A bus from Caracas to El Junquito takes about two hours or more depending on traffic, winding along a congested road that passes through some of Caracas' less pleasant suburbs. On weekends, congestion will be heavy. In El Junquito you will have to change buses to go to Colonia Tovar, which takes about another hour passing through generally remarkable countryside, winding curves, sweeping hillsides and precipices.
You can follow the above route to El Junquito and then on to Colonia; those living in Caracas do so in order to visit the El Junquito town although a much more attractive (albeit less direct) route is to go via the town of La Victoria, which itself is about an hour from Caracas along the main highway. This narrow, windy road up to Colonia passes through majestic hills with picturesque views of Aragua's valleys. It takes over an hour up. Many use this route to return to Caracas.
Most of Colonia Tovar is reachable on foot. Parking is limited, so it's advisable to park on arrival and then wander the streets freely. Some restaurants and hotels, however, are on the edge of the town and you may prefer to drive to these, especially in the cold of evening.
The Museum, the Catholic Church, the Beer Factory (4 hour detour), the rolling hillsides, the cultivations, the arts and craft.
Overnight. Enjoy the restaurants and bars. Meet the folk or do quiet meditation. During the day, study the German architecture; listen to the folklore songs and the history of the village. For the more athletic, you can go walking, trekking or paragliding (the latter is kilometers away).
Variety of Venezuelan handicraft, pottery, etc. Also German style skirts and shawls, shoes, belts, leather articles. In the food line, there is a variety of natural handmade jellies and jams, sweets, trifles as well as fresh vegetables, fruits, beverages. To add, flowers, religious articles, new age music.
- Paragliding Colonia Tovar (Parapente Colonia Tovar), Colonia Tovar via La Victoria, ☏ . 10AM-6PM. Paragliding tandem flights with experienced pilots. US$60.
- Apple strudel
- German sausages
- Fresh strawberries
- Plenty of other fresh fruit and vegetables
- Good German salads
- Chicken and meat dishes of local and international cuisine.
- You can get vegetarian meals as well.
- Locally brewed beer
- Good brandy, wine and whisky.
- Hot chocolate.
- Strawberry and other fruit juices.
- Posada Don Elicio, ☏ . In La Ballesta sector. One of the best posadas in Colonia, offering individual chalets or suites each with their own outdoor terrace. Only by reservation.
- Hotel Selva Negra, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. At the bottom of the town. One of the oldest hotels in Colonia, and built in true Alpine style. Very good rooms, including some chalets, and an excellent restaurant.
- Hotel Bergland, Sector El Calvario, vía La Victoria, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 15 rooms and 4 private cabins that sleep up to 4 people.
The approach to Colonia Tovar from La Victoria is much more scenic than the road from Caracas and El Junquito. Paragliding is practised on the hills in this area.