Zhudong, or Chutung, or Jhudong, or Judong or is located near Hsinchu City and is way out in the sticks. It's quite a dingy run-down place...but has a nice view of the mountains and a friendly Taiwanese feel. Apartments are much cheaper in this city as opposed to the Science Park or Hsinchu City. Apartments are almost half the price in this smaller township.
The township is connected to the TRA network and is accessible via the following stations:
- 1 Ronghua station (榮華車站).
- 2 Shangyuan station (上員車站).
- 3 Zhudong station (竹東車站).
- 4 Zhuzhong station (竹中車站).
History and culture
- 1 Shang Ping Old Street (上坪老街). A street of old brick buildings in a village at the southern end of the township.
- Hwei Chang Temple (惠昌宮). The San Shan Kuo Wan Temple, means the Temple worship three kings from mountain. The Temple was established by HAKKA cultivators on 1810. Mr. Pon Chin Ho rebuilt it on 1821. At the same year, the Dan Shwei Governor(Northern Taiwan), Mr. Lee gave the Temple an honorable name "Kins of Justice". After few years, Mr. Pon Tian Lai and the other twelve members utilize wooden constructional to renew the Temple on 1917. The temple's name was changed to Hwei Chang Koon on 1920, means the Kings has bestowed us so much favor. After so many years past by, the Temple ruined seriously, therefore the local people rebuilt it on 1971. At this time, they used the concrete and steel, and made the Temple so strong and splendid until now.
Museums and galleries
- 1 Zhudong Animation and Comic Creative Park (竹東動漫園區).
- 2 Zhudong Timber Industry Exhibition Hall (竹東林業展示館). 09:00-17:00. A museum focused on the timber industry in the area.
Sports and nature