Canggu proper is a small village on the beach about 20 minutes north of Seminyak, half way to Tanah Lot. Canggu is widely used though to refer to a large coastal stretch of about 8 km, running north from the village of Berawa (just north of Seminyak) to the village of Cemagi (just south of Tanah Lot) taking in Echo Beach, Seseh and Pererenan along the way. It is still a largely rural area away from the beaches, but is being developed fast.
The beaches have dark grey or black sand and are not particularly good for swimming, but do offer some renowned and challenging surfing spots.
Nelayan Beach (Fisherman Beach) is where you can still get fresh fish, lobsters, and prawns every early morning. Five minutes walk between Berawa Beach and Batu Bolong Beach.
The area is popular with many expatriates who choose to live here, and a large number of the villas owned by overseas nationals are located here. Much of the area features quietly undulating terrain with the rice paddies that typify much of south central Bali.
Taxis can be hard to find in this area and most travel tends to be by private car or motorcycle. Consider booking accommodation with a complimentary airport pickup as this is the easiest way to get to Canggu.
- Putu's Canggu Taxi - Private driver
Canggu is a nice area for biking so you can explore the area and see the rice paddies. Some guesthouses rent bicycles. Just watch out for cars.
- Very pastoral, Canggu offers a chance to observe the daily rhythms of Balinese village life.
- Check out the sunset from your perch on a surfboard.
- Black sand beaches. Amongst the better beaches in this area are Berawa, Echo Beach and Pererenan.
- The nearby Nirwana Bali Golf Course Tanah Lot. Designed by Greg Norman and is constantly voted one of the best golf courses in Asia, beside the dramatic, waved-lashed sea temple of Tanah Lot just to the north.
- Various activities are offered at the Canggu Club. Bali's first (and only) country club.
- Casa Day Spa & delivery, Jl Raya Canggu 58A (inbetween Berawa and Batu Bolong Intersection), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 12:00-20:00. Spa treatment Rp 40,000-225,000.
- 1 Yoga Classes (Serenity Yoga Canggu Bali), Jl Nelayan, Br (on the way to Batu Bolong Beach), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 07:00-20:00. Beginner, intermediate and advanced yoga classes. No reservation required, bring towel. Rp100,000.
- OM Beach Lounge Restaurant (opposite Hotel Tugu), ☏ . 08:00-23:00. International style food in a large bamboo construction, nice sunset views. Organic market on Sundays, child friendly environment.
- Moana Fish Eatery, Pantai Batu Bolong St No.28, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 11:00-23:00. Polynesian restaurant
- CRATE Cafe, Jl. Canggu Padang Linjong, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 06:00-17:00. A space where good music, good food, good coffee and good people meet, and create good vibes.
- Gypsy Kitchen+Bar, Jalan Munduk Catu #1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-22:00. Gypsy Kitchen and Bar serves fresh cocktails and food from famous Canadian chef Robin Filteau-Boucher.
- Dukuh, Jl Canggu Club 31, Berawa (directly between the Canggu Club and Berawa Beach). Good value restaurant with nice rice field views. Mains around Rp 30,000.
- 1 Alkaline Restaurant, Jl Nelayan (on the way to Batu Bolong Beach), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-22:00. Vegan raw western Indonesian cafe and juice bar. Offers healthy snacks and meals. Rp 10,000-60,000.
- 2 Warung Bu Tika, Jl Nelayan (from the beach, go north on Jl Nelayan and the restaurant is on the left). Indonesian food, choose buffet-style and pay based on what you took. The staff speak enough English for you to ask what things are. Between the jackfruit, tofu, tempeh, and vegetables, vegetarians should have no trouble, but there's plenty of meat too. Rp 10,000–20,000.
- People's, Jl Batu Bolong No 56C (right in front of Deus), ☏ . 12:00-01:00. Probably the best sushi and tapas in Canggu. Nice selection of cocktails and gorgoous view over the rice paddy. Live jazz band every Saturday. Most mains Rp 25,000-60,000.
- The Beach House, Jl Pura Batu Mejan (at Echo Beach), ☏ . 07:30-00:00. Popular with local expats and visitors. Sunset views and a variety of eating areas. Tables spill out onto a beach side area, live music, seafood barbecues. Most mains Rp 25,000-50,000.
