West Busan consists of the districts of Sasang-gu, Gangseo-gu and Saha-gu in the city of Busan. This western part of the city is full of industrial parks leading to docks and the airport. There are however some nature areas preserved. It contains the Western district of Sasang, known for its large intercity bus station as well as Gimhae town.
- 1 Sasang Bus Station has many intercity connections throughout South Korea.
- Line 1 runs through the Saha-gu to Dadaepo beach. Busan Metro Line 2 runs through the Sasang area, also connecting to the Gimhae Light Rail that connects Busan to Gimhae International Airport and Gimhae town.
- This is the closest part of Busan to 2 Gimhae International Airport.
- If coming via the high-speed KTX train from Seoul, then Gupo KTX station is much closer to this area than Busan Station itself. Use the Metro line 3 to get there. Non-KTX riders can use Sasang Train Station. It is close to the Metro line 2 and Gimhae Light Rail.
- 1 Nakdong River Estuary Migratory Bird Sanctuary (낙동강하구에코센터) (Line 1 - Hadan Station). 08:00 - 20:00. The spot where the Nakdong River meets the South Sea has been declared a natural monument since 1966. Where the large mouth of the river forms, there are sand dunes and deltas and many small islands (including Ilung-do). It is now a bird sanctuary for migrating species that visit between October and March. There are over 150 different species (including many rare birds like white-naped cranes, black-faced spoonbills, and white-tailed eagles) that stop here on their migratory routes. It's difficult to reach by land, so it's best to take a boat from Myeongji-dong harbor. The best times to see the birds is early in the day, before it gets too hot.
- 2 Dadaepo Beach (다대포해수욕장), 14 Moleundae 1-gil, Saha-gu (Line 1, Dadaepo Beach station is right in front of the beach.). This beach might be the least famous beach in Busan. It is right next to Nakdong river, so it has very soft sand and the water is very shallow. There are small park, fountains, locker room, and small benches for watching the sunset. Among the beaches of Busan, this beach is the only one that faces the west, making this place perfect for sunset. It also has a mudflat next to the beach, and you can see small wildlife such as crabs and cranes from the elevated path.
- Jillye-myeon traditional pottery village near Gimhae
- 3 Janglim Harbor (장림포구) (Bus 338 from Sasang or Hadan stations). Janglim Harbor (inlet) is surrounded by many colorful buildings and boats, a popular spot for strolling or taking pictures. Free.
- Swim at Dadaepo Beach. If it is not summer, walking along the coast and watching the mudflats and sunset is also fantastic. It is less crowded than other beaches in Busan, so you can quietly enjoy the ocean breeze. For information about the beach itself, please see the listing for Dadaepo Beach.
Your best option in this area is to head into central Gimhae and enjoy one of its famous chicken restaurants.
There are a few bars to be found around the Sasang bus station, however the region is not regarded as a place for going out.
Sasang bus station has a wide range of cheap motel options around.
- The historical town of Gimhae, with ancient tombs and a reputation for great chicken restaurants.