Castletownberehaven is in County Cork.
Castletownberehaven, also known as Castletownbere or Castletown for short. It is located in the middle of the Beara Peninsula. This picturesque town has a population of about 868 (2006 census). It is a chief fishing port in Ireland and consequently fishing is the main economic activity.
From Bantry, head west firstly on the N71 and take a left in Glengariff onto the R572, which will lead directly to Castletownbere. Total distance is about 50 km (31 mi).
The travelling time by car from Cork city is about 2 hours or from Bantry it is about 45 minutes. Cycling to the town is also possible.
Walking is the best if you don't have a car, as the town is small enough and the distances aren't too great. Unfortunately, there are no taxis or bus services in the town.
- 1 Puxley Mansion, Dunboy (West from the town.). An elegant and large manor house previously owned by the Puxley family. Burnt down by the IRA in 1920 and remained in this gutted from fire condition until about 2010 when renovations began to restore it to its former glory. These renovations appear to be halted as of 2015 and the house is surrounded by barricades. Located beside the ruins of Dunboy Castle.
- 2 Dunboy Castle, Dunboy. Now only the ruins remain of this once powerful stronghold of the O'Sullivan Bere clan. It was destroyed in the famous Siege of Dunboy in June 1602.
- 3 Glebe Graveyard, Eskenacartan/Drom North (West of town.). An old Church of Ireland graveyard that hasn't received new burials since the mid 19th century. Some of the gravestones are still legible. At the west wall, there is a mass famine grave from the famine of the 1840s.
- 1 Take a ferry to Bere Island. Early morning to late evening. Get a car ferry from opposite Murphy's SuperValu to Bere Island opposite. There are many things to see on Bere Island, including Martello Towers, a museum and the village of Rerrin.
- Cycling. The town and the surrounding area are great and scenic places to cycle, weather permitting.
- 1 Donegan's Spar, Main St, ☏ . For general purchases and essentials.
- 2 Murphy's SuperValu, Main St, ☏ . For general purchases and essentials.
- 1 The Copper Kettle, Main Square, Castletownbere, ☏ . 10:00-17:00. Pleasant little cafe with hefty portions and excellent home baking on offer. €10-12.
- 2 Olde Bakery. M-Sa 17:30-21:30, Su 12:00-16:30. One of the best restaurants in the town. Good value portions of standard food but seafood dishes are the best on offer. €15-25.
- 1 MacCarthy's Bar, Main St, ☏ . Iconic pub and subject of an eponymous book by Pete McCarthy. Is also a grocery shop. Frequent live music and a snug inside the front door.