent Gellért-templom), XI. Bartók Béla út 149 (Kelenföld - From m2 'Batthyany ter' take tram: 19 to stop Szent Gellert Templom or From m1,2,3 'Kalvin ter' tram: 49 to stop Szent Gellert Templom), ☏ . Built between 1984 and 1992, architect Andrew Kiss
- 6 Hungarian Advent Church (Magyar Advent Temploma), XI.Október huszonharmadika utca 5 (tram: 4,18,41,47; bus 53,86,150,150E,212,250), ☏ . M, Tu, Th 10.00-14.00, F 10.00-13.00. Built in 1928-29, architect Medgyaszay István
- 7 Kelenföldi Reformed Church (Külső-Kelenföldi Református Gyülekezet temploma), XI. Ildikó tér 1. (Bus 7E, 173E, 103 141 terminal Etele ter or tram: 19, 49 terminal Etele ter). Built between 1979 and 1981, architect Istvan Szabo
- 8 St. Imre Church (Budai Ciszterci Szent Imre Plébánia, Szent Imre templom), Villanyi street 25 (Szentimreváros quarter.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pastoral Office (XI. Himfy u. 9. 200m away) is open: M 8:00-12:00, 15:00-19:00, Tu, W, Th 10:00-12:00, 15:00-18:00, F 8:00-15:00.
- 9 Presbyterian Church (Lágymányosi Ecumenical Centre, Lágymányosi Ökumenikus Központ), Magyar tudósok Circle (körútja), 3 (tram: 4, 6 to 'Petőfi híd, budai hídfő'), ✉ email@example.com.
- 10 Church of the Holy Angels, Gazdagrét (Szent Angyalok Templom, Gazdagrét), XI.Gazdagréti út 14 (Gazdagrét quarter. - From Móricz Zsigmond körtér bus 153 to Csíkihegyek utca), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11 Albertfalva St. Michael's Parish (Albertfalva Szent Mihály Plébánia), XI. Bükköny u. 3. (From Moricz square tram 18, 41, 47 or bus 114, 213, 214, 7), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Parish hours M, Th 16:00-18:00, Tue 9:00-12:00, 16:00-18:00, Fri 9-12:00, 16:00-18:00, Wed 9:00-12:00, 16:00-18:00.
- 12 St. Sabina ministry and St. Benedict's Study House (Szent Szabina lelkészség és Szent Benedek Tanulmányi Ház), XI. Péterhegyi út 67. (From Kosztolányi Dezső tér bus 150 or 250 to 'Kápolna út' or From m2 Batthyány tér tram: 41), ☏ .
- 13 'Mushroom' building (Gomba épület), XI. Móricz Zsigmond körtér (tram: 18, 19, 41, 49). 'Mushroom' is the name of the building on the center of the roundabout. Built in 1942. The suburban trains arriving from Fehervari street passing through the statue St. Imre bypass tracks and the Szent Gellért Square loop line turned back. In 1963 the suburban railway lines was transformed into tram lines.
- 14 [dead link] Albertfalva Local History Collection and School Museum (Albertfalvi Helytörténeti Gyűjtemény és Iskolamúzeum), XI. Pentele utca 8. (From Moricz square tram 18, 41, 47), ☏ . Tu, Th 16:00-18:00.
- 15 Etele XI. District Local History Society Exhibition (Etele XI. Kerületi Helytörténeti Kör Kiállítóhelye), XI.Erőmű utca 4. (From m3 Corvin-negyed take tram 4 to stop 'Újbuda-központ'), ☏ .
- 16 Museum of GAMMA (GAMMA Múzeum (A GAMMA Finommechanikai és Optikai Művek történetének emlékei)), XI.Petzvál József utca, 52? (tram: 18, 41, 47 to stop 'Etele út / Fehérvári út'). GAMMA was a Precision Mechanics and Optics Works.
- 17 Molnár C. Paul Art Studio Museum (Molnár C. Pál Műterem-múzeum), XI. Ménesi út 65 (tram: 61 to stop 'Pető Intézet (Villányi út)'), ☏ .
- 18 Hungarian Museum of Transport and Technology, Technical Education repository (Magyar Műszaki és Közlekedési Múzeum - Műszaki Tanulmánytár), XI. Kaposvár utca 13-15. (From Móricz Zs körtér bus 33 to Dombóvári út, : 'Népliget' further bus 103 to Dombóvári út), ☏ .
- 19 Military History Museum of the Department of Military Affairs, History of the Hungarian Military Supply (specialist collection) (HM Hadtörténeti Intézet és Múzeum - Magyar Katonai Ellátás Története (szakgyűjtemény)), XI. Daróci út 5 (Bus 212 to stop 'Ortopédia, Vérellátó'). Closed ?.
