Chakwal (Urdu: چکوال), (Punjabi: چکوال) is the capital of Chakwal District, Punjab, Pakistan. It is 90 km south-east of the federal capital, Islamabad, and is named after Chaudhry Chaku Khan, chief of the Mair Minhas tribe from Jammu, who founded it in 1525 CE during the era of the Mughal Emperor, Zaheerudun Babur. It remained a small but central town of the Dhan Chaurasi Taluka for many centuries. In 1881, during the British era, it was declared the Tehsil Headquarters. It was upgraded to district status in 1985. The area of Chakwal city is about 10 km².
Chakwal city has been bestowed by rich culture, history, art and extravagant environment. Once been known as a picnic spot for the Mughal dynasty and the British Lords also holds the record for producing fine men like Colonel Muhammad Khan, Tabish Kamal, India's prime minister Manmohan Sing and many other well reputed people.
The common language of the people of Chakwal is Punjabi. Punjabi of Chakwal is a mixture of Pothohari, Saraiki and Hindi. Since people with different culture fused together, the languages also embraced each other.
Chakwal is mainly an agriculture area. Chakwal is famous for production of international standard oranges, wheat, barley, sugarcane, and many other fruits and vegetables. Many international cement companies have planted their factories around the city whose success versace environmental issues are debatable.
There are four ways to enter main city:
- By motorway through Kallarkahar exit, crossing Bhaun and entering Chakwal in about 25 minutes.
- By Motorway through Chakwal exit, Balkasar interchange crossing Thoa Bahadur and entering city in about 30 minutes.
- By N5 GT road taking Mandra exit before Rawat and following Chakwal road in about 1 hour.
- By N5 GT road taking sohawa exit and following Chakwal road in about 1 hour.
Chakwal is a small city so transport is mostly the Qinqi Rickshaws. They work as local and special transport.
There are about 86 historic places in Chakwal district, some important places are as follows:
- Kallar Kahar Resting in the mountains of the salt range the valley of Kallar Kahar withholds beautiful environment, Dazzling sceneries, Wonderful historic and prehistoric spots and Museums. Kallar Kahar also has Pakistan's first fossil museum but the mainstay of tourist attraction is the Kallar Kahar lake that lies in the heart of the valley. Other attraction spots are Bagh e sufa, Takht e Babri, the famous shrines and other gardens and mountain ranges.
- Katas Raj The castle of Katas Raj and the pond of tears is a very sacred place for Hindu and Sikh community. On top of the castle is World's tallest temple of Shiva and there are 8 Hindu temples and many Sikh temples surrounding the castle.
- Malot Fort Remainings of ancient fort. Also a view point of river Jehlam, river Chanab and Sargodha
- Dams The small dams around the city have become picnic spots for their beauty. Some of the famous dams are:
- Dhok Taalian dam
- Kot Raja dam
- Khokhar zer dam
- Dharabi dam
- Ghazial dam
- Walana dam
- Mial dam
- Nakka dam
- Dhurnal dam
- Grebh dam
- Khai dam
- Minwal dam
- Karah(Bull race) is the most popular source of entertainment in the district
Main Market of Chakwal is Chappar Bazar in the center of the city. You can buy all sorts of food, clothing, accessories and electronics at reasonable price. But without tasting Pehlwan Rewrri your Chakwal trip is incomplete! Present it to your friends as a specialty of Chakwal (Pakistan).
Chakwal's Zarri khussa(footwear) is very famous
- Haji's "daal anda" near Shah Multani, Bhaun road
- BBQ Tonight, Talagang Road
- Emporium's Shawarma, Talagang Road
- Al Qaim Hotel, Tesil chowk(24/7)
- Pizza Time, Bhaun Road
- Unique Broast House, bypass road
- Pizza Hot, Talagang Road
- Tasty haleem center, Chaparr Bazar
- Italian Pizza, Talagang road
- Rahat Bakery, Bhaun Chok
- Pak Continental, Talagang Road
- Al Mecca, Talagang Road
- Rahat restaurant, Jehlam Road
- Pehlwan Hotel; Chicken Pulao, Chaparr Bazar
- Madina Hotel; Haleem, a street of Chaparr Bazar
- hafiz burger house, bhaun chauk chakwal (near askari bank), ☏ . 5PM-midnight.
- Pehlwan Juice House, Chaparr Bazar
- Fazal e rabbi Juice house, Hospital road
- Nisar Hotel's lassi, Talagang road
- Mecca Hotel, Talagang Road
- Azeem International Hotel, Bhaun Chok
- Al Murtaza Hotel, Talagang road