Campo Grande is a modern, pleasant town of 800,000 inhabitants (2007) that sits in the middle of Brazilian cattle country. The city plays an important role as a regional center for services and commerce. For travelers, Campo Grande is the main gateway to the southern part of the Pantanal and to Bonito, a small town surrounded by rivers of clear waters located approximately 300 km far from Campo Grande. It is known in Brazil for as the brown city because of the local soil color. Its inhabitants are called campo-grandenses.
The culture of the city involves a heritage of native Brazilians and other people of diverse origins (Italian, German, Syrian-Lebanese, Japanese, Paraguayans, and Bolivians, among others).
Campo Grande has an airport served by TAM , Gol , Azul , and Trip . The airport is located about 7 km from the downtown area. Tourists can get a bus or taxi on their way to the city. There's no shuttle bus service, so if you want to catch a bus from the airport into town, there's a bus stop about 50 meters to the right of the main avenue right in front of the airport (as you go from the airport to the avenue).
Interstate buses depart to numerous destinations, including Corumbá (5–6 hours, on the border with Bolivia), Bonito, Iguaçu Falls, São Paulo (13 to 15 hours) and Rio de Janeiro (20 hours). A new bus terminal started operating in February 2010, and is located about 6 km from downtown Campo Grande. Tourists arriving at the bus terminal can reach the city by bus (local bus lines going downtown depart from the bus stop in front of the new terminal) or by taxi.
Campo Grande's downtown area is small enough for you to cover it on foot.
The tourist office bus or City Tour Tour Bus on the corner of Av. Alfonso Pena and Av. Noroeste can be very helpful and the staff speaks English.
- Inferninho - This park, located outside of the urban perimeter, has some waterfalls.
- Ayrton Senna Park - Tu-Su, 8AM-7PM.
- Parque Ecológico do Sóter - It is the newest park in the city. Projected as a model park, it is comprised of 22 hectares of green areas, multi-sports squares, skate park, cycling trails and a churrasco kiosk.
- Park Estadual do Prosa - Area of 135 hectares with motorbike trails.
- Park Florestal Antonio de Albuquerque/Horto-Florestal - A green area of 4.5 hectares with some species of native trees. A prominent landmark of the city, it also possesses a library, snack bar, playground, skate park, and cycling trails. Is located in a walking distance from the city center.
- Itanhangá Park – Kiosks and a children's park. 6:30AM–9:30PM.
- Jacques da Luz Park
- Parque das Nações Indígenas (at Afonso Pena av.) – One of the biggest urban parks of the world, with an extension of 119 hectares. It offers good infrastructure for leisure and sports.
- Parque dos Poderes – The name does not refer to a park, but to a neighborhood of the city where most of the local government buildings are located, among areas of preserved native vegetation. Although urbanized, it's possible to see some species of wild animals walking freely on the streets and paths at the area.
- Ary Coelho Plaza, Afonso Pena av. – Its huge fountain was once a stage for grand political events. It is the most traditional square of the city.
- Praça Cuiabá
- Praça of Araras (Av. João Rosa Pires with Dom Aquino)
- Belmar Fidalgo Sporting Complex
- Praça dos Imigrantes
- Praça Oshiro Takamari - where the Aboriginal Fair functions
- Praça da República, Av. Afonso Pena. Containing a monument to Japanese immigration.
- Praça Vilas-Boas - Known for its fish-like shape.
- Arnaldo Estevão de Figueiredo Memorial House, Av. Calógeras, 2163. Constructed in 1921, it keeps alive the history of Mato Grosso do Sul.
- Museum of Search and Rescue Aviation (Museo de Aviação de Busca e Salvamento)
- Museum of Image and Sound (MIS)
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MARCO, R. Barão do Rio Branco, 2155). In addition to local plastic artists, this museum presents samples of artists of other states.
- Museum of Natural History
- José Antônio Pereira Museum, Av. Guaicurus. Donated by the founder of the city to one of its children. Today it recounts the history of the state capital.
- Lídia Baís Museum
- Dom Bosco Regional Museum, R. Barão do Rio Branco, 1611. Learn about the Bororó, Carajá and Xavante tribes.
- Estação Ferroviária do Noroeste (old railroad of the Northwest of Brazil): - was constructed by a comitiva (that it arrived in 1907), commanded for the engineer Emilio Schenoor, who signed contract with the federal government. It is a heritage site protected by law.
- Monument of the Aviator - the airplane was used in the Second World War and pays homage to the Tenete Aviator Keys Son
- Monument of Japanese Immigration - the Japanese colony of the state homages, that arrived at the beginning of the 20th century.
- Monument of the Immigrants (Landmark of the Foundation of the city) - it pays homage to the first families of migrantes that had come of Minas Gerais and is represented by an ox car.
