Cobb Island lies at the southern end of the Cobb Neck in Charles County, Maryland. It is at the end of a dead end two lane road, MD 254. To get to Cobb Island, take MD 257 South off of US 301 at Newburg Maryland. Keep driving until you reach MD 254. Follow MD 254 to the end. You have reached Cobb Island. Cobb Island is not served by bus, train, or ferry service.
Cobb Island is a small community. It is easily walkable. Most of the island is residential housing.
The town of Cobb Island lies both on the island, and on Cobb Neck. The town is bisected by Neale Sound. Cobb Island is very scenic. There are still a number of watermen working out of Cobb Island, and their boats, along with a number of pleasure craft, can be seen tied up on Neale Sound.
Cobb Island is basically a lunch or dinner destination from other parts of Southern Maryland or the Northern Neck of Virginia. There are no notable historical sites or landmarks in Cobb Island. There are several good sea food restaurants in town. There is a private, but open to the public, 18-hole golf course at Swan Point, just north of Cobb Island. .
- Cobb Island Day Festival (All over the island). Takes place in mid June. Crab races, food, fun and sun. Live music.
- Cobb Island Market and Ice Cream Parlor, Rt. 254 (Across bridge on the right), ☏ . Open 7 days. Small grocery store and ice cream parlor
- Cobb Island Gallery and Coffee Shop (Across bridge on right), ☏ . Small gallery/coffee shop. Free WiFi access.
Eat and drink
- Captain John's Crab House and Marina, 16215 Cobb Island Rd. (on Neale Sound, on the right), ☏ . open 7 days for lunch and dinner. Local institution. Always packed. Seafood, salad bar. Tables overlooking the Sound. moderate.
- Shymansky's Dockside, 16320 Cobb Island Rd. (on Neale Sound, on the left), ☏ . Tu-Su. Seafood restaurant. Sunday breakfast buffet 8AM-noon. Rockfish, fresh local steamed crabs and oysters, crab cakes. Better crab cakes than Capt. John's. moderate.
There are no hotels or motels in Cobb Island. There are some vacation rentals available by the week (check your favorite vacation rental web site). The nearest motels are on US 301, about 15 miles away. There are chain motels in La Plata, north on US 301 and in Dahlgren, south on US 301 across the Harry Nice Bridge.
- Drive across the Harry Nice bridge (toll) and visit the Northern Neck of Virginia
- Visit Christ Church-William and Mary Parish in Wayside, about 10 miles (16 km) north of Cobb Island. Established in 1692, this is one of the oldest Episcopal churches in the United States.
- Take a walking tour of Cobb Island.