Conques is on the traditional Le Puy pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. It's a village of 1563 inhabitants (2020) located in Aveyron in a beautiful setting surrounded by mountains and forests. It's one of the most beautiful historic village in France. In the middle age, the village was an important sanctuary. During your trip, you will discover real treasures such as the Romanesque abbey church or even a real Medieval treasure. The picturesque alleys and half-timbered houses will delight you.
- Abbey of Sainte-Foy (Abbatiale Sainte-Foy de Conques). This Benedictine abbey was founded in the 8th century by the hermit Dadon. It is qualified as pilgrimages church. Since 1998, the abbey is registered as UNESCO world heritage. The interior is famous for its windows painted by Pierre Soulage. If you spend the night in Conques, don't miss to do a night tour on upper-galeries accompanied by organ music
- The Tympanus of the Tympanus of the last judgement. Above the main door of the church, you will find The tympanus of the last judgement with its 1244 characters which represent the heaven and hell. Like the abbey, the tympanus is iluminated at night. A great visual experience awaits you.
- the treasury of conques (museum). In this museum all statues are made with gold, silver and precious stones. The main treasure is the "statue saint Foy "also called "Majesty". It's one of five greatest medieval goldsmiths work in Europe. The museum proposes a combined entrance with the museum " Joseph Fau" (6,50€/aduld - 2,50 €/child)
Visit the Abbey-Church of Saint-Foy, the main attraction here.
Beside the Le Puy pilgrimage route, there are several nice walks in the surroundings; in less than an hour, you can reach the cross opposite to the village.
To go into the details, you can choose to do guided tours around the city. Each takes around 45 minutes.
Before leaving Conques, you have the possibility to go up at "the site of bancarel". It's a hike during 20 minutes. You will understand how the village was built around the church.
No supermarket, only some small grocery stores, not often open, even in summer. In winter, the village is virtually dead, so be sure to bring enough food with you.
Close to Conques (less than a kilometer), the restaurant Hervé Busset is awarded one star by the famous "Guide Michelin" and nature is honored.
Au parvis ( restaurant, bar, creperie, ice cream). You can eat in a restaurant with panoramic view on the tympanus for 9€. It offers you a regional cuisine and salads from 9€
Or else, with a panoramic view over the valley, and a family atmosphere, you have a restaurant " chez Deny" which proposes you simply cuisine and fresh products .
Conques doesn't have an unlimited choice of accommodations but we can book for low prices without difficulty.
- Vacantion house. You have the possibility to sleep in a youth hotel from 12€ per night. Groups and individuals are welcome. The half-board costs 19€ and 9€ for breakfast.
- Guest house Called " Au castellou", It's located at 300 meters of the abbey which family room and meals which costs 30€
- "Saint Jacques". In this 2 stas hotel you can sleep for 30 € with wifi and TV in the bedroom but also a confortable environment in front of the abbey and a gastronomic Table.
There is no 3G/4G connection in the town and its surroundings (only "edge"). However, some cafés offer Wi-Fi connection, e.g., L'Auberge Saint-Jacques.