Originally inhabited by Etruscans and Romans, Cetona developed on a hillside around a fortress, which is still privately owned today. In the 14th Century it was ruled by Siena and Orvieto until 1354, and, after a brief rule by Perugia, was annexed by Siena, which strengthened its fortifications.
By car Cetona is easily accessible by taking the A1 Autostrada from Rome or Florence, leaving at Chiusi. There are also rail connections through Chiusi.
- [formerly dead link] Civic Museum (Museo Civico per la Preistoria del Monte Cetona), Via Roma, 37, ☏ , fax: . Documents the people of the area from the Paleolithic age until the end of the Bronze Age.