The area where the town of Camp Hill stands today was first settled in 1735 by people living on the west shore of the Susquehanna River, across from Harrisburg. This settlement was positioned on the main road to Harrisburg. In the mid 1800s the Cumberland Valley Railroad was built from the Susquehanna River to Carlisle. The railway expanded to Chambersburg and in 1839 a railroad bridge was build to Harrisburg connecting to the coal trains from the north. By the late 1800s one-third of the residents of Camp Hill were railroad workers. This increased the settlements population and on November 10, 1885 Camp Hill became a legalized town.
By the 1900s Camp Hill had become more of a suburb than a working town and most of its inhabitants commuted from the town to work across the river in Harrisburg. The town continued to grow throughout the 1900s as a fire department, several schools, shopping centers, retail establishments, and a variety of public works buildings were established. Today Camp Hill is a very pleasant little town with many shops and establishment. It is also conveniently located four miles outside of Harrisburg, nineteen miles from Carlisle, and thirty five miles from Gettysburg.
Visitors who will arrive by air, bus, or train may arrive through nearby Harrisburg. Please consult that article for more details.
Bus service from Harrisburg is provided by Capital Area Transit.
This is the main way to get around Camp Hill. There are no parking meters in the town and also no garages.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 3401 Hartzdale Drive, ☏ .
- Yellow Cab Co, ☏ .
- Keystone Cab Co, ☏ .
- Willow Park, Located along Market Street through 24th Street. The park has a lovely little gazebo next to a creek. The park has a very soothing atmosphere and is a splendid place to take a walk, jog, or just lounge in the grass.
- West Shore Country Club, 100 Brentwater Road, ☏ . Swimming, tennis, golf, banquets.
- [dead link] Cinema Center of Camp Hill, 3431 Simpson Ferry Road, ☏ . Movie theater.
- Greek Festival, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 1000 Yverdon Drive Camp Hill, ☏ . Held every year in May. Enjoy traditional Greek food, dancing, and other events during the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral's annual Greek Festival.
- Diane's Balloon Wraps, 1509 Market Street, ☏ . Tue-Sat 10AM-6PM. Balloons, cards, banquets, custom designs, gift baskets, stationary, and a wide selection of indoor and outdoor flags.
- Holmes Cycling & Fitness, 2139 Market Street, ☏ . January–March: Mon-Fri 11AM-7PM, Sat 10AM-5PM; April–August: Mon-Fri 10AM-8PM, Sat 10AM-5PM; September–December: Mon-Fri 10AM-7PM, Sat 10AM-5PM. Cycling and fitness equipment outfitter which carries quality fitness equipment, kids bikes, mountain or road bikes.
- Rose Marie's Antiques, 2136 Market Street, ☏ . Antique dealer.
- Barnes & Nobles, 58 South 32nd Street, ☏ . Mon-Thu 9AM-10PM, Fri-Sat 9AM-11PM, Sun 9AM-9PM.
- Pazazz Home Decor, 3806 Market Street, ☏ . Specializes in unique gifts, furniture, home accents, and artisan jewelry.
- Fishbone Apparel, 4343 Carlisle Pike. Mon-Sat 11AM-8PM, Sun 12PM-5PM. Specializes in alternative sports lifestyle merchandise ranging from apparel to snowboarding and skateboarding equipment.
- Wine Fine & Good Spirits, 3760 Market Street, ☏ . Mon-Tue 11AM-7PM, Wed-Sat 9AM-9PM. Wine and spirits store.
- Capital City Mall, 3506 Capital City Mall Drive, ☏ . Over 80 stores and restaurants.
- Kathie's Christmas and Collectibles, 3309 Hartzdale Drive, ☏ . Mon-Sat 10AM-9PM, Sun 12PM-5PM. Specializes in collectibles from fine porcelain to jewelry.
- One Good Women, 1845 Market Street, ☏ . Tue-Wed & Fri 10AM-5PM, Thu 10AM-6PM, Sat 9AM-3PM. Gourmet gifts.
