Calgary is a tiny village on the island of Mull in the Scottish Inner Hebrides. The name in Gaelic is Cala ghearraidh, meaning "beach of the meadow" or landing place; until the early 20th C Clyde puffers were beached by the pier to unload supplies. Colonel James Macleod, who'd been born on Skye but emigrated to Ontario, took a summer holiday here; he became Commissioner of the North-West Mounted Police in 1876 just as a new fort was being established in Alberta, and had it named "Fort Calgary" - the start of the modern Canadian city of 1.3 million.
There's very little accommodation or other amenities at Calgary. There's more at Dervaig five miles east, and straggling along the B8073; those facilities are described here.
Calgary is 12 miles from Tobermory along the narrow, winding B8073. West Coast Motors Bus 494 runs from Tobermory via Dervaig to Calgary, 40 mins; three M-F and one on Saturday. Tobermory has buses to the main ferry port of Craignure.
Ulva Ferry minibus runs twice F-Su from Calgary down the west coast to Ulva Ferry village, Gruline and Salen, where it connects with the 95 / 495 bus to Craignure. A ferry runs on demand to the island of Ulva.
You need wheels, at least a bike, it's five miles between Calgary and Dervaig and the bus is infrequent.
- 1 Calgary House (Calgary Castle). Closed. Castellated Gothic mansion, built 1823, where Colonel James Macleod was a guest and gave its name to Calgary Alberta. The property was sold in Dec 2018; the new owners intend it as a private residence so it's not expected to open for public visits or accommodation.
- 2 Old Byre Heritage Centre. M-F 10:30-18:30. Small museum with cafe and gift shop.
- Standing stones: there are several groups nearby, aligned as if for sunrise or moonrise sightings.
- - 3 Kilmore or Cnoc Fada stones are a row of five, with only two still upright. From the sharp bend near the top of the hill on the lane from Dervaig to Tobermory, they're signposted 200 yards away.
- - Walk beyond those for half a mile to find the Maol Mor group. The path is indistinct and they're often hard to find, but in 2019 the forest here is being felled so they may be easier to spot.
- - Another group of four are nearby in Dervaig cemetery just below the road.
- - The Quinish are a line of four, with only the "Caliach" - the old woman - still upright. Follow the little lane north from Dervaig to Quinish Estate. There's parking spaces here and the stones are a mile away.
- - The group by Glengorm Castle are some miles north, better accessed by the lane from Tobermory.
- Calgary Art In Nature is a woodland walk with sculptures. It's at Calgary Farmhouse (see "Calgary self-catering" under "Sleep"). The cafe here is open daily 10:00-17:00.
- Enjoy the beach.
- Watch for eagles at 1 Loch Torr, the freshwater loch on the lane from Tobermory. There's a wildlife hide: you go in it, the wildlife hides, that's the deal.
There's a gallery and art / craft shop with the cafe in Calgary Art in Nature.
- 1 Am Birlinn, Dervaig PA75 6QSQ (a mile west of Dervaig), ☏ . W-Su 12:00-14:30 & 17:00-21:00. Seafood restaurant, booking essential.
- And see also Calgary Self-Catering cafe, and Bellachroy Hotel restaurant.
See Eat section above.
- Wild camping in tents is permitted along the beach, but not caravans.
- 1 Calgary Self Catering, Calgary PA75 6QQ (half mile back from the beach), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: Make prior arrangements if arriving after 18:00. Calgary Farm House and Hay Loft, East & West Lofts and Lime Tree Cottages are available for self-catering, usually Sat-to-Sat.
- 2 Mornish Schoolhouse, Mornish, Calgary PA75 6QG (between Calgary and Dervaig), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. B&B in a very quiet spot. B&B double £60.
- 3 Bellachroy Inn, Dervaig PA75 6QW, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Three-star hotel with 7 rooms en suite. With restaurant and public bar. B&B double £125.
- Ardbeg House in Dervaig has B&B double from £80.
- Over a dozen self-catering places close to Dervaig (including Half Moon House which is no longer a hotel); the Dervaig Hostel appears not to be taking bookings in 2019.