North America > United States of America > Southwest (United States of America) > New Mexico > Southwest New Mexico > Catron CountyJump to navigation Jump to search
Catron County is a rural county in Southwest New Mexico.
- Alma. is a ghost town with a well-tended cemetery. It was the site of the Alma massacre in 1880, and on that event's centenary a monument to it was erected in the Gila Wilderness.
- Mogollon. is a mining ghost town that is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Elfego Baca Memorial. In Reserve commemorates the Frisco Shootout that occurred on December 1, 1884. Supposedly Baca single-handedly held off eighty attacking cowboys.
- Lightning Field. Is an artistic installation of 400 stainless-steel poles near Quemado, created by Walter de Maria.
- Whitewater Baldy. In the Gila Wilderness is the highest point in Southwestern New Mexico, at 10,895 feet.
- Catwalk National Recreational Trail (in Whitewater Canyon Forest National Recreational Area). is a one-mile trail following the path of an old water pipe used in mining.