- Cafe Lemongrass, Jl Canggu, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Dine in or takeaway Thai food.
- Sukerti's Garden Restaurant, Jl Pantai Berawa (next to Legong Keraton Hotel), ☏ . 07:00-23:00. A garden restaurant in the Pantai Berawa Area close to the surf spot. Western and Asian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Free WiFi, surfer shower and a garden. From Rp 20,000.
- Old Man's, Jl. Pantai Batu Bolong No.117X, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 16:00-23:00. A seaside gathering place with a beer garden, happy hour, and live music.
- Finns Beach Club, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-23:00. Finns Beach Club is Bali's premium beachfront venue. Featuring 4 pools, 9 bars, 6 restaurants and amazing sunsets.
- The Lawn, Jl. Pura Dalem, ☏ . 12:00-23:00. Opening directly onto the black sanded beach of Canggu, with the soundtrack of the waves rolling in, a beach lounge for guests to share eats and drinks, relax and dance.
- Sand Bar, Pantai Batu Bolong St, ☏ . Small bar on the beach in Canggu.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Under US $50|
|Splurge||Over US $130|
There are a variety of small hotels and bungalow collections in this area. The most prevalent form of travel accommodation though is a seemingly never ending supply of private villas.
Rin the late 2010s, big hotels were being built with more than a hundred rooms each. Many hotels give big discount, including 5, 4 and 3 stars hotels, make 2 stars hotels and below maybe collapse. It is difficult to differentiate between Budget and Mid-range hotel as usual based on stars, so a usual 4 or 3 stars mid-range hotel may be nowadays will be a budget hotel. Canggu is far from Kuta Beach, has many hotels with spacious room and large garden an usually have lower rate than in Kuta, Legian and Seminyak.
The prices are stated below are normal price, except if it stated as discount price.
- e-homestay Canggu, Jl Pantai Pererenan (300 m from Pererenan Beach), ☏ . A home stay with sea and rice field view. 1 minute walk to the surf beach at Pererenan. Minimum stay one week. Rp250,000.
- The Raja Ombak Surfers Resort (Stormrider-Surfcamp Bali), Jl Subak Pangi, Pererenan, ☏ . A surfers resort. Weekly packages include breakfast, accommodation and surf-guiding. Yoga, massages and temple trips can be organised. From US $40.
- 1 Serenity Eco Guesthouse, Jl Nelayan, Br Canggu (on the way to Batu Bolong Beach), ☏ , (WhatsApp), ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. A cute eco-friendly guesthouse with a rustic feel with straw eaves and an outdoor layout. Not especially clean and not especially polished, but that's part of the charm. Yoga and free, healthy hostel-style breakfast. 150 meters from Canggu beach. Rp200,000–500,000.
- Layday Surf Hostel, Jalan Batu Mejan 14B (also known as Jalan Padang Linjong) Banjar Padang Linjong, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. a surf hostel.
- Rumah Wayan (Wayan's House), Jl Pantai Batu Bolong 48X/45 (surf area of Canggu), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 11:00. Tropical house, arranged in a traditional Balinese style of architecture. US $60.
- Creative Boutique Hotel, Jl Nelayan 300 (about 900 m from the beach), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 11:00. A boutique hotel. US $52.
- Legong keraton Beach Hotel, Jl. Pantai Berawa, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. beachfront hotel, tropical garden, modern Balinese resort style From $ 60.
- The Chill House, Jl Kubu Manyar 22, Br Pipitan, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Surf retreat. Weekly packages include meals and accommodation. Surfing lessons, yoga, massages and temple trips can all be added to your package.
- Kos One Hostel Canggu, Jalan Pantai Batu Bolong No. 78, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Desa Seni, Jl Kayu Putih 13, Pantai Berawa, ☏ . Each room in this self-styled "village" is situated in an antique house, with a newly refurbished interior. Saltwater pool, spa, a restaurant with many organic and vegetarian options, and yoga classes twice daily. From US $150.
- Hotel Tugu Bali, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, ☏ . Beach-side hotel with good service and numerous dining and spa options. Contains many Indonesian antiques and beautiful relics. Worth a visit just for the antiques and restaurant. From about US $300.
- The Double View Mansions Bali (DVM), Jl. Babadan No.200, Pererenan (Pantai Lim Pererenan Canggu), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 40 luxury large apartment and penthouse residences ocean view, hotel room service pool and restaurant, gym, spa. 200 mt from the beach. Rp 1,200,000.
