Cobb Island is a small island and neighborhood at the end of the Cobb Neck in Southern Maryland. It is small, less than 1 sq mi (2.4 sq km) and has a population of about 900 people (2020).
Cobb Island lies at the southern end of the Cobb Neck in Charles County, Maryland. It is at the end of a dead-end two-lane road, Route 254. To get to Cobb Island, take Route 301 to Route 257 South. Then take a right turn at Route 254 South. Follow Route 254 over the small bridge to its end. You have reached Cobb Island. Cobb Island is not served by bus, train, or ferry service.
Cobb Island is a small community. It is easily walkable. Most of the island is residential housing.
The town of Cobb Island lies both on the island, and on Cobb Neck. The town is bisected by Neale Sound. Cobb Island is very scenic. There are still a number of watermen working out of Cobb Island, and their boats, along with a number of pleasure craft, can be seen tied up on Neale Sound.
Cobb Island is basically a lunch or dinner destination from other parts of Southern Maryland or the Northern Neck of Virginia. There are no notable historical sites or landmarks in Cobb Island. There are several good sea food restaurants in town.
- 1 Swan Point Yacht and Country Club, 14985 Persimmon Ct, Issue, ☏ +1 301 259-0047. Daily 9AM-5PM. A private 18-hole golf course that is open to the public. Located just north of Cobb Island.
- Cobb Island Day Festival (All over the island). Takes place in mid-June. Crab races, food, fun and sun. Live music.
- 1 Cobb Island Public Market, 17005 Cobb Island Rd (Across bridge on the right), ☏ +1 301 288-1069. M-Sa 7:30AM-9PM, Su 10AM-6PM. Small grocery store and ice cream parlor.
- 2 The Cove At Cobb Island, 17031 Cobb Island Rd (across bridge on right), ☏ +1 240 233-3318. F 5PM-9:30PM, Sa Su 8AM-2PM, closed M-Th. Small gallery/coffee shop. Free WiFi access.
Eat and drink
- 1 Captain John's Crab House and Marina, 16215 Cobb Island Rd, Newburgh (on Neale Sound, on the right), ☏ +1 301 259-2315. M-Th 11:30AM-8PM, F 11:30AM-9PM, Sa 11AM-9PM, Su 11AM-8PM. Local institution. Always packed. Seafood, salad bar. Tables overlooking the Sound. moderate.
- 2 Captain Charles Seafood House, 16320 Cobb Island Rd, Newburgh (on Neale Sound, on the left), ☏ +1 301 259-0300. M-Sa 11AM-2AM, Su 7AM-2AM. Seafood restaurant. moderate.
There are no hotels or motels in Cobb Island. There are some vacation rentals available by the week (check your favorite vacation rental web site). The nearest motels are on US 301, about 15 miles away. There are chain motels in La Plata, north on US 301 and in Dahlgren, south on US 301 across the Harry Nice Bridge.
- Drive across the Harry Nice bridge (toll) and visit the Northern Neck of Virginia
- Visit Christ Church-William and Mary Parish in Wayside, about 10 miles (16 km) north of Cobb Island. Established in 1692, this is one of the oldest Episcopal churches in the United States.
- Take a walking tour of Cobb Island.