- 20 [dead link] Bartók 32 Gallery (Bartók 32 Galéria), XI. Bartók Béla út 32 (From Móricz Zsigmond körtér), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 21 Kelenvölgy Library (Kelenvölgyi Könyvtár), XI. Bazsalikom u. 24 (Bus 140, 150, 250 to stop 'Torma utca'), ☏ .
- 22 Budapest Cultural Centre (Budapesti Művelődési Központ), XI. Etele u. 55 (Bus:7, 7A, 7E, 33, 107E, 114, 213, 214 to 'Kelenföld, városközpont'), ☏ .
- 23 Natural History Museum of the Eötvös Loránd University, Faculty of Science (ELTE TTK Természetrajzi Múzeum), XI. Pázmány Péter sétány 1/c. (Bus 103 to 'Pázmány Péter sétány'), ✉ email@example.com. Collections: Mineralogy and Petrology storage found 1744, Biological and Paleontological Exhibition
- Kelenföld bus depot (Autóbuszgarázs), XI. Hamzsabégi út 23.. A monument.
- Kosztolányi Dezső tér Bus Terminal, XI.Bukarest utca. A monument
- 24 Former Budaörs Airport (Budaörsi repülőtér), XI.. A monument.
- 25 Kaffka Margit High School (Kaffka Margit Gimnázium), XI.Villányi út 5-7 (Tram 61), ☏ . http://www.muemlekem.hu/muemlek?id=1114
- 26 Monument Bulding, XI.Kelenhegyi út 12-14 (Bus 27 to Sánc utca). Only outside.
- The chapel of Saint Gellért Lazariston (Lazaristák kápolnája), XI. Ménesi street 26.
- Power Plant Kelenföld (Kelenföldi Erőmű), XI. Budafoki út 52..
- 27 Lutheran Church 10?, XI. Bocskai út (M4 Újbuda-központ).
- High School (Szent Imre Ciszterci gimnázium, József Attila Gimnázium), XI. Villányi út. Wälder Gyula, 1927-29
- 28 Memento Park (Szoborpark), XXII. Balatoni út and Szabadkai utca corner (Public Bus Transport from “Újbuda Központ” – corner of Fehérvári út – Bocskai út (Allee Shopping Mall) with BUS No.150 to Campona, get off at Memento Park stop or direct bus from downtown), ☏ . Daily, from 10:00 till dusk. Memento Park is an open air museum in Budapest, dedicated to monumental statues from Hungary's Communist period (1949–1989). There are statues of Lenin, Marx, and Engels, Dimitrov as well and several Hungarian Communist leaders. The Statue Park, was first conceived by the literary historian László Szörényi in 1989 when he suggested the various Lenin statues from all over Hungary could be gathered into one "Lenin garden". According to Ákos Eleőd, the architect: "This park is about dictatorship. And at the same time, because it can be talked about, described, built, this park is about democracy. After all, only democracy is able to give the opportunity to let us think freely about dictatorship." Visitors may well interpret this as an assertion that the Hungarian spirit is stronger than communism. Possible souvenirs are CDs of Hungarian communist fight songs, reproduction Hungarian Communist Party membership booklets, funny postcards and posters. Ft1,500, Students with ISIC card: Ft1,000, accept: Budapest Card, Hungary Card.
- 29 Nagytétény Mansion (Nagytétényi Kastélymúzeum), XXII. Kastélypark u. 9-11 (Bus No. 33 or 33/A from Budapest's Móricz Zsigmond körtér and alight at the Petőfi S. utca), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. From 1 March: Th-Su 10:00-18:00. The 18th-century Száraz-Rudnyánszky Mansion. Look inside a Baroque castle: in its rooms can be seen the show entitled "The History of Furniture Art". Don't miss it! €3.5, €1.7.
- 30 World War I memorial of Budafok (I. világháborús emlékmű Budafokon), XXII. Savoyai Jenő tér. (Bus 33, 58, 114, 141, 213, 214, 233E, 250, 250A, 251, 941 or tram: 47 to 'Savoyai Jenő tér').
- 31 World War I memorial of Nagyteteny (I. világháborús emlékmű Nagytétényben), XXII. Szentháromság tér. Bronze mythical 'Turul' bird
- 32 Cave House Museum (Barlanglakás-múzeum), XXII. Veréb utca, ☏ . Protected monuments
- 33 Cellar system of Budafok (Budafoki pince rendszer), XXII.Nagytétényi út ~64?. Much of the food industry exploits. The experts called "360 cellar." It is home to the world's largest barrels of traditional sizes in use.
- 34 Czuba-Durozier mansion (Czuba–Durozier kastély), XXII. Péter Pál u 2–4..