- Villa East Indies, Jalan Pura Gede Batur, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 6-bedroom villa with stunning views of rice terraces and extensive collection of Indonesian antiques. From US $425~1225/night.
- Villa Asmara, Cemagi. Balinese architecture with modern facilities. Large swimming pool, games room, shared tennis court, 4 bedrooms. Fully staffed villa ideal for families. From US $450.
- Villa Echo Beach, Jl. Batu Mejan, Gg Echo, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 2, 3 and 4 bedroom private pool villas only 250 m to the beach From US $120.
- Villa Umalas, Jalan Umalas I, Umalas, ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 2-bedroom villa from US $155 per villa per night.
- Ametis Villa, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. From US $475.
- Anyar Estate, Jl Bumbak Dauh, Umalas (off Jl Bumbak), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 5 private villas, 2, 3 or 4 bedroom villas each with its own pool, 24 hr security, concierge, and room service. From US $250.
- Villa Maridadi. 5 bedroom beachfront home between rice fields and the ocean in the traditional village of Cemagi, Fully staffed, 20 m swimming pool, tennis court and games room. From USD 895.
- Komea Villa, Jl. Subak Sari No. 7, Br. Tegal Gundul, Ds. Tibu Beneng, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1-2 bedroom villa, all fitted with private swimming pool, elegant living space and lush tropical landscape. From US $170.
- [dead link] Nilofaur Villa. Large private villa built in 2007. Good location. 17 m swimming pool and fully equipped gym. The Buwit River borders the gardens. 5 bedrooms, private pool and garden. Fully staffed including private cook and maids. US $700-1,000.
- Pure Villa Bali, Jl. Aseman Bagus, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 6-bedroom villa. US$ 1,400 / night.
- Simona Oasis and Spa. 5 bedroom villa with 1,000² m private spa on a spur of land at the confluence of two rivers. Walking distance from the beach. Fully staffed, car and driver included. From US $925.
- Uma Di Beji. Accessed via its own 150 m driveway and bridge. 5 bedroom villa in a secluded rice field location. Various buildings, all with traditional Balinese alang-alang (thatched) roofs, frame the gardens and the large suites of the house. The mature garden and numerous water features lead down to a large lava rock swimming pool. US $850-1,250.
- 2 Villa Avalon Bali, Jl. Pura Kayu Putih, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1, 2, 4 and 7 bedroom villa with private pool. US $225~1450/night.
- Villa Ira Bali (in the Pantai Berawa Estate). 5 bedrooms villa. Sunset views over the Indian Ocean. From US $1,200.
- Villa Kavya (next to the Canggu Club), ☏ . Modern 4 bedroom villa with TV room, pool and lush garden. Comes fully staffed and includes cook and security. US $600.
- Villa Mako. 3 bedroom retreat with swimming pool and large garden. Single-storey villa is neo-colonial in style, similar to the Dutch guesthouses in Java, characterised by louvred shutters, old teak doors and high wooden ceilings built of old timbers. The villa is fully staffed and has a private swimming pool. US $370-490.
- Villa Menari, Jl Brick lane (just off Jl Bumbak), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Private villa in the rice paddies. The villa comes with car, driver and personal chef. From US $400..
- Villa Pangi Gita (turn down Jl Pantai Pererenan, off Jl Raya Canggu). 3 bedroom villa with traditional-style living and sleeping pavilions, tropical gardens and fish ponds. From US $450.
- Villa Puri Bawana, Jl Raya Semer no 883, Semer, ☏ . 5 bedroom villa, with 30 m swimming pool, 7,000² m of gardens surrounded by rice fields and within walking distance of the beach. Guests have access to the sporting and social facilities at the nearby Canggu Club. from US $1,025.
- Villa Sungai Tinggi (beachfront, Jl Pererenan). 4 bedroom villa (with two studies convertible into extra bedrooms), 100 m of private beach frontage, lush tropical landscape and bordering rice fields. Fully staffed, 18 m swimming pool. The villa combines traditional materials with local artifacts. From US $875.
- The bright lights, shopping centres and nightlife of Seminyak are just 25 minutes away.
- The temple of Tanah Lot, famed for its sunsets, and the Nirwana golf course is 20 minutes away by car.