- Dwelling of the Baís (Av. the Northwest, 5140) - tumbled as historic site, is a permanent space for musical expositions of art and spectacles. Constructed in 1918 and revitalized in 1993, today it is a place of cultural samples and tourist information
- Obelisco - inaugurated in 1933 and tumbled as patrimony in 1975. Considered a reference of the city
- Palace of the Communications - known as Educative TV, the palace consumed about US$8 million in its construction. Considered the higher masonry tower of the world with 100 m and the direction of the TVE functions there.
- Clock of the 14 (Av. Calógeras with Alfonso Pena) - He was one of the first monuments that the city received, was demolido and after some decades, was rescued given its historical value. Inaugurated in 2000, she is one talks back of the original, that was demolido on behalf of the progress.
- Village of the Railroad Workers - constructed for the installation of the employees and its familiar ones.
- Igreja Matriz de Santo Antônio/Catedral de Nossa Senhora da Abadia - constructed in homage to the patron of the city in 1880, it was the first church to be constructed in Campo Grande.
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Perpétuo Socorro
- Parish of San Francisco de Assis, R. 14 of July. Situated at the side of the railroad station. Considered one of the biggest historical constructions of Campo Grande, it is a landmark in the oldest part of the city.
- Parish of São Jose, R. Dom Peter Celestino, corner with are. Dom Aquino. Constructed in 1938, it is among the most frequent churches in the city.
Get a sweet tan.
The local crafts are definitely what you go to want to go for here. Also try some typical fruits such as araçá and bocaiúva. Don't fail to stop by the Casa do Artesão (Craftstmen's house) and Barroarte. If you would like to purchase clothes and shoes (Havaianas, etc.), you will be able to find them at Rua 14 de Julho (14 de Julho Street).
- Casa do Artesão (Craftsmen's House)
- Central Fair
- Indigenous Fair - Where Native Brazilian craftsmen display and market their handicrafts.
- Memorial of the Indigenous Culture
- Antônio Valente Municipal Market - constructed in 1933. Well worth a visit. You will find all kinds of spices, grains, home-made candy, and above all, the rather locally famous "'pastel frito'". You must try that. Avoid all flavors that are stored as sauces, since those may increase your chances of getting sick.
- First Trace
- Land & Tram
- Camelódromo - Organized "shopping mall" of street vendors with 464 "stores", mostly selling cheap imports and knock-offs.
- Marrakesh Center , Rua Antonio Mario Coelho, corner with Rua 25 de Dezembro. Small commercial center with 20 stores.
- Shopping Campo Grande - Only actual major shopping mall in town, with 160 stores and 10 theatre multiplex called Cinemark.
- Shopping Pantanal , Rua Mal Cândido Mariano Rondon, 1518. Small commercial center with 90-plus stores.
- Pátio Avenida , Avenida Afonso Pena has a little theater, academy, a lan house, and some stores.
- A Saladeria, ☎ . Shopping Campo Grande, 2nd floor. - Salad and Grill
- A Tavola Con Toscano, Rua Jornalista Belizario Lima, 388, ☎ .
- Acepipe Restaurante, Rua Eduardo Santos Pereira, 645, ☎ .
- Bar e Restaurante Litani, Rua Euclides da Cunha, 707. Jardim dos Estados - Cozinha árabe
- Bella Parmegiana, ☎ . Shopping Campo Grande Lj. 803.
- Boi de Ouro, Rua Antônio Arantes, 307, ☎ .
- Campo Grande Youth Hostel, Rua Joaquim Nabuco 185, has a noisy but convenient café just outside the reception. It has beer and vegetarian options.
- Cantina Mama Itália, Rua Dr. Arthur Jorge, 1223, ☎ , .
- Cantina Masseria, Av. Afonso Pena, 4311, ☎ .
- Cantina Romana, Rua da Paz, 237, ☎ .
- Carlitos Pizzaria, Rua Maracajú, 1428, ☎ .
- Casa Colonial, Av. Afonso Pena, 3997, ☎ .
- Casa das Delícias, Rua Candido Mariano, 1661, ☎ .
- Casa do Peixe, Rua João Rosa Pires, 1030, ☎ .
- Churrascaria Nilson, Rua José do Patrocinio, 165, ☎ .
- Costelaria do Gaucho Gastão, Rua 14 de julho, 775, ☎ .
- Delícias na Brasa, Av. Mato Grosso, 2129, ☎ .
- Dom Marchitto Pizzaria, Rua Dom Aquino, 1600, ☎ .
- Dom Pauligi Pizzaria, Rua Dr. Arthur Jorge, 933, ☎ .
- Empório Árabe, Rua 15 de Novembro, 2090, ☎ .
- Fogão de Minas, ☎ . Rua Dom Aquino.
