- Not to be confused with Câmpulung Moldovenesc in Moldavia.
Câmpulung (occasionally Câmpulung Muscel) is a city in Muntenia.
One of the medieval capitals of Wallachia, Câmpulung has several interesting historical sites and a convenient location next to the Carpathian mountains.
Câmpulung is linked by very frequent (every half hour) buses with the regional hub Piteşti (1½ hours away). There are several direct buses from Bucharest (a 3hr trip), Braşov (2½hr) and Târgovişte (2hr). Most of their schedules are available on autogari.ro.
The city is reached by three direct trains from Bucharest (offering a 2hr45min travel time) and two commuter trains from Piteşti (2hr travel time), all operated by the public railway operator CFR. Timetables can be accessed on the CFR website.
Most of the city can be visited on foot.
- 1 Mănăstirea Negru Vodă (Negru Voda monastery), strada Negru Vodă 64, ☏ . Founded in the 14th century and rebuilt around 1635, houses the tomb of one of the first Wallachian princes.
- [dead link] Biserica Sfăntul Iacob (Bărăţia) (Saint Jacob church), strada Negru Vodă nr. 116, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A 13th century Catholic church.
- Muzeul de istorie (History museum), strada Negru Voda nr. 119, ☏ . Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. 3 lei.
- Muzeul de etnografie si arta populara (Ethnography and traditional art museum), strada Republicii nr. 5, ☏ . Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. 3 lei.
There are several guesthouses in the city, with prices starting around €14/night.