- 35 Gloriette of Nagyteteny (Nagytétényi Gloriette), XXII. Kastélypark utca 14-16. Statue of Nepomuki Szent János.
- 36 Sacelláry Palace (Sacelláry-kastély), XXII. Anna utca 1.
- 37 Ceramic park (Kerámia park), XXII.Bartók Béla út 174-192 (Bus 213 to 'Baross Gábor-telep, Török utca'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 38 Former Torley Palace (Törley-kastély, Országos Frédéric Joliot-Curie Sugárbiológiai és Sugáregészségügyi Kutató Intézet), XXII. Anna utca 3., ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Built in 1890-1904. Now this is the "Frédéric Joliot-Curie" Radiobiology Research Institute
- 39 Torley Mausoleum (Törley-mauzóleum), XXII. Sarló utca 6. (bus 251 to 'Plébánia utca'). Connected with Cemetery of Budafok. - Made in Art Nouveau style, by Ray Rezsõ, in 1912. József Damkó carved the ornament statues.
- 40 Budafok Town Hall (Budafoki városháza), XXII. Városház tér 11 (From : 'Deák Ferenc tér' take tram: 47 to Budafok, Városház tér (half hour journey) or from Déli R.S. to 'Budafok-Belváros' train stop), ☏ .
- 41 Roman Catholic church of Budafok (Budafoki Római katolikus plébániatemplom), XXII. Savoyai tér (Bus 33, 58, 114, 141, 213, 214, 233E, 250, 250A, 251, 941 or tram 47 to 'Savoyai Jenő tér').
- 42 Reformed Church of Budafok (Budafoki Református templom), XXII. Demjén István utca 2, (Bus 33, 58, 114, 141, 213, 214, 233E, 250, 250A, 251, 941 or tram: 47 to 'Savoyai Jenő tér'), ☏ .
- 1 Gellért Baths (Gellért fűrdő), Buda, XI. Kelenhegyi utca 4 (Gellért Hotel at the base of Gellért Hill, : 'Gellért tér' tram: 18, 19, 41, 49 Bus 7, 86), ☏ . 06.00-19.00 weekdays; 06.00-17.00 on Sat and Sun (between Apr 30 and Sept 30).. While the Kiraly baths may be a more authentic Turkish bath experience, the famous Gellért Bath can't be beaten in terms of style. This is among the finest Art Nouveau baths in Europe, part of Spa Hotel Gellért. Ask the information desk to clarify if you're not sure about how to proceed as the procedures, dignified by tradition, are not always straightforward. If you hire a towel (resembling a bedsheet) or a bathrobe, you will need the original receipt ticket for getting back your deposit. You'll need to get your receipt ticket back from the attendants inside when you return your item, otherwise you forfeit your deposit. Unfortunately, the managers are quite unforgiving in this matter and won't believe you if you try to collect your deposit without your item or a receipt. Changing: Individual lockers, single-person cabins, and family cabins are available. Indoors: since 2013 every part of the spa is common for men and women. Common area for men and women has a 50 m swimming pool and a soaking pool with massage bubbles, both with 36-38°C water. Wearing swimming caps is required, but not always enforced. There are common Turkish-style thermal baths for men and women, offering several different areas: two soaking pools (one with 36°C, another with 38°C), the showers, the dry sauna and Turkish steam bath, and the cold pool (designed to scare the living daylights out of you aftea happy warm soak). Outdoors: a large open-air complex of pools (open only in summer time). The full entrance price to the swimming pool and the men's or women's thermal facilities is Ft3,500, which also includes a cabin rental, where you can change clothes and a towel (bed sheets style). On weekdays this ticket is Ft4,050 ticket and 30-minute massage can be reserved in advance. The massage: from Ft2,500 for Refreshing, 15 min. to Ft3,800 for Powder, 30 min. They also offer a very good Tai massage. 1h is Ft11,500 and 1½h is Ft15,500 (March 2010).
- 2 Arboretum of Buda (Budai Arborétum), XI. Villányi út. (Near to Móricz Zs. tér, take tram: 61 (first stop)).
