Ballantyne is a sprawling suburb on the southern boundary of Charlotte. Having risen out of farmland 20 years ago, it has been recognized as one of the most successful master-planned communities in the Southeast. Ballantyne is hailed as a center of commerce and thriving residential activity in southern Mecklenburg County. It comprises 2,000 acres of development, but its sphere of influence is much larger. Ballantyne Corporate Park, a 535-acre business community in the heart of Ballantyne, drives economic development and is home to over 300 companies and 15,000 employees. Residents love the countless amenities that the area offers.
As a suburban district, Ballantyne is most conveniently traveled by car. It sits off Exit 61 on I-485, and major thoroughfares include Ballantyne Commons Parkway, Johnston Rd., and Providence Rd. West.
Ballantyne Corporate Park offers 16 miles of walking trails and bike paths. It is easy to access to the greenway now that North Community House Road connects.
- 1 monuments. At the intersection of Johnston Rd. and Ballantyne Commons Pkwy. stand four large monuments. The 30-foot arches are inscribed with esoteric symbolism that relays a history of Charlotte.
- 1 The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge, 10000 Ballantyne Commons Pkwy, ☏ . Adjacent to posh Ballantyne Country Club. Features a spa, pool, and golf club. Also, nice details such as babysitting service and shopping-shuttles are offered to guests. The restaurant gets rave reviews. Probably the city's best resort spa, located on the southern edge of town. If you want to create a buzz, ask for a $300 "Ballantini" from the bar; it has gold leaf around the rim and you get a bottle of champagne to boot. $160-400.
- 1 Ballantyne Village, 14825 Ballantyne Village Way , Suite 240-19. is the "town center" of the area, and features numerous stores and restaurants.
In addition, there are several major shopping centers within a few minutes' drive of Ballantyne, including Carolina Place Mall and SouthPark Mall.
- 2 Blakeney Village, 9870 Rea Road. Large outdoor shopping center with numerous restaurants and shops.
- 3 Stonecrest at Piper Glen, 7900 Rea Rd, ☏ . Shopping center with a Target, Michael's and movie theatre.
- 4 The Arboretum, 8008 Providence Rd, ☏ . Outdoor shopping center at the north entrance of Ballantyne that features numerous restaurants and shops.
- 1 Cajun Yard Dog, 8036 Providence Rd., ☏ . In the large Arboretum shopping center near I-485 in south Charlotte. Though this is somewhat less authentic than Charlotte's other offerings, it is also a bit more affordable. Plenty of other options in the area if the line is long.
- 2 Jade Sushi Bar, Ballantyne Village Shopping Center, 14815 John J. Delaney Dr., ☏ . Asian fusion.
- 3 Big View Diner, 16637 Lancaster Highway, ☏ .
- 4 Blue Taj, 14815 Ballantyne Village Way #170, ☏ , info@TheBlueTaj.com. 10AM-8PM. Indian cuisine.
- The Ballantyne Hotel & Lodge includes one of the city's most prominent and expensive hotels. See details above.
- 1 Staybridge Suites Charlotte-Ballantyne, 15735 Brixham Hill Ave., ☏ , toll-free: . This all-suite hotel is great for extended stay or short term hotel needs. Rooms feature kitchens and spacious living and work areas.
- 2 Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Ballantyne, 15635 Don Lochman Ln, ☏ . The hotel was upgraded and features a comfortable and stylish layout with an open lobby feel.
- 3 Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne, 13139 Ballantyne Corporate Place, ☏ , toll-free: . Aloft Charlotte Ballantyne is the area's only LEED-certified hotel and exudes a fun energy with its loft-inspired design. The hotel also offers a hip W xyz bar, which locals enjoy visiting for drink specials and live entertainment.
Ballantyne has a thriving community feel, and many newcomers find the area appealing and welcoming. Ballantyne Breakfast Club meets bimonthly to discuss area issues and opportunities.
- 1 Calvary Church, 5801 Matthews Rd, Pineville, ☏ . Large non-denominational church in south Charlotte, probably the city's largest single congregation. Stadium-style building is one of the largest structures in the southern part of the city.