Cholpon Ata is a summer resort on the northern shore of Lake Issyk Kul. In summer it is quite crowded, full of wealthy Kazakhs, Russian and a few locals.
Taxi from Bishkek (3-4 hours, 1500 som per car, September 2009), marshrutka from Bishkek (6 hours, 250 soms per person, September 2009)
In Tamchi, 15 km to the east is small airport serving for tourists in summer
Old petroglyphs, highest peaks of this part of Tian-Shan
There are several ATMs in Cholpon Ata but most only take VISA. For MasterCard head to the bank located opposite UniCredit bank, by the eastern bus stop (going to Karakol).
- Sambucca Cafe. Nice restaurant with live music in the summer (note there may be a 50 som charge for the music) located on the left side of the main road heading to Karakol, almost opposite Zodiac. Try the great "Jarovnya" - meat on a hot iron plate. Mains 200-300 som.
- Asian place. At the end of Gorky, on the left side. The Chinese chef serves up great lakhman and shashlyk as well as other local specialties. Very popular. Mains 150-200 som.
- Green Pub. Green decored pub in the city centre with heavy wooden tables.
- Pegasus Guesthouse, Sovetskaya 81 (On the main road between the bus stations). Friendly but reserved host who specialises in horse tours. Rooms are comfortable with outside toilet and shower. Great meals. 500 som per night
- Tri Korony (Три Короны). A mid-range resort a little from the city centre. Friendly hotel with 60 rooms at low quality with products from China. Run down pool, but great beach and descent prices with full board. Double 3500 som.