Jump to navigation Jump to search
Caltabellotta is a hilltop village in Sicily.
Local bus from Sciacca.
It is 60 km (37 mi) south of Palermo and about 45 km (28 mi) northwest of Agrigento.
Walk, but remember how to find a bus stop if you go downhill!
The whole of the top is fascinating; there's no waste of space and the tunnel under the crest has hugely different weather and outlook on each side. There is an interesting church at the east end.
- 1 Cathedral Basilica of Maria Santissima Assunta, Via Madrice. Built by the Normans in the eleventh century, characterized by a Gothic portal and inside it presents works by the Gagini and workshop.
- 2 Church of Sant'Agostino, Via Vitalla, 1. Inside it houses a terracotta Deposition by Antonino Ferraro da Giuliana (1512).
- Church and Monastery of San Pellegrino, Via S. Pellegrino. First bishop of Triocala, religious buildings built on pre-existing systems in 1721, as can be seen on the facade of the church.
- 3 Church of the Carmine, Via Lo Magro. It already existed in 1575, the year in which the Carmelites settled there in the adjacent college.
- Capuchin Church, Via Sicily. Made in the 17th century.
- Church of the Pietà. Small church built partly in the rock, from the Byzantine era.
- Church of Itria, Via Perrone. Ex Souls in Purgatory, from the 16th century.
- Collegio Church, Via Lo Magro.
- 4 Church of San Salvatore, Via S. Pellegrino, 76.
- Badia Church, Via Colonnello Vita, 31. Former Church of San Lorenzo .Remembered for its Gothic portal and for the chapel embellished with frescoes by Orazio Ferraro da Giuliana from 1594, now used as an auditorium.
- Ruins of the church of San Francesco, Via S. Francesco. Place of worship that was dedicated by Roger the Norman to the Madonna della Recommended, of which only the facade remains.
- Ruins of the San Benedetto church. With three naves, it is located in the district of the same name, and reduced to ruins.
- Former Church of San Paolo. In the district of the same name, it was reused as a mill, now disused.
- Sacrificial altar of the god Kronos.
- 5 Castle of Count Luna (Castle of Sibilla of Medania). From the Norman period, rebuilt on a pre-existing Arab fortress system. It belonged to the Peralta family in the Aragonese era, to the De Luna family of Aragon in the Spanish era.
- Sicana necropolis.
- Caves of San Cono.
- Contrada San Marco necropolis.
- Civic Museum of Caltabellotta (Palazzo della Signoria), Via Madrice, 3. It houses a permanent exhibition of works by the sculptor Salvatore Rizzuti.