Colditz is situated in the state of Saxony about 40 km southeast of the city of Leipzig in the valley of the Zwickauer Mulde shortly before its merge with the Freiberger Mulde.
Since public transport is scarce, Colditz is best reached by car via B 107 (Grimma - Rochlitz) or B 176 (Bad Lausick–Hartha) roads.
Busses connect with trains at Grimma, but do not exspect many of them during the day, esp. not at weekends.
The Muldental-Radweg (Mulde Valley cycling path) passes through Colditz, it is a 13.5 km ride from Rochlitz, 15 km from Leisnig, 17 km from Grimma, 25 km from Penig, 32 km from Döbeln, 37 km from Wurzen, 47 km from Glauchau, 52 km from Nossen, 64 km from Zwickau, 75 km from Freiberg. From Leipzig you may cycle along the Parthe-Mulde-Radroute via Grimma (73 km; the direct route is just 44 km but not as nice to cycle).
Colditz is small enough to walk.
- 1 Colditz Castle. Huge, 1000-year-old hilltop castle displaying artifacts from its famed role as a WWII POW camp. Widely unknown among Germans, it is surprisingly popular with visitors from the United Kingdom. Originating from the 11th century, the castle was completely redesigned and rebuilt in Renaissance style around 1500. The famous painter Lucas Cranach senior worked here. Saxon monarchs used it as a hunting château. During the 19th century it was converted into a labour camp and later a mental institution. The Nazis used it as a concentration camp for political enemies and then, during World War 2, as a prisoners-of-war camp named Oflag IV C, mostly holding high-ranking Allied officers under relatively humane conditions. The predominantly well-educated inmates took unusually far-reaching liberties, organising sports competitions and cultural performances, and undertook dozens of sometimes highly creative escape attempts (some of them successful). They even built an airworthy glider. Their experiences were popularised by the British post-war film The Colditz Story and the 1970s BBC series Colditz.
- Historical market square (Marktplatz).
- Kohlbachtal, Geithainer Str., 04680. Nature Preserve.
- 2 Podelwitz Castle (Wasserschloss Podelwitz) (5 km northeast of the town core and Colditz Castle). Renaissance castle on the riverbank.
- Istanbul Bistro & Pizzeria, Am Ring 2a, 04680, ☏ . Takeout.
- DJH Jugendherberge Schloss Colditz, Schloßgasse 1, 04680, ☏ . Hostel.
- 1 Waldhaus Colditz, Lausicker Str. 60, ☏ .