- 3 Bottomless Lake Park (Feneketlen tavi park), XI. Villányi út (Bus 7, 40, 41, 53, 86, 107, 153, 154, 72, 173, 212, tram 19, 49, 61). 24/7. The park total area is 40,809 sqm. It was built between 1958 and 1960 according to plans by Mihaly Mőcsényi. In the mid part located the Bottomless Lake. Here you will find the Buda Park Stage, near to the lake, of which the former worked with various functions, but it is now only a ruin. The fountain of the lake to improve oxygenation of water. Several statues located in the park. The "Bear" statue by Laszlo Molnar (located at playground); Béla Bartók statue made by József Somogyi, 1981, (located under bells, at the side of Kosztolányi Dezső Square); there is a tennis hall and side of its are two monuments, Gyula Illyés and Zoltan Gulyas, first was a Hungarian, 20th century, poet and novelist, last was a 20th-century, YBL-prize winner, Hungarian architect; sitting boy statue, made by Magda Gabor (1997) adorns the fenced playground. The usual 'Park' tree species found in the majority in the park. Next to stage are silver maples at the tennis courts is an oak tree (almost hundred years old), near to waterside are a couple willow trees. Some specific species or sizeable trees also can be found here Cercis siliquastrum (Judas tree), Juniperus virginiana (Virginian juniper), Castanea sativa (chestnut), Liriodendron tulipifera (tulip tree), Broussonetia papyrifera (paper mulberry tree), Quercus robor"Fatigiata" (columnar oak), Caragana arborescens (Siberian peashrub) Free.
- 4 Bottomless Lake (Feneketlen-tó), XI, Kosztolányi Dezső tér (tram: 61, bus 7, 212). Its area of 1.1 ha and a depth of 4-5 meters. Play tennis, gym's, try fishing or just relaxing.
- 5 Gellért Hill ((Hungarian: Gellért-hegy;German: Blocksberg; Latin: Mons Sancti Gerhardi; Turkish: Gürz Elyas bayiri, in the Middle Ages: Kelen-hegy, Pesti-hegy )), It is part of the 1st and 11th Districts (You can reach the foot of the mountain by M4 Gellért tér station, bus 7, 86, tram 18, 19, 41 to stops Gellért tér or Döbrentei tér, or take bus 8, 27, 239, 112 to Hegyalja út, - or bus 27 to stop Búsuló Juhász, (top of the hill)). 24/7. Gellért Hill was named after Saint Gerard who was thrown to death from the hill. Sight of its and around: Hotel Gellért and the Gellért Baths (located in Gellért Square at the foot of the hill, next to Liberty Bridge); the Gellért Hill Cave in the hill, facing toward Hotel Gellért and the Danube River); the Citadella (Citadel, at the top of the hill) a perfect viewpoint, Gellért Hill Waterfall (on northest), Rock Chapel (southern descent). Since 1987, the area is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site as part of "the Banks of the Danube". A large part of the hill consists of protected parkland, therefore part of the Danube-Ipoly National Park. There are some sculptures as Statue of Liberty; Statue of Stephen I of Hungary (outside Gellért Hill Cave). About the vegetation: there can be found different trees -- English oak, Tatarian Maple (mostly on West side of the Hill), Field Elm, Field Maple, South European flowering ash, dolomite-rock grassland, fig and wild rose bushes (remnants of the Ottoman era), yew tree, thuja, some cypress, hazel, hornbeam and acacia. The fauna: different types of birds: dawn bird, peregrine falcon, goldcrests mostly in migration time; different crows, blackbirds and sparrows can be see anytime; Typical insects are: different butterflies, firebugs, Blue Xylocopinae. In spring and summer come out to sunny rocks the lizards. Some mammals like the Northern white-breasted hedgehog and squirrels are also quite common sights. The mountain provides an opportunity for the visitors pleasant forest walks. There is a flower garden on the top of the hill, where can be resting on benches. a nice relaxing place. On the south side of the mountain is an unique playground with five different slides (tube slide, straight slide, twisting slide, wavy slide, wide slide for parents with small children) gives pleasure to children. Also on the south side is another playground with swings and sandboxes, directly above the Gellért tér, specific to small children. The Gellert Hill hosts fireworks on 20 August. Free.
- 6 Jubileum Park (Jubileumi-park), Gellert Hill (Citadella Hill). Perfect for strolling. Viewpoint with excellent photo opportunities
- 7 Haros Island, Floodplain Forest Nature Reserve Area (Háros-szigeti Ártéri-erdő Természetvédelmi terület), 22nd district (Budafok-Háros train stop, or take tram: 41 from Móricz Zsigmond körtér). 24/7. Area 56 ha. The most famous fauna is native, protected wild grape. Now is a peninsula, because in 1911, the northern part filled and connected to the shore of the river. This reserve is part of the Danube-Ipoly National Park Free.
- 8 Kopaszi dam (Kopaszi gát), XI. (bus 33 from : 'Móricz Zs. körtér' to Dombóvári út, or bus 133 from : Népliget to Pázmány Péter sétány stop). The dam is the Lágymányosi bay separated by the Danube River. There are several small restaurants and playhouse for kids. A popular resting and meeting place.
