Several buses a day run to Castelbuono and Palermo from outside Cefalù's train station. As with the train, the journey from Palermo is about 1 hour.
During the summer, a few hydrofoils run to Palermo and the Aeolian Islands.
Cefalù is small enough to get around on foot.
- Cathedral (Duomo) dominates the centre of town. It is the site of Byzantine mosaics different from the Norman/Arab ones at Monreale. It's on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Mandralisca Museum with the Ritratto d'ignoto marinaio or Ritratto d'uomo (Portrait of a Man) painting by Antonello da Messina.
- Climb The Rock (La Rocca) for great views of the red-roofed town and beautiful bay area as well as a visit to Diana's Temple (Tempio di Diana). Follow the brown signs to Tempio di Diana from the town's main street. You can get some great views from just half way up, but to reach the top and the ruins of the 4th century Tempio di Diana itself you will probably have to pay €3 at the entrance to the archaeological site. From there, the enormous Salita Sareceno staircase climbs up to the top, passing several other ruins marking the town's former hilltop position before the Norman conquest in 1063.
- Walk 15 minutes East around the headland to the bustling tourist port, full of fishing boats and islets.
- Visit the harbour - Piazza Marina.
- Relax on the beach - one of the best in Sicily. Keep in mind that the beach is divided into different sections, some with umbrellas and beach chairs set up that you can rent. The price, from about €8 to 15, decreases the further you walk along the beach.
There are plenty of local restaurants around the old town.
There are several hotels dotted around town. A room can be found as cheap as €20 for two people in the old town. A tourist map may have its location, but the friendly locals may also be able to point you in the right direction. A four star waterfront hotel is also available on the main street that runs along the beach.
- [dead link]Hotel Al Pescatore, Contrada Calura, 7. 1 km away from the centre, recently restructured, the hotel offers 28 rooms equipped with the best comforts: private bathroom with shower, hairdryer, colour TV, direct telephone and air conditioning.
- Art Hotel Atelier sul Mare, Via Cesare Battisti 4 - Castel di Tusa, ☎ . Original design hotel located on the sea. All the rooms are designed and realized by different artists. Room rates from €120-220.
- Casa Vacanze Cicerone, Via Bagni di Cicerone 21, ☎ .
- The Aeolian Islands are worth at least a day trip.