The town was founded in 1864 when the residents of the 5th ward of Rahway city decided to break away to establish the city. They named it after Abraham Clark, one of the signatories to the Declaration of Independence. What used to be a predominantly agricultural area till the middle of the twentieth century enjoyed a housing boom after 1949 when the Garden State Parkway cut through this town.
The town is not a tourist attraction by any stretch. If you are visiting, you're probably here on business.
The closest airport is the Newark Liberty International Airport. As this is one of the busiest airports in the country, you should not have any trouble reaching there.
Clark lies on Exit 135 of the Garden State Parkway.
The nearest railroad station is Garwood on the Raritan valley line, which goes both to the Newark Penn station and the New York Penn station.
The city may be small, but it is not small enough to be covered on foot. You can rent a car from Rahway. If you plan to walk it, some places away from the shopping areas can be lonely at night.
- Dr. Wm. Robinson Plantation Museum (Robinson Plantation House), 593 Madison Hill Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open every 3rd Sunday, 12 - 4 PM, from March - June and September - December. Private tours and school tours available by appointment. From the website: "Listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places, the Dr. William Robinson plantation is a rare example of late 17th century frame construction."
Central Avenue is the shopping area.
- Thailand Restaurant, 291 Central Ave, ☎ . Try the Red panang curry in coconut milk (Vegetarian version available). When the chirpy waitress warns you that the spicy version might be too much for you, it is to be taken as friendly advice, not as a challenge to prove her wrong. Settle for the medium version. $7-$9 for the main course.
- Tarantella's Ristorante, 1199 Raritan Road, ☎ . Italian joint. Also has a bar.
- Main Moon Chinese Restaurant, 1129 Raritan Road, ☎ . Ordinary Chinese takeout with okay food at reasonable prices. $3 for the main course.
- White Diamond Restaurant, 1207 Raritan Road, ☎ .
- Molly Maguires, 1085 Central Avenue, ☎ . Irish pub and restaurant. The place is crowded in the evenings with yuppies.
- Crowne Plaza, 36 Valley Road, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Clark NJ 07066. (+1-877-227-6963 for reservations) . Pretty much the only hotel in Clark. $85-100.
|Routes through Clark|
|Newark ← Cranford ←||N S||→ Woodbridge → Cape May|