- 9 Kosztolányi Dezső Square (Kosztolányi Dezső tér park, pronounced [ˈdɛʒøː ˈkostolaːɲi];), XI. Kosztolányi Dezső tér (Bus 7, 53, 86, 107, 150, 153, 153A, 154, 212, 258, 258A, nightbus 907, 908, 918, 940, 941, 972; tram 19, 49,). 24/7. The square named after a Hungarian poet and prose-writer at the interscetion of Bocskai road and Bartók Béla road. The park area is almost one hectare. Splitted for four part by main road. The Buda Park Stage and the Bottomless Lake in the immediate vicinity of the square. Before replaced to Etele tér here was the Kosztolányi Dezső tér Bus Terminal, now protected monument building. Partly of the square is planted with flowers. The Acacia trees are in the majority, but there are also a few Judas and paper mulberry trees. Two sculptures can be found around the square: one is the Dezso Kosztolanyi statue and the other is the statue of one of the most important composers of the 20th century, Béla Bartók (made by József Somogyi, 1981). Free.
- 10 Independent Park (Függetlenségi park), XI. Bocskai út, Karolina út, Nagyszőlős utca (Take bus 53, 86, 150, 212, 258, 258A to stop 'Vincellér utca'). 24/7. Bus 86 terminated here. The area of it is 6470 m². It was built between 1962 according to plans by Mihaly Mőcsényi. Later a fountain and a monument built here by Vera Csorba. In 1994 inaugurated the monument of Independence. In the middle of the fountain, a work of György Vadász and Sandor Kiss. The yews (Taxaceae), the Sorbus, China trees (Koelreuteria paniculata) are beautiful decorations in the park Free.
- 11 Sas-hegyi (Eagle Mountain) Visitor Center (Sas-hegyi Látogatóközpont), XI. Tájék u. 26 (From : 'Ferenciek tere', take bus 8, to Korompai utca (about 15-20 min), further walk 5 min.), ☏ . 1 Mar-1 Oct: Tu F-Su 10:00-18:00. Visit the Royal Eagle Mountain Nature Reserve, almost in city centre. More info Adult €5, discount €3.
- 12 Gabany Laslo Sporthall (Gabányi László Sportcsarnok), XI., Hauszmann Alajos utca 5 (tram: 18, 41, 47, 49 to 'Hauszmann Alajos utca'), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Capacity: 1000 person. There are 3 volleyball fields, 3 basketball fields, football, futsal, handball 9 badminton fields, 6 fields for speedbadminton Rent: Badminton: Ft2,500/hour/court, bat rent: Ft250. Table Tennis: Ft2,000/hour/table, racket hire Ft250pc. Artificial turf soccer field: Ft10,000/hr. Budo Centre: Ft8,000/hr. Tennis: Ft1800/hr, racket rental 500/piece..
- 13 Hunyadi Road Sportcomplex (Kelen sports field) (Hunyadi Úti sporttelep (Kelen sportpálya)), Hunyadi Mátyás út 56 (Bus 58 to 'Narancs utca'), ☏ . 13:00-21:00.
- 14 Imre Nyéki swimming pool and 'Medal street' sports hall (Nyéki Imre Uszoda, Érem utcai sportcsarnok), Kondorosi út 14 (tram: 18, 41, 47 49 'Albertfalva kitérő' or Bus 114, 213, 214 to stop 'Nyéki Imre Uszoda'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-W 06:00-21:00, Th-Su 06:00-19:00. Pool tickets Adults (3 hours) Ft1500, Junior/Senior ticket (3 hours) Ft850, Adult all-day ticket Ft2100, Youth/Senior all-day Ft1250, Family ticket (2 adults and 1 or 2 children under 18 years) Ft3500. Solarium Ft600 per 6 min.
- 15 New Buda Sports Centre (Újbudai Sportcentrum), XI.Bártfai utca 52/B (M4 'Bikás park'), ☏ . There are four tennis courts, two artificial turf soccer field and a gym Gym fee: Adult Ft1,100; Seniors, students: Ft990; adult season ticket (for ten entries) Ft9,990. Seniors, student ticket (for ten entries) Ft8,990.
- 16 BEAC sports hall (BEAC Sportcsarnok), XI. Bogdánfy utca 6 (tram: 4 to 'Budafoki út / Szerémi sor'). Limited access from outsiders.
- 17 Karinthy Theatre (Karinthy Színház), XI. Bartók Béla út 130 (tram: 19, 49 to Csóka utca stop from Móricz Zs tér), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Pioneering activities in one continuous play, independent rock theater, former cinema.
- 18 MU Theatre (MU Színház), XI. Kőrösy J. utca 17 (tram: 4 stop Fehérvári út). MU, one of the well-known Budapest dance theatres hosts contemporary dance performances. Ft1,500, student Ft1,000.
