Ballantyne is a sprawling suburb on the southern boundary of Charlotte. Having risen out of farmland 20 years ago, it has been recognized as one of the most successful master-planned communities in the Southeast. Ballantyne is hailed as a center of commerce and thriving residential activity in southern Mecklenburg County. It comprises 2,000 acres of development, but its sphere of influence is much larger. Ballantyne Corporate Park, a 535-acre business community in the heart of Ballantyne, drives economic development and is home to over 300 companies and 15,000 employees. Residents love the countless amenities that the area offers.
As a suburban district, Ballantyne is most conveniently traveled by car. It sits off Exit 61 on I-485, and major thoroughfares include Ballantyne Commons Parkway, Johnston Rd., and Providence Rd. West.
Ballantyne Corporate Park offers 16 miles of walking trails and bike paths. It is easy to access to the greenway now that North Community House Road connects.
- monuments. At the intersection of Johnston Rd. and Ballantyne Commons Pkwy. stand four large monuments. The 30-foot arches are inscribed with esoteric symbolism that relays a history of Charlotte.
- The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, 10000 Ballantyne Commons Pkwy, ☎ . Adjacent to posh Ballantyne Country Club. Features a spa, pool, and golf club. Also, nice details such as babysitting service and shopping-shuttles are offered to guests. The restaurant gets rave reviews. Probably the city's best resort spa, located on the southern edge of town. If you want to create a buzz, ask for a $300 "Ballantini" from the bar; it has gold leaf around the rim and you get a bottle of champagne to boot. $160-400.
- Dana Rader School of Golf. Renowned for its superior quality and host to one of the USA's 50 best golf instructors, Dana Rader Golf School has an unsurpassed reputation in the region. The School is the Carolinas' only Golf Channel Academy.
- Ballantyne Village Theater. Indie Movies
- Ballantyne Village. is the "town center" of the area, and features numerous stores and restaurants.
In addition, there are several major shopping centers within a few minutes' drive of Ballantyne, including Carolina Place Mall and SouthPark Mall.
- Blakeney Village, ☎ . Large outdoor shopping center with numerous restaurants and shops.
- Stonecrest at Piper Glen, ☎ . Shopping center with a Target, Michael's and movie theatre.
- The Arboretum, ☎ . Outdoor shopping center at the north entrance of Ballantyne that features numerous restaurants and shops.
- Cajun Yard Dog, 8036 Providence Rd., ☎ . In the large Arboretum shopping center near I-485 in south Charlotte. Though this is somewhat less authentic than Charlotte's other offerings, it is also a bit more affordable. Plenty of other options in the area if the line is long.
- Jade Sushi Bar, Ballantyne Village Shopping Center, 14815 John J. Delaney Dr., ☎ . Asian fusion.
- Villa Antonio Ristorante, Ballantyne Village Shopping Center, 14825 John J Delaney Dr., ☎ . Upscale Italian with romantic ambience.
- Village Bistro, Ballantyne Village Shopping Center, 14815 John J. Delaney Dr., ☎ . Chic restaurant with an extremely wide array of menu options.
- Wolfman Pizza, 10620 Providence Rd., ☎ . Gourmet pizza has made this small chain very successful in Charlotte -- so much that their pizza can be found on local grocery shelves. Recommended for the discriminating pizza consumer.
- Big View Diner.
- Bangkok Ocha, Carmel Commons Shopping Center, 7629-B Pineville-Matthews Rd, ☎ . Has been open since the 1990s and operated by the same family. The difference from other Thai restaurants is the ingredients as they use fresh ingredients and cooks each order individually. Lunch special includes tea, soup of the day, spring roll and meal for $7.95 on all orders. If the item you are looking for is not on the menu that particular day they will gladly make the meal for $1 extra.
- Blue Taj, 14815 Ballantyne Village Way #170, ☎ , e-mail: info@TheBlueTaj.com. 10AM-8PM. Indian cuisine.
- Fox and Hound.
- The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge includes one of the city's most prominent and expensive hotels. See details above.
- Staybridge Suites Charlotte-Ballantyne, 15735 Brixham Hill Ave., ☎ , toll-free: . This all-suite hotel is great for extended stay or short term hotel needs. Rooms feature kitchens and spacious living and work areas.
- Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, 15635 Don Lochman Ln, ☎ . The hotel was upgraded and features a comfortable and stylish layout with an open lobby feel.
- Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, 13139 Ballantyne Corporate Place, ☎ , toll-free: . Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne is the area's only LEED-certified hotel and exudes a fun energy with its loft-inspired design. The hotel also offers a hip W xyz bar, which locals enjoy visiting for drink specials and live entertainment.
Ballantyne has a thriving community feel, and many newcomers find the area appealing and welcoming. Ballantyne Breakfast Club meets bimonthly to discuss area issues and opportunities.
- Calvary Church, 5801 Matthews Rd, Pineville, ☎ . Large non-denominational church in south Charlotte, probably the city's largest single congregation. Stadium-style building is one of the largest structures in the southern part of the city.