Catia La Mar is a city in the state of Vargas. The beaches west of the Caracas airport beginning with Catia La Mar have never been as popular or well maintained as those to the east. While they were relatively unharmed by the mudslides, the area is plagued by pollution and insecurity. Still this is the beach area closest to international airport and it is not without its attractions including airport pickup and cheap hotel rates.
- 1 Castillo Las Salinas. A castle that is quite an eyecatcher but spooky too in its abandoned state. Can only drive by and photograph it.
There are beaches everywhere. These are just a couple of representative ones.
- 1 Playa Candilejas A y B, Calle Real de Playa Verde.
- 2 Playa Marina Grande, ☏ . You have to pay a fee here but it is probably safer than just about anywhere else. Plus umbrellas and food vendors available.
- 1 El Meson del Faro. Restaurant with good seafood choices like paella, and a bar.
- 2 El Caney del Chivo, Av La Marina, ☏ . Seafood by the sea.
- Hotel Catimar, Urbanización Puerto Viejo Av. Ppal., ☏ , fax: . Has an airport shuttle 5 minutes from Caracas airport. US$30-60.
- 1 Venezuela Marriott Hotel Playa Grande, Avenida El Hotel. Playa Grande, ☏ . This is a nice hotel if you're looking for a pool fronting the sea and willing to pay a price for it. Comes with a spa and restaurant and the Marriott brand name too of course. $89.
- 2 Hotel Restaurant Alto Mar, Avenida La Armada, Catia La Mar 1162, ☏ . Hotel with inviting restaurant not far from the sea but also right next to a noisy road.
- 3 Hotel Playa y Brisa, Calle El Pedregal, Maiquetía, ☏ . This hotel with a unique building design and a restaurant is right across from the beach.
- 4 residencia Nautilius, Av La Playa. Pool by the beach.