- 19 Theatre Szkéné (Szkéné Színház), XI. Műegyetem rakpart 3 (tram: 18, 19, 41, 47, 49; bus 7, 73, stop Szent Gellért tér or : Saint Gellert Square (Szent Gellért tér)). Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) theatre hall: during the construction of metro 4 station in Szent Gellért tér use temporary stairs next to the river for reaching the building. Szkéné hosts, among others, Béla Pintér and Company (Pintér Béla és Társulata), many alternative theater goers' favourite. Book your ticket by email. Ft1,500.
- 1 FONÓ Music House (Fonó Budai Zeneház), XI. district, Sztregova u. 3 (tram: 18, 41 or 47 southward from Móricz Zsigmond körtér and get off at Kalotaszeg utca stop. Walk backwards 2 minutes and take the first street on the right), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Cash desk for events: M-F 12:00-24:00, Sa 18:00-24:00. Fonó provides a high quality selection of Hungarian folk, etno and world music. They offer concerts, folk dance performances as well dance houses called táncház in Hungarian. Every Wednesday evening they have Hungarian dance club, which is an excellent place to see how young Hungarians revitalize traditional culture.
- G-Roby (G'Roby Prémium), ✉ email@example.com. The G’Roby Food Supermarket Chain was founded in 1992. The chain has 6 offline stores in Budapest, set up its door-to-door delivery service in 1999 and launched its on-line shop in the spring of 2000. 6500 items, daily renewed range. Delivery by 22 own cars to Budapest and fixed parts of Pest County even within 24 hours.
- 2 XI. Villányi út 1 ( : 'Móricz Zsigmond körtér'), ☏ . M- F 6:30-21:00, Sa 7:30-18:00, Su 8:00-14:00.
- CBA. CBA Food Supermarket Chain.
- 3 XI. Tétényi út 63. (One stop from Train Station, or : 'Bikás park'), ☏ . M- F 6:00-22:00, Sa 6:00-20:00, Su 7:00-18:00.
- More units in district XI.: Bartók Béla út 32. Karinthy Frigyes u. 30., Lágymányosi út 17., Bocskai út 63 - 65, Vincellér u. 47.Nádorliget u. 5., Kőrösi J.u.9., Torbágy u. 17, Sasadi út 83, Budaörsi út 115., Gazdagréti tér 8., Tétényi út 63., Allende park 20, Bartók B. u. 127-129, Fehérvári út 192. (Vegyész u.), Kondorosi út 7., Bartók B. út 74..
- 4 XXII. Leányka utca 13. (From : 'Móricz Zsigmond körtér' take tram 47 to stop 'Leányka utcai lakótelep'), ☏ . M-F 06:00-22:00, Sa 06:00-20:00, Su 07:00-18:00.
- kerület, Árpád u. 54..
- COOP (SAROKHÁZ ÁBC), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A supermarket chain.
- 5 Fehérvári út 48 (tram: 18, 47, 49 to 'Csonka János tér'), ☏ , .
- More units in district XI.: Karinthy F. St, 14.; - Bartók Béla út 86.; - Bartók Béla út 132; - Bükköny St. 34; - BARANYAI St. 25. ; - ALBERT U. 13..
- 6 XXII. Nagytétényi St. 289, ☏ . Supermarket Chain.
- More units in district XXII.: Gádor U. 128.; - Tóth József U. 49.; - Arany János St. 55.; - XIII. St 31..
- 7 Spar Supermarket, XI. Október 23-a utca 8-10 ( : Ujbuda-center (Újbuda-központ). In the Allee Shopping Centre.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 7:00-22:00, Su 8:30-20:00. ATM, Parking: 1200. Supermarket chain. More units in district XI.: Bartók Béla út 14., Kérő utca 1., Péterhegyi lejtő 36., Bartók Béla út 51, Etele út 58-60., Fehérvári út 166., Irinyi József utca 34., Rétköz utca 3-5., Fehérvári út 97-99.
- 8 Spar, XXII. Rákóczi út 20/a (Bus 101, 114, 233 to stop 'Rákóczi út'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 7:00-21:00, Sa 7:00-17:00, Su 8:00-13:00. Car Park for 13 units. Supermarket chain. More unit in district XXII.: Kossuth Lajos utca 41.
- Reál (Reál Élelmiszer).
- Ibolya ABC.
- Barackos u. 1., ☏ .
- 11 Fehervari Road Markethall (Fehérvári úti Vásárcsarnok), XI. Kőrösi J. u. 7-9. ( : Ujbuda-center (Újbuda-központ) 100 m), ☏ . M 06:30-17:00, Tu-F 6:30-18:00, Sa 06:30-15:00. Flowers. Fresh food. Farmers market. CNN Travel report
- 12 Allee Bevásárlóközpont (Allee Shopping Mall), XI. Október huszonharmadika utca 8-10. (Tram/Underground stop 'Újbuda központ'), ✉ email@example.com. Stores M-Sa 10.00-21.00, Su 10.00-19.00; Restaurants and cafes M-Sa 09.00-22.00, Su 09.00-20.00; Interspar M-Sa 07.00-22:00 Su 08.00-19.00, Gilda Max Fitness M-Su 00.00-24:00. Goods in shops almost all category, many fast food restaurants and three cafes.
