There is a Village of Cambridge and a Town of Cambridge. However, they are adjacent and can be logically thought of as one unit. Both are quite small, though the town has several multi-story (that is, 2- or 3-story) brick buildings, whereas the village is even less built up.
US Route 22, which goes north and south, is the main artery in the region.
State Route 372, which goes east and west, is Main Street, which is perpendicular to Park Street (US Route 22). Street parking on Main Street is ample and free.
Main Street is lined with beautiful and tasteful historic buildings starting to the east of Park Street in the village and extending to the rows on both sides of the street east of Union St. in the town.
- 1 Hubbard Hall, 25 E. Main St, ☏ . Box Office hours: Tue 10am-5pm, Wed 11am-4pm, Thu 10am-5pm, Fri 11am-4pm. Performances continue to take place in this pretty 19th-century opera house (established in 1878), including theater, opera and various kinds of musical performances.
- 2 Battenkill Valley Outdoors, 1414 State Route 313, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Office opens at 10 AM; last river trip at 2:30 PM. This outfitter does a great job in operating canoe and kayak trips along the Battenkill River. They also have a rustic lodge for rent, which is a large house, rent bikes and provide maps for hikers. They are super nice and helpful. $70 for rental of 2-person canoe or kayak, including tax, life jacket, drybag or box, dropoff and pickup from the river; center seat for $10 additional; $50 for solo kayak. Lodging: $125 double occupancy, $195 for 3 or more people. Bike rental: $20 half day/$25 whole day for 1 person; $30/$40 for tandem bikes.
- Walk down Main Street from Park Street to the center of the town and back again along the other side of the street.
- Drive or bike around the local countryside.
- Silvano's Italian Restaurant, 68 West Main St, ☏ . 5-9 on weekdays; also open for lunch Fri-Sun. Unusually good renditions of Italian-American classics. The chicken francaise, for example, is moist, very lightly breaded and its sauce is made with a good quantity of fresh lemon juice. Daily specials can include items like lobster ravioli. Great wine list, too, and very well priced, with some excellent wines for $6 a glass. Food prices are moderate, with large salads to share $6.95-8.95 and mains ranging from $9.95 to the low 20s.