Caerphilly is just a few miles north of Cardiff, on the A469 road.
Bus number 26 starts from Cardiff Bus Station and goes to Caerphilly. In fact you can cover Castell Coch on the way to Caerphilly, because the bus stops very close to Castell Coch (in the village of Tongwynlais, on its way from Cardiff to Caerphilly. A 'Network Dayrider' ticket (£7.00/adult) will give you access to all Cardiff buses plus all buses in South East Wales, including Bus 26, for the day. A one way ticket just for Caerphilly will cost less.
- 1 Caerphilly Castle, Castle Street, CF83 1JD (In the town centre. You can't miss it.), ☎ . 1st April - 31st May 9:30AM-5PM. 1st June - 30th September 9:30AM-6PM. 1st October – 31st October 9:30AM-5PM. 1st November – 31st March 9:30AM-4PM (11AM-4PM on Sundays). Last entry 30 mins before closing. The largest castle in Wales, and the 2nd largest in the UK, after Windsor Castle. Boasts a tower that "out-leans" the famous one at Pisa. Adults £3.50, Conc £3.00, Family £10.00 (2 adults & 3 children).
- 2 Tommy Cooper (Statue), The Twyn. Just up the hill from Caerphilly Castle is the town's most famous son: just like that!
- The Big Cheese (Annual Arts Festival): 27–29 July 2018. This festival takes place on the last weekend of July in the grounds of Caerphilly Castle, with music, comedy, cheese racing, and historical reenactments. Free Event. (date needs updating)
- Megaday: 26 August 2018. Usually held in the grounds of Caerphilly Rugby Club, this is held the last weekend of August to raise money for nearby Velindre Hospital. Loads of great bands appear - watch out for Caerphilly legends Jaded, Fourth Street Traffic and loads more. It's undercover so don't worry if it's raining, although it can get a bit muddy. (date needs updating)
- 1 Caerphilly Indoor Market, 5 Pentrebane Street (Watch out for the turning by New Look), ☎ . Open Monday to Saturday the market has an eclectic mix of stalls with something for everyone. There is a butcher, a baker (no candlestick maker!), A Barbers, A Cafe, a babywear shop, phone shop, computer repairer, Celtic Cabin stocking all Welsh goods, produce and gifts, Fully Booked new and pre-owned book store, EK Beauty offering hair extensions, Arts and Crafts, Eds Attic Records, pet shop, Mark's market bargains, Spangles gifts, and Subculture who stock beautiful gothic and alternative clothing. Also Saturdays often see day traders who can bring any form of goods to the tables! There is a facebook page with news of special offers and events. Just type in Caerphilly Indoor Market.
The hard, white Caerphilly Cheese, which was originally made in the surrounding countryside and sold at the market in the town. Production of the real farmhouse Caerphilly died out during World War II as milk production was diverted to the large cheddar factories, but the practise has been revived in recent times.
- 1 Beano's, 47 Cardiff Road, ☎ . Very friendly and comfy cafe that does the best paninis you've ever tasted, largely in thanks to the cheese! And the milkshakes aren't bad either. £3.15 for a panini.
- 2 Hapus Ice Cream, 85 Newport Road, Machen (Head out of Caerphilly towards Newport, through Trethomas and we are on the right), ☎ . March-September 10am-6pm.
Bed & Breakfast
- The Cottage, Mountain View, Pwllypant, Caerphilly, ☎ . AA and WTB 3* B&B. All rooms en-suite.
- 1 Premier Inn Caerphilly Crossways Hotel, Crossways Business Park, Pontypandy, ☎ .
- 2 Premier Inn Corbetts Lane Hotel, Corbetts Lane, Llanbradach, ☎ .
- 3 Travelodge, 1 Beddaue Way, ☎ .