- 13 Campona Bevásárló- és Szórakoztatóközpont (Campona Shopping Mall), XXII. Nagytétényi út, 37-43 (Train stop 'Budatétény'), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Stores M-Sa 10.00-20.00, Su 10.00-19.00; Restaurants and cafes M-Sa 09.00-22.00, Su 09.00-20.00; TESCO Hypermarket M-Su 10.00-24:00, 'Sport 8' Fitness & Wellness Center M-Su 07.00-22:00, Royal Casino 24/7, Tropicarium Daily 10.00-20.00 Adventure Park Daily 10.00-20.00, Cinema M-F 12.00-22.00, Sa-Su 09.30-22.00. Goods in shops almost on all category, sixteen restaurants and three cafes, Interactive science center, cinema, Adventure park 20 Tropicarium (At the Northern part of the Mall), ☏ . Daily 10.00-20.00. "shark zoo", aligators, birds, reptiles, monkeys, insects, colourful fishes, sharks, rays Ft2300/1600.
- 14 Savoya Park Bevásárlóközpont (Savoya Park Shopping centre), XI. Hunyadi János út 19 (tram: 18 from Móricz Zs. tér). Stores and boutiques M-F 09:00-20:30, Su 9:00-18:00; Auchan Hypermarket M-F 6:00-22:00, Su 7:00-20:00, pharmacy and Post Mo-F 8:30-19:00, Sa 09:00-13:00, Su Closed; Restaurants: M-Sa 9:00-20:30, Su 9:00-18:00, OTP Bank: M-Fr 9:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-14:00, Su Closed, OBI home store: M-Sa 8:00-20:00, Su 8:00-18:00, Raiffeisen Bank M, W, Th 09:00-18:00, Tu 09:00-17:00, F 9:00-16:00, - Weekends and holidays: closed, Aldi discount supermarket daily 7:00-21:00.
- 1 Asia Cafeteria (Asia Food, Asia Büfé), XI. Hunyadi János út, 19 (In Savoya Park Shopping Centre - From : Astoria or : Kálvin tér tram: 48 to 'Savoya Park' or From Móricz Zsigmond tér tram 18 to 'Savoya Park'), ☏ , fax: . Chinese self-service restaurant.
- 2 Cafe Badabing (Badabing Kávézó), XI. Regős u. 2 (Bus 153A from M4 'Kelenföld vasútállomás' to 'Regős utca'), ☏ .
- 3 Basil Café (Bazsalikom Vendéglő), XI. Gépész u. 32 (Bus 58, 258 to 'Gépész utca'), ☏ .
- 4 Hadik Kávéház, XI. Bartók B 36, ☏ .
- 5 Aldente Bistro Italiano, XI. October 23 utca, 8-10 (tram: 4, 18, 41, 47, 48 to 'Újbuda-központ' - Allee Shopping Centre), ☏ .
- 6 Amaretto Restaurant (Amaretto Étterem), XI.Dayka Gábor u. 3 (Bus 40 from Móricz square to 'Dayka Gábor utca' or Bus 139 from : Déli p.u. to 'Dayka Gábor utca'- at the Rubin Wellness & Conference Hotel.), ☏ , fax: .
- 7 Aranyhíd Étterem Pub, XI. Hegyalja út 64 (Bus 139 from M2 Déli p.u. to 'Hegyalja út' or bus 8 from M3 Ferenciek tere), ☏ . Borsodi (Hungarian) and Belgian beers.
- Restaurant Bara (Bara Étterem, Bara Café), XI.Hegyalja út 34-36, ☏ . In Bara Hotel.
- Bécsiszelet Restaurant (Bécsiszelet Étterem - Sasad), XI. Bod Péter u. 13, ☏ .
- 8 Hai Nam Pho bistro, XI. Október huszonharmadika u. 27. (tram: 4, 18, 41, 47 to 'Újbuda-központ'). The best Vietnamese pho in the district and probably in the whole city. Don't be surprised if the queue is outside.
- 9 Le Roy Újbuda Cafe (leroy Újbuda), XI. Október huszonharmadika u. 8-10 (tram: 4, 18, 41, 47 to 'Újbuda-központ'). More units in Buda Lövőház utca 1-5. ; Alkotás út 53
- 10 Gold Bistro, XI. Budafoki út 113 (bus 33, 133E to 'Kelenföldi Erőmű'). The small bistro of the Gold Sports Centre with suprisingly delicious three course meals under Ft2,000.
