Chucuito is a city on the western shore of Lake Titicaca south of Puno.
Find a collectivo near Parador mercado a few blocks from bus terminal. Wait for it to fill up. S/1.5 (soles).
- Visit the Inca site first (also referred to as a Temple of Fertility). It may look more like a model mushroom farm, but they will hand you a decent map of the town and its attractions. Entry S/5.
- Walk some 200-300 meters uphill from the main square and cross under the power lines. Here you have a nice view of the town, the lake and the surroundings. Look further up: there is a big white cross on the cliff somewhat to the left. That's where the real views are!
Plenty of eateries, particularly close to the main square. Set lunches and lake fish specialties.
A good handful of simple hostels around.
- Titilaka, ☏ . A high-end hotel with modern architecture on the shores of Lake Titicaca at the Chuquito Peninsula, perfectly mingling with the landscape, featuring two types of lake-view suites: "dusk" and "dawn". The modern refuge provides travelers with a rich authentic experience on the lake.
- 1 Posada Santa Barbara, Jirón Glorietta 115. Small lodge with nice rooms, furnished in a very unique Italian-Peruvian style. Nice views to the Lake Titicaca from the whole property. The hosts Samuel and Martha are very dedicated to make their guests fell well. In the evening they open a little restaurant offering good Italian cuisine.
- Hostal Puerta de Aramu Muru, ☏ . A nice little hotel run by Gilda, a nurse who lives in Chucuito and works in Puno. Lovely rooms, consistent and very hot water, secure parking. Located a few steps from the central plaza. About 15USD (March 2019).
Buses and vans on the main road between Puno and the Bolivian border can be hailed any time. For a more comfortable seat, vans to Puno depart from the main square as soon as they fill up, S/1.5.