Cieszyn is a medieval town in Silesian Voivodeship, Poland. It is one of the principal border crossing points between Poland and Czech Republic. The town on the other side of the river Olza (which forms the border between the two countries) is called Český Těšín. Both towns were Cieszyn until they were divided by a Versailles Treaty change in borders in 1920.
Bus services depart Kraków and Katowice regularly from the main bus stations in those cities. The 1 Cieszyn bus station is located a bit north of the old town. Right next to it is the 2 Cieszyn railway station. If arriving from Czech Republic or Slovakia, it is best to get a train to Český Těšín and walk across the bridge.
The centre is close to transportation hubs and small enough to be covered on foot.
- Old Town Square (Rynek) with bourgeoisie houses and Town Hall (Ratusz)
- 1 Cieszyn Castle, Zamkowa 3. Su-F: 9:00—17:00. Closed on Sa. Remnants: Piast Castle Tower, Gothic St. Mary Magdalene Church, Romanesque St. Nicholas' Chapel (11th century rotunda)
- Jewish cemeteries
- 2 Museum of Cieszyn Silesia, ul. Tadeusza Regera 6. In the former Larisch palace (Pałac Laryszów, Muzeum Śląska Cieszyńskiego). The oldest continuously working museum in Poland, opened in 1802. 16 PLN.
- 3 Museum of Typography (Muzeum Drukarstwa), ul. Głęboka 50, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tue-Fri 10-17, from may-september also on Sat-Sun 14-18. 10 PLN incl. tour.
- 4 Rotunda of Saint Nicholas, Zamkowa. A Romanesque rotunda built in the 12th century. It used to be a castle chapel and a stronghold church. This rotunda is also the one that can be seen on the 20 zł banknotes.
- 1 Polish Theatre (Teatr im. Adama Mickiewicza), Plac Teatralny 1, ☏ .
- 2 Czech Theatre, Ostravská 1326/67, 737 01 Český Těšín, ☏ .
- Easter Murzin - brown bread pastry with ham and bacon inside.
- Brackie and other beers brewed locally in the Castle Brewery.
- 1 Browar Zamkowy Cieszyn, ul. Dojazdowa 2, ☏ . Opened in 19th century and still brewing using classic methods despite being part of huge Heineken/Żywiec group.
- 3 Bros’ Hostel, ul. Mennicza 14 (across from Bożnicza str), ☏ .
- Two campings: IOT Styl and OLZA; several hotels and private rooms.
- Bielsko-Biala - 40 km. to the north is the center for accessing nearby ski-sport towns
- Ski-sport towns, such as Szczyrk, Wisła, Ustroń and Żywiec
- Ostrava, Czech Republic - The third largest city in the Czech Republic and the centre of the second largest urban agglomeration after Prague.