Salta - 4 hours 6 daily departures $75 with FlechaBus (Jan 2013)
Tucumán - 5 hours, 4 daily departures $106 with Aconquija (Feb 2012) **the route is sometimes closed during the rainy season
Town may be explored on foot, there are several place which hire bicycles to explore the vicinity.
The vineyards (bodegas), the Quebrada de Cafayate.
Traditional empanadas, tamales and humitas are easy to find and delicious. Be sure to try ice cream made from local wines - Ruta Nac. 40 between C.Q de Nino and Cordoba has a few ice cream shops.
Accommodation is generally no problem in Cafayate, there are a multitude of cheap small hostels as well as more expensive and more luxurious hotels.
- El Balcon Hostel, centrally located, offering free breakfast, WIFI, internet, kitchen use, outdoor patio areas, dorms from Ar$50.00 (Feb 2012)
- Killa Cafayate, hotel de charme located in the heart of town offers buffet breakfast, swimming pool, car parking, wireless Internet. The hotel receives guests from all over the world. Gay friendly
- 1 Casa de Peter, Alvarado 64 (Half a block from the post office), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12 NOON, check-out: 11AM. A bed and breakfast in the center of Cafayate, featuring fine art photography gallery, photography studio and two rooms available for travelers: private bathroom, independent entrance, parking, Wi-Fi, breakfast included.
- Salta ー medium-sized city with gorgeous colonial architecture
- Purmamarca ー very touristy but beautiful town