- 1 The Pennsylvania Bakery, 1713 Market St, ☏ . M-F 6AM-7PM, Sa 6AM-5PM. Bakery with a wide and ever changing selection of deserts, breads, and coffee.
- Olivia's Tea Room, 1959 Market Street, ☏ . Thu-Sat 10AM-4:30PM. Tea house which offers high tea and parties for both adults and children.
- Cornerstone Coffee House, 2133 Market Street, ☏ . Mon-Thu 6:30AM-10PM, Fri 6:30AM-11PM, Sat 7:30AM-11PM, Sun 7:30AM-9PM. Coffee house with a variety of made-to-order sandwich and soup options.
- Cedars Restaurant, 2153 Market Street, ☏ . Mon 5PM-10PM, Tue-Sun 11AM-10PM. Lebanese and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Friendly's, 3125 Market Street, ☏ . Family-friendly restaurant.
- Two Cousins Pizza, 32 Erford Road, ☏ . Mon-Thu 10AM-9PM, Fri 10AM-10PM, Sat 11AM-9PM, Sun 11AM-8PM.
- Flinchy's, 1833 Hummel Avenue, ☏ . Casual fine dining.
- Masala Bistro, 3401 Hartzdale Drive, Suite 120, ☏ . Indian cuisine.
- Gullifty's, 1104 Carlisle Road, Cedar Cliff Mall, ☏ . Sun-Tue 11:30AM-10PM, Wed-Thu 11:30AM-11PM, Fri-Sat 11:30AM-12AM (midnight). Casual upscale dining and night club.
- Brewhouse Grille, 2050 State Road, ☏ . American style food and beer.
- 2 Sophia's On Market, 3700 Market St (the Shoppes of Hampden), ☏ . M-F 7AM-3PM, Sa 8AM-2PM. Bakery and cafe.
- Sierra Madre Saloon, 4035 Market Street, ☏ . Mexican.
- Peppino's Pizza & Subs & Pasta, 3649 Market Street, ☏ .
- Theo's Bar and Grille, 3315 Hartzdale Drive, ☏ . American style food and drinks.
- Summit Family Restaurant, 2210 Gettysburg Road, ☏ . American home-style cooking.
- 3 Thai Palace, 3608 Market St, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-9PM, F 11AM-10PM, Sa 4PM-10PM.
- Hard Bean Café, 3609 Market Street.
- Marie’s Café, 4401 Carlisle Pike, ☏ . Mon-Sat 7AM-2PM. Breakfast, sandwiches, wraps, soups.
- Nikoli's Pizza & Catering, 3904 Gettysburg Road, ☏ . Mon-Thu 10:30AM-9PM, Fri 10:30AM-10PM, Sat 10:30AM-9PM, Sun 11AM-8PM. Pizza, subs, wings, and sandwiches.
- Brewhouse Grille, 2050 State Road, ☏ .
- Theo's Bar and Grille, 3315 Hartzdale Drive, ☏ .
- Garfield's Restaurant and Pub, Capital City Mall, 3524 Capital City Mall Drive, ☏ .
- Ye Olde Ale House, 5002 Carlisle Pike, ☏ .
- The Coliseum, 410 St. John's Church Road, ☏ . Sun-Thu 11AM-12AM, Fri-Sat 11AM-2AM. Food, alcohol, parties, live entertainment, and games. Geared toward adults.
- Arooga’s Grille House & Sports Bar, 1300 Camp Hill Bypass, ☏ .
- Appalachian Brewing Co, 3721 Market Street, ☏ .
- 1 Radisson Hotel Harrisburg Hershey, 1150 Camp Hill Bypass, ☏ , toll-free: . A very nice hotel with a variety of different types of rooms, two different restaurants, a fitness center, and convention space for businesses. Its location is ideal to enjoy the quieter aspects of the town of Camp Hill while still being close enough to travel to Harrisburg and Hershey.
- Allentown - Pennsylvania's third-largest city, with an amusement park and casino action.
- Carlisle - Explore classic car country.
- Gettysburg - Famous for its Civil War battleground.
- Harrisburg - The state capital.
- Hershey - The town that is synonymous with chocolate.
- Lancaster - The heart of Amish country.