The area around Carmacks has abundant mineral resources, including coal, copper, and gold. Various mining activities are taking place on mineral sites around Carmacks. There is a small zinc-copper mine in production near Carmacks operated by Western Silver and a gold property northwest of Carmacks which is in the exploration stage operated by Northern Freegold Resources based in Whitehorse.
The name of the settlement comes from George Carmack who, in 1891, found coal nearby. He created a trading post and began by engaging in commerce with local people, before opening a coal mine in the south bank of the Yukon River. The focus of his entrepreneurial energy switched a few years later when he or his wife, Kate Carmack, discovered gold, at what was to become the Discovery Claim, near Dawson City.
Carmacks Airport is a small airport 3.5 nautical miles from the village.
Carmacks is on the Yukon River. For those travelling by boat from Whitehorse to Dawson City, it is the last reliable spot to obtain provisions.
- Tage Cho Hudan Interpretive Centre (just north of the Yukon River bridge), ☏ . Mid-May to mid-Sep: daily 9AM-6PM, by appointment in the off-season. A museum that showcases the past and present culture of the Northern Tutchone with many fascinating exhibits. Indoor features include a moose skin boat, a dug-out canoe, a rare collection of stone and bone tools, a beaded slipper collection, and traditional outfits. Outdoors, visitors will find a walking trail through several First Nation outdoor displays. The centre is home to the world's only mammoth snare diorama.
- Every February, Carmacks hosts a checkpoint for the long-distance Yukon Quest sled dog race, and for the Yukon Arctic Ultra foot/ski/bike race.
- Carmacks Recreation Centre, 121 River Drive. M-Sa noon-9PM. Includes a curling rink, gymnasium, and a weight room.
- Carmacks has a swimming pool (next to the Recreation Centre), outdoor rink, playground, golf course, and a boardwalk.
- Tatchun Centre General Store (across the parking lot from Hotel Carmacks). Summer 7AM-11PM, winter 7:30AM-10PM. Groceries, bakery, take-out chicken, hardware, and supplies.
- Gold Panner Restaurant, 35607 North Klondike Highway (across the parking lot from Hotel Carmacks), ☏ . Summer 6AM-9:30PM, winter 7AM-9PM. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Homemade soups, salads, burgers, Bison burgers, halibut steak, wild pacific salmon, or steaks.
- The Coal Mine Campground, Juntion of Klondike Hwy and Robert Campbell Hwy. Burgers, fries, ice cream, beer.
- Gold Dust Lounge, 35607 North Klondike Highway (attached to Hotel Carmacks), ☏ . Daily noon-2AM. Bar with a juke box and occasional live music.
- The Coal Mine Campground, Juntion of Klondike Hwy and Robert Campbell Hwy. Cabins that sleep up to 6 people, tent pitches, showers and laundry. Variable Wi-Fi.
- Hotel Carmacks, 35607 North Klondike Highway, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel rooms, cabins and RV park with 30/50 amp service. RV $40-47, cabin for 4 $95, hotel room for 4 or for 2 with kitchenette $179.
- Carmacks Health Centre, 106 River Drive, ☏ . Nurse on call 24 hours
- RCMP Carmacks Detachment, ☏ . Non-emergency phone +1 867 863-2677