Situated in the central part of the Budzhak steppe on the Yalpug river, Comrat is the capital and the largest city of the autonomous area of Gagauzia. There are many wineries around the city.
In 2014, Comrat's population was 20,000, of which the vast majority were Gagauzians.
Food production is very developed in the city. Comrat is a home for food processing factories, alcohol production, and an oil processing plant (the first and only one in Moldova). There is also a ferro-concrete factory, furniture productions, wood processing, production of plastic windows and doors, cattle butcheries, and transport companies.
Comrat is found in the southern wine zone of Moldova. It is known for production of red wine and muscat. In Comrat and its suburbs there are about 10 wineries.
Settlement of Comrat began in 1789, and it received town privileges in 1957. During the time when the town was part of Moldavian SSR, Comrat's industry was geared toward the production of butter, wine, and rugs, the latter adorned with Moldavian motifs. The Comrat State University was established in 2002.
Comrat has a train station, though it's in the village of Bugeac about 7 km to the north.
- 1 Cathedral of Saint John Baptist. An attractive yellow and gold cathedral built in 1820. Free entry.
- 2 Museum of Local History (Muzeul Regional de Istorie şi Studiere), Strada Lenin 162. 10:00-17:00. Two floors of artefacts from the region, quite interesting Entry 10 lei, use of camera additional 15 lei.
- Museum of Gagauz Culture (located in the suburb of Beşalma).
- Gagauzian Art Gallery.
- Turkish library by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.
- 3 Alley of Gagauzian Glory.
- Memorial dedicated to defenders of Comrat. sculptor: Dubinovskiy
- 4 Monument dedicated to troops suffered in Afghanistan. sculptor: Afanasiy Dmitrievich Karacoban
- Monument of Vladimir Lenin.
- Monument of military tank.
- 5 Monument to victims of Stalinist repressions.
In Comrat there are the supermarkets "Fourchette" and "Linella" as well as the "Comrat City" mall. You can also buy daily goods at the central market square and the market square in Bugeac. There's a new shopping mall under construction next to the central square.
- 1 Vodolei, Strada Lenin 276a.
- 2 Andy's Pizza, Strada Lenin 172a. Pizza restaurant of a national chain also serving other foods and drinks.
- 1 Vinuri de Comrat, Strada Vinzavodscaia 1. Winery with tasting and shop.
- Aur-Vin — is a Moldovan wine producer that is part of the Moldovan wine producer Dionis Club.
- 1 Altin Palace, Strada Vladimir Lenin 204E, ☏ . Ask a room in the new block, which are eclectically varied
- 2 Hotel Astoria, Alexander Pushkin St 34a, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Medelean, Strada Victoriei 127a, ☏ .