Causes-et-Veyran (pronounced cause-A-vair-on) is a small town of 5600 people (2018)?20 km from Beziers (pronounced Bezz-ee-ays), in Hérault department in Southeastern France. The village is in a triangle with other villages of similar sizes, each about six kilometres away. There is a bread shop open in the mornings and one restaurant/bar but the surrounding towns have all amenities.
By car, via the D19 road from Béziers.
By public transport, Hérault Transport operates line 644 from Béziers.
- Notre-Dame-de-la-Purification Church: The parish church of Causses is a former castle chapel. This may explain why it is surrounded by houses. Through the attic of one of them, you reach an old rampart walk. The chancel and apse semicircular of the church date from the end of the 10th century and early 11th century. Side chapel right of the chorus is the 15th century, arched warheads to pellets storied (the four evangelists). To the south, another chapel with a vaulted liernes the 15th century is very beautiful. These two chapels were restored in 1977. The spiral staircase that provides access to the bell tower (old defense tower overlooking the plain to Bézier) is also from the 15th century. One of the bells, the Julie-Marie-Caussette, dates from 1667. It cracked during the ringing on the occasion of the armistice of 1918). The Romanesque nave was rebuilt in the 15th century and has two bays.
- Saint-Sever Priory: in the hamlet of Veyran a priory, example of the first Romanesque art, known as "Lombard". It is characterized here by the opulence of its apse. The apsidal wall, in fact, stiffened by small buttresses, called lesenes, is pierced by a single window with very narrow light. The semicircular apse is decorated with Lombard bands and lava beads (black basalt). The nave is framed. Probably built in the 11th century, the oldest written record we have preserved this priory date of 1156. However, from 922 the mention found a "Molinus of Avairano" Veyran mill. This priory came under the abbey of Cassanuntil the Revolution. The Saint-Sever priory is today a tasting cellar belonging to Mas Gabinèle.
- The Roman towers, 67 m of which separate these pillars of different sizes (6.75 m in circumference for one, 7.42 m for the other). Built of limestone and buried nearly 2 m in the ground, these towers rise 5 m above the ground.