The West Side of Cincinnati is a district historically inhabited by blue collar workers, whereas the East Side has been home generally to white collar workers.
Neighborhoods in Western Cincinnati include:
- Price Hill is one of Cincinnati’s oldest neighborhoods, first settled in 1789 and named Price Hill in the 1870s after General Rees Price. An incline opened by Price and his sons brought many wealthy residents to the top of the hill, and the grand mansions they built still stand today. The community’s history is preserved at the Price Hill Historical Society on Warsaw Avenue, and the neighborhood is home to the first Skyline Chili parlor, the upscale Primavista Restaurant, the 120-year-old Crow’s Nest Tavern, the Gothic-style St. Lawrence Church, and the popular Blue Note Café, which features live music every night of the week.
Some independent cities in western Hamilton County include:
- Cheviot. Tiny city close to Cincinnati, popular destination for bar-goers.
- Cleves. Small village close to Cincinnati. Home of Harrison's Tomb historical site and also host to the annual Gravelrama event.
- 1 Mt. Echo, 381 Elberon Ave (Price Hill). Mt. Echo is famous for its stellar view of downtown Cincinnati. The band Over-the-Rhine's "Ohio" album cover was shot from this park.
- 2 Mt Airy Forest Preserve (Mt. Airy). Largest park in the city at around 1,500 acres giving the place a very natural feel. Plenty of hiking trails and even a disc golf course.
- 3 Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum, 4521 Spring Grove Ave. This sprawling cemetery dates back over 160 years, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2007. The unique layout, designed by Adolph Strauch, makes it feel less like a cemetery and more like a park that just happens to have people buried in it. The arboretum features many National Champion trees. To find the graves of the many famous people buried here, stop by the office on your way in for a free map.
- 4 William Henry Harrison Memorial, 41 Cliff Rd, North Bend, OH 45052. 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM. William Henry Harrison Memorial is a small park with a tall monument containing Harrison's tomb. William Henry Harrison was the ninth and shortest serving president. Free.
- 1 Mount St. Joseph University, 5701 Delhi Rd, ☏ . Private Catholic college in Cincinnati's western suburb of Delhi. Known for its education majors. Also notable as the school of Lauren Hill, whose quest to play college basketball despite suffering from what proved to be a fatal brain tumor inspired the nation in late 2014.
- 1 Primavista, 810 Matson Pl (Price Hill, Incline District), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 5:30-9:30PM, F 5:30-10PM, Sa 5-10:30PM, Su 5-9PM. Where the food is as captivating as the view of Downtown Cincinnati, Primavista specializes in fresh fish and veal dishes & also offering seafood, steaks, lamb, poultry, and pasta. $6-30.
- 2 Price Hill Chili, 4920 Glenway Ave (Price Hill), ☏ . M-Th 6AM-11PM, F Sa 6AM-2AM, Su 7AM-3PM. Price Hill Chili has been a landmark for the past 45 years, serving up Cincinnati favorites to West Side regulars. Cincinnati chili and stacked double-deckers are what Price Hill Chili is all about. This is a place politicians visit when in town for photo ops. The menu includes specialty dinners and salads. Another place to get the elusive Cincinnati-only German sausage specialty Goetta. under $10.
- 3 Empress Chili, 8340 Vine St. Founded in 1922 by two brothers from Greece. Empress is named after the burlesque theater that used to be next door. It has been suggested that the Empress Chili concept was copied by other chili restaurants. Empress Chili consistently wins taste tests of Cincinnati's chili chains.
- 4 Century Inn Restaurant and Tavern, 10675 Springfield Pike (Woodlawn), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Food M–Th 11AM-10PM, F Sa 11AM-11PM, Su noon–10PM. Bar M–Sa 11AM–1AM, Su noon-midnight. Restaurant, with associated bar open longer hours. Opened in 1806, this used to be a stop on the main road north out of Cincinnati to rest and change horses. Entrees $10.
- 1 The Pike Bar and Grill, 10010 Springfield Pike, ☏ . Food: M Tu 11AM–9PM, Th 11AM–10PM, F Sa noon–11PM, Su noon–8PM; daily noon–2:30AM. Dive bar vibe, local haunt, cheap, has karaoke. Pub food. Burgers $8.
- 2 Holy Trinity-St Nicholas Greek Church, 7000 Winton Rd, ☏ . Holy Trinity-St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church is the oldest parish on record in Ohio.