- Galeteria Zanoto, Rua Amazonas, 983, ☎ .
- Gato Mia Pizzaria, Rua Candido Mariano, 2511, ☎ .
- Gourmet Parque, ☎ . Palácio Popular da Cultura.
- Khalil Karnes, ☎ . Rua Furnas.
- Komilão Restaurante, Rua Candido Mariano, 2, ☎ . 383.
- L' Acqua In Bocca Pizzaria, Av. Mato Grosso, 2521, ☎ .
- Manura Cozinha Árabe, Av. Mato Grosso, 579, ☎ .
- Micheluccio Pizzaria, Rua Euclides da Cunha, 135, ☎ .
- Mr. Pizza, ☎ . Shopping Campo Grande Lj. 801.
- Multiplus Restaurantes, Rua Candido Mariano, 2512, ☎ .
- Nikko Restaurante, Av. Ernesto Geisel, 5055, ☎ .
- Nutrimais Alimento, ☎ . Aeroporto Internacional.
- Peixaria Corumbaense, Av. Mato Grosso, 2661, ☎ .
- Peixaria Pantanal, Rua Rui Barbosa, 1111, ☎ .
- Pizza & Pizza, Rua José Antônio, 182, ☎ .
- Pizza House, Rua José Antônio, 523, ☎ .
- Pizzaria Pantanal, Rua Rui Barbosa, 1111, ☎ .
- Pizzaria Romana, Rua Bahia, 463, ☎ .
- Restaurante Centurion, Rua da Paz, 530, ☎ .
- Restaurante e Pizzaria Afonso 3007, Avenida Afonso Pena, 3007, ☎ . Excellent buffet during lunch and "rodízio de pizza" in the evening. Delicious Feijoada on Saturdays during lunch.
- Restaurante China, Rua Pedro Celestino, 750, ☎ .
- Restaurante Famiglia Gianelli, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Restaurante Feijão Preto, ☎ . Rua J. P. Souza, 831/Av. Marechal C. M. Rondon, 1.289.
- Restaurante Fogo Caipira, Rua José Antônio, 145, ☎ . Centro.
- Restaurante Hong Kong Senshin-An, ☎ . Rua Dr. João Rosa Pires, 761.
- Restaurante Hora do Almoço, Rua Candido Mariano, 1656, ☎ .
- Restaurante Palladares, Rua Rui Barbosa, 3059, ☎ .
- Restaurante Shimada, Rua Antônio Correa, 776, ☎ .
- Restaurante Yaki Sobá, Av. Ernesto Geisel, 5115, ☎ .
- Rotisseria Campo Grande, Av. Mato Grosso, 3025, ☎ .
- Sabor Enquilo, Rua Afoson Pena, 2223, ☎ .
- San Marino Pizzas, Av. Afonso Pena, 2716, ☎ .
- Soba House, Rua Tietê, 84, ☎ . Vila Planalto. - Tem pacu frito, caldo de piranha, dobradinha, etc.
- Sobáchopps, Av. Mato Grosso, 2800, ☎ .
- Sobaria Carandá, Rua Vitorio Zeolla, 1870, ☎ .
- Tasciana, Rua das Garças, 427, ☎ .
- Tempero Baiano, Rua Dom Aquino, 2, ☎ . 331.
- Vitório's Churrascaria, Av. Afonso Pena, 1907, ☎ .
- Viva a Vida, Rua Dom Aquino, 1, ☎ . 354 - Centro. Comida vegetariano.
- Yotedy, ☎ . Parque das Nações Indigenas, 6200.
- Zitão Churrascaria, ☎ . BR 163 Km. 502.
- Atualmente, Rua Brilhante, 2110, ☎ .
- Áquila Fast Food, Rua Dr. Arthur Jorge, 2042, ☎ .
- Bar da BRAHMA, ☎ . Rua Dr Mario Edson de Barros, 64.
- Bar do Zé, ☎ . Rua Barão do Rio Branco, 1213.
- Bilhar Snooker Sport Bar, Rua 25 Dezembro, 1, ☎ . 737.
- BOB'S, ☎ . Shopping Campo Grande Lj. 802.
- Café Mostarda, Avenida Afonso Pena, 3952, ☎ .
- Cantina Mato Grosso, Av. Mato Grosso, 5017, ☎ .
- Cervejaria Bier Hof Chopp, Av. Mato Grosso, 5017, ☎ .
- Choperia 4 mil, Av. Afonso Pena, 4, ☎ . 000.
- Confraria da Batata, Rua José Antônio, 157, ☎ . Tel.Fone:
- GUGU Lanches, Av. Afonso Pena, 1465, ☎ .
- Kitanda Café Bar, Rua Antônio Maria Coelho, 2421, ☎ .
- Lalai Doces, Rua Bahia, 999, ☎ , .