- 11 Bölcső Bar and Food, XI. Lágymányosi u. 19 (tram: 6, bus: 33, 33E to 'Budafoki út/Karinthy Frigyes út'). Tasty burgers and a wide variety of Hungarian craft beers next to the BME campus.
- 1 Avar Pub (Avar Söröző), XI. Avar utza 31, ☏ . Mo-Su 16:00-23:00.
- 2 Kisrablo Pub, XI. Zenta u. 3 south of Gellert Hotel (tram: 18, 19, 41, 47, 49 to stop 'Gárdonyi tér'). 11.30-02.30. While the pirate ship decor says 'pub', the Duck in Orange Rosemary Sauce says 'restaurant'. Excellent service, great crème brûlée, and exceedingly reasonable 5 puttonyos Tokaji. A winner when you want something other than gulyás. Draught Beer: Dreher, Pilsner Urguell, Tuborg, Paulaner Wheat, Paulaner Pils. Coffee: Italian coffee. All types cafe in decaffeinated version available. Reasonable.
- 3 A38 (A38 étterem és bár), XI. Petofi bridge in Buda bridgehead (tram: 4, 6), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-So: 11:00-23:00. 'Artemovsk 38' Boat. Turned into a music club from an old Ukrainian stone-carrier ship, A38 is floating on Danube river and considered as one of Budapest's best quality party places (and one of Europe's coolest clubs). Hosts various music performances. 3 minutes walk southwards from Petőfi bridge, Buda side. soups €3-4,.
On Thursday, Friday and Saturday during the summer months you can take a Party Cruise from the Pest side which, after a 1½ hour boat tour will take you to the A38, or the Holdudvar:
- Party on the Danube boat – Available during the high season (May to September), this boat tour allows visitors to do a bit of touristy sightseeing and party like a local afterward. On Fridays and Saturdays, guests will meet at the Danube Palace at 22:30, hostesses escort them to the ship, where they are served a welcome drink of champagne or Jägermeister. The 1½ hour-long cruise features music and drinking games and of course the nighttime view of the city. At the end of the cruise, the boat docks at A38 or Holdudvar, two of the most popular clubs of Budapest.
- 4 Barba Negra Track, XI. Neumann János utca 2 (tram 1 to stop Infopark), ☏ . Open-air bar offering "almost-free" live concerts every night. Open: from late April until middle of September. On the southern side of Petőfi bridge on the Buda side.
- 5 Budapest Wine Tasting in Budafok, Tours meet on Deák square ( : Deak ter), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit one of the largest wine cellar labyrinth of the world and taste quality Hungarian wines from several Hungarian wine regions. Take a walk around the amazing 30 km long wine labyrinth, carved deep into a limestone hill with many historic attractions. it has been a constantly working wine cellar for more than 300 years, aging wines from different Hungarian wine regions.
- 1 Shantee House (formerly Backpacker Guesthouse), XI. Takács Menyhert Utca 33 (500 m W of Ujbuda-kozpont metro), ☏ . Small friendly hostel is laidback. Kitchen access, inexpensive beer for sale, a great lounge with lots of free movies to watch, hammocks in the backyard, a grocery store nearby, in a residential area near the 51/53 tramline. Dorm 11-bed €15, 4-bed: €20, double €37-41.
- 2 Schönherz Kollegium Hostel (Schönherz diákszálló), XI. Irinyi út 42 (500 m S of Szent Gellert ter.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. It's an 20 story high building. Mainly functions as student accommodation for Budapest University of Technology and Economics, but has some rooms for travellers out-of-term. However most are only available for larger groups. Jul & Aug: Sgl: €21-26; dbl: €31-36.
- 3 Kalmar Pension B&B, XI. Kelenhegyi út 7-9 (On Gellert Hill, small climb from Gellert square, tram: 18, 19, 41, 49), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 3-star historical pension. Garage €15/day. Sgl/dbl/tpi/studio €42/51/71/81.
- 4 Luna Hotel, XI Vegyész utca 17 (10 km S of centre, take tram 47 or train to Albertfalva), ☏ . Small modern 3-star hotel From €50.
- 5 Danubius Hotel Gellert, XI Szent Gellért tér 1 (W end of Szabadsag bridge. Tram 18, 19, 41, 47, 49; Bus 7, 7A), ☏ . Yes, it is the famous Gellert Hotel! Art Nouveau 4-star with baths, spa & sauna. See also the Baths section in Budapest article.
Wi-Fi served mostly of restaurants.
- 2 Budapest University of Technology and Economics, National Technical Information Centre and Library (BME OMIKK), XI. Budafoki út 4-6, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com.