Chilgok County (칠곡군) is a county of 117,000 people (2019) in North Gyeongsang. It was an important part of the country's defenses in the Joseon Dynasty and the Korean War.
It borders with Gunwi-gun and Daegu to the east, and the west it is bordered by Seongju-gun and Gimcheon-si, Daegu for south, and Gumi for the west. The total area is 451 km², occupying 2% of the area of Gyeongsangbuk-do, and the administrative district consists of 3 towns and 5 villages.
By public transit
- 1 Gasansanseong Mountain Fortress, 98-1 Gasan-ri, Gasan-myeon, ☏ . The impressive castle was built during the Joseon Dynasty. It takes 2 hours to walk up the mountain from where you park.
- Dabudong War Memorial Museum, 1486 Hoguk-ro, Gasan-myeon, ☏ . Daily 09:00-18:00. The museum shows how life was for the soldiers on the frontlines during the Korean War.
- 2 Songjeong Recreational Forest, 88 Bangye 3-gil, Seokjeog-eup, ☏ . A camping and picnic spot. Nice views of the mountains and forests though there is not much to do.
- 3 Chilgok Patriots & Peace Memorial, Seokjeog-eup 1580, ☏ . Korean War museum focusing on the battles and incidents near the Nakdong river. Most of the exhibits are in Korean some of the major ones are also in English. ₩3,000.
- 1 Gasansanseong Camping Site, 1034 Hanti-ro, Dongmyeong-myeon, ☏ . The site has plenty of shade, making it a suitable camping spot in the warmer months. Barbecue areas are available.
- 2 Chilgokbo Auto-camping Site, 110-43 Gangbyeonseo-ro, Yakmok-myeon, ☏ . A budget campsite that gets quite cold at night.