- Luz da Lua, Rua Pedro Celestino, 1681, ☎ .
- Madallena, Rua Pedro Celestino, 1641, ☎ .
- Narguille Bar, Rua Espirito Santo, 429, ☎ .
- Park's, Rua Itacuru, 140, ☎ . Itanhangá.
- Péssimus, Av. Afonso Pena, 3901.
- Tábua de Frios, Rua Antônio Maria Coelho, 2699, ☎ .
- [dead link]Kitai - Comida Japonesa, Rua Euclides da Cunha, 228 (Jardim dos Estados), ☎ .
- Tango, Rua Cândido Mariano, 2181, ☎ .
- Tozen , Parque de Exposições Laucídio Coelho, 792.
- [dead link]Club Garage, Rua 13 de Maio, 2825, ☎ .
- Free Song Karaokê, ☎ . Rua 7 de Setembro, 804 - Centro.
- Valley Acoustic Bar, Rua José Antonio, 792, Tel. +55 67 3025-5676, 
- Campo Grande Youth Hostel, Rua Joaquim Nabuco 185, +55 67 3042-0508, +55 67 3321-0505. Hostelling International hostel with cheap private rooms located directly in the front of the former bus station. Swimming pool and breakfast included. Note - This hostel has now lost it's HI membership due to non-compliance of HI rules.
- Hotel Grande Anel, Av. Matias Albuquerque, 39, ☎ . 45.
- Hotel Iguaçu, Rua Dom Aquino, 761, ☎ .
- Hotel Nacional, Rua Dom Aquino, 610, ☎ . Hotel with cheap basic private rooms located underground with shared bath (35-45 Reais), or nicer rooms upstairs with private bath and better standards (70+ Reais). Breakfast buffet included with Fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, cakes and bread. Some Spanish spoken/understood.
- Village Palace Hotel, Rua Dom Aquino, 804, ☎ .
- Hotel Advanced, Av. Calogeras, 1909, ☎ .
- Hotel Bínder Concord, Av. Calogeras, 1624, ☎ , . Av. Calogeras, 1909
- Caranda Hotel, Rua Joaquim Nabuco, 62, ☎ .
- Exceler Plaza Hotel, Av. Afonso Pena, 444, ☎ . Amambaí. Confortável. Em avenida movimentada, perto do Aeroporto. Piscina, sauna, quadras, bar. Aceita cartões de crédito.
- Hotel Americano, Rua 14 de Julho, 2311, ☎ .
- Hotel Athenas, ☎ . América, 608.
- Hotel Buriti, Rua Antônio Maria Coelho, 2, ☎ . 301.
- Hotel Campo Grande, Rua 13 de maio, 2825, ☎ .
- Hotel Galli, Av. Afonso Pena, 754, ☎ .
- Hotel Gaspar, Av. Mato Grosso, 02, ☎ .
- Hotel Internacional, Rua Alan Kardec, 233, ☎ .
- Hotel Metropolitan, Av. Ernesto Geisel, 5100, ☎ .
- Hotel Paris, Av. Costa e Silva, 4175, ☎ . Prices from R$33 for a single, R$55 for a double for basic rooms, more for a/c or TV. Internet, pool and breakfast included.
- Hotel Pousada Kaimã, Av. Calógeras, 1, ☎ . 699 - Centro. Apartamentos com ar, som e TV.
- Hotel Real, Av. Costa e Silva, 3895, ☎ .
- Hotel Roma, ☎ . Av. Redentor. 213.
- Hotel União, Av. Calógeras, 2, ☎ . 828 - Centro. Rooms with AC, minibar, TV, breakfast, and dedicated parking.
- Hotel Vale Verde, Av. Afonso Penas, 106, ☎ . Amambaí. Pool and bar.
- Hotel Vânia, ☎ . Rua Marechal Cândido Mariano Rondon, 1.004 - Centro.
- Hotel Zys, ☎ . Rua Barão do Rio Branco, 342.
- Indaia Park Hotel, Av. Afonso Pena, 354, ☎ .
- Jandaia Hotel, ☎ . Rua Barão do Rio Branco, 1271 - Centro., Comfortably located downtown. Swimming pool, gameroom, gym, bar. Accepts all major credit cards.
- Novotel Campo Grande, Av. Mato Grosso, 5, ☎ , . 555 - Jd. Copacabana. Comfortable but a bit far from downtown. Spacious rooms. Swimming pool, game room, table tennis, playground, bar. Accepts credit cards.
- Pousada Dom Aquino, Rua Dom Aquino, 1806, ☎ .
- Pousada Mangabal, Rua José Antônio, 815. Centro.
- Palace Hotel, ☎ . Rua Dom Aquino. 1501.
- Turis Hotel, ☎ . Rua Trindade. 322.