Clara is a town in County Offaly, Ireland. It is the 10th largest town in the midlands of Ireland. The town has a population of 3001 (2006 census), however a number of well populated housing estates lie outside the town boundary making the actual population higher. Clara has plenty of local services including churches, banks, credit union, schools, supermarkets, shops, garages, pubs, nightclubs and restaurants. It has its own Garda(police) and fire station while the Midlands regional hospital is located just seven miles away in Tullamore.
Clara railway station is on the Dublin to Galway/Westport line.
Main roads from Tullamore, Kilbeggan and Athlone. M6 motorway 10km away.
- Clara Bog. Two kilometres from the town centre lies one of the candidates being considered for inclusion as a UNESCO heritage site: Clara Bog . Clara bog contains very rare and unusual flora and is considered a very special raised bog and nature reserve. A Clara bog visitor centre is located beside the towns library. A bog boardwalk (Accessible from Ballinough, off Tullamore road) is very popular with local walkers, but is virtually unknown to visitors. The board walk allows walkers to safely cross the surface of the bog.
- Swim. The town has two swimming pools.
- Golf. The town has a successful pitch and putt club.
- Clara Library and Bog Visitor Centre. Offers an insight into one of the few remaining relatively intact raised bogs just outside Clara.
- John Rooney Racing. Local betting shop.
- MACE. For groceries.
- Centre. Food and groceries.
- Dillons Footwear. Shoes
- Peter Dunican. Pub
- The Mill. Bar
- Nigel's Place. Pub
- M.H. White. Pub
- J.J. Galvin. Pub
- M. Carey. Pub
- Doc's. Pub
- Jimmy Molloy. Sports Bar
- Thomas C. Dolan. Lounge and Off Licence