Like New Orleans, Chalmette was damaged severely by the flooding which came with levee failures from Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. While 20% of New Orleans was above the flooding, Chalmette experienced the disaster of 100% flooding. As of early 2012 much of Chalmette is back with many open shops and restaurants, though the work of rebuilding is still an ongoing process.
The largest concentration of businesses and restaurants are along the major streets of Paris Road, St. Bernard Highway, and Judge Perez Drive.
From central New Orleans, drive down Claiborne Avenue, which becomes Judge Perez in the Parish, or Rampart Street/St. Claude Avenue in New Orleans, which becomes St. Bernard Highway in the Parish. From I-10 in Eastern New Orleans, take 510 South which becomes Paris Road.
Drive. If you get off the main thoroghfares, drive with extra attention, as some side streets are still in need of repaving after buckling in the flood.
- Battle of New Orleans site 8606 West St. Bernard Highway, Chalmette. This is where Andrew Jackson stopped the British invasion during the War of 1812. Informative displays explain the battle. Chalmette National Cemetery is adjacent.
- De la Ronde Plantation ruins The remains of the old plantation house that served as British headquarters during their unsuccessful campaign to conquer Louisiana is now on the median of St. Bernard Highway a block up from Paris Road. Not much is left other than sections of ruined brick walls, but worth a quick look for history buffs if you're in the area.
Some of the restaurants in Chalmette, and in the town of Meraux which is adjacent to Chalmette just to the east.
- Armond's Eatery, 808 E. Judge Perez. Southern, local, and seafood. Bar. Mon-Sat, 11a-9PM. tel: 271-2009
- Bubble T 4217 E. Judge Perez A, Mereaux. Bubble teas, smoothies, ice cream. Mon-Sat 10a - 7PM, Sundays Noon - 6PM. tel: 277-6405
- Jeanfrau's, 2324 Paris Road. Half grocery store, half restaurant, serving po-boys and simple local fare. Mon-Sat 8a - 7PM.
- Latte Cafe 3201 E. Judge Perez, Meraux. Coffee beverages & snacks.
- Plantation Bar & Grill 3201 E. Judge Perez, Meraux. Casual lunch & dinner, eat in or curbsite carryout. Closed Sunday. Tel. 324-9801
- Rocky & Carlo's Restaurant & Bar, 613 W. St. Bernard Hwy. A favorite local institution for generations, serving ample portions of po-boys, New Orleans style and Louisiana Italian cooking. Newly renovated, May 2012. Lunch and dinner, tel: 279-8323
- Seafood Hut, 2625 Parish Road. Chinese food, Po-boys, and seafood. 11a - 9PM daily.
- Tony's aka Tony's Po-Boys aka Tony's Seafood Ketch, 434 E Judge Perez Dr. Good seafood, po-boy sandwiches, and Creole-Italian favorites. 9a-8:30p. Tel. 271-5211
- Rocky & Carlo's, listed above
More bars on and around Paris Road at St. Bernard Highway. Community Grill on Judge Perez Drive in Arabi Par 3 Diner - Wednesday's & Saturdays - 16oz T-bone steak special
Telephone area code is 504, same as New Orleans.
- The picturesque Terre-aux-Boeufs region along Bayou Road is to the south-east
- Fishing trips from eastern St. Bernard Parish
- New Orleans is a short drive to the west.