The ridge of the Andean mountain range can be reached from the city within approx. 1 hour.
Flora and fauna
Dry season, ideal for visit, is from April to October.
- Condortrekkers organizes two day all-inclusive tours to Cordillera de los Frailes
- Trucks to Potolo leave Sucre at 10:00 from Parada Ravelo. It is recommended to be there at 09:00 as they may leave earlier if full.
Fees and permits
You may be charged:
- Bs 25 for entering the land
- Bs 10 for camino pre-Hispanico
- Bs 20 for seeing dinosaur footprints
Hiking is the main option. IGM map has accurate contours, rivers and town names, but you should not trust them for any paths. openstreetmap is incomplete, but paths marked there are correct.
- 1 Chapel at Chataquila.
- Camino pre-Hispanico (also known as Inca trail) starting from 1 nearby Chataquila, going eastwards (2 , 3 ) to Chaunaca (approx. 4.5km). An alternative route via Pumamachay and Incamachay is possible, with 1500-2500 year old paintings at the sites.
- In 1 Potolo, the largest village, showcases of weaving techniques are to be seen.
- Maragua crater, where also weaving can be seen (in Maragua and Irupampa).
- 2 Dinosaur footprints. close to Humaca
- 3 Garganta del Diablo. - a cavern behind a 40-m waterfall
- Maragua and Chaunaca have a basic grocery store
- You will be offered hand-made woven bracelets many times
- You may be offered to buy food (e.g. eggs) from local communities
- You should bring all the food for the trip with you (and additional supplies for extra day, in case your trip gets extended)
- You should be able to filter/sterilize water.
- Camping is the main option. You may be asked Bs 20 if you camp within a village
- It is possible to spend a night in the school in Maragua
- The main language spoken in the area is Quechua, but kids usually speak decent Spanish.
- Children will be asking for presents. You may bring pens or fruits for them, but avoid giving them sweets, as these could damage the kids´ teeth.
- There should be daily connection from Potolo back to Sucre in the morning.