Culemborg is a historic town in the Gelderland region of the Netherlands. The city is just south of the river Lek and thereby on the border between Gelderland and Utrecht. The city counts roughly 27,500 inhabitants. The cities of Utrecht and 's-Hertogenbosch can easily be reached by train.
- 1 Culemborg Station. Connects the city with Utrecht and Tiel. Trains on this line service the Culemborg station every fifteen minutes. Travel to Culemborg from Amersfoort and Schiphol both cost around €10.
When travelling to Culemborg by car, head for either Utrecht or 's-Hertogenbosch - whichever one is closer. Use the A2/E25 to head for the other city. Half-way down the highway you will find exit 13 (Culemborg), where you should follow the signs directing you to Culemborg.
Bike rental is available in the centre of the town and is the best way to get around the city. But a bike is not necessary, you can see and reach everything easily by foot.
Culemborg is an historical city, and got it's city rights in 1315. There are two churches on the main square, also known as 'the market'.
- 1 Holy Barbarachurch, Markt 50, NL-4101 BZ Culemborg.
- 2 Culemborg Castle Gardens, Voorburg 1, NL-4101 Culemborg. Gardens of the former 'Kasteel Culemborg'.
- 3 Korenmolen de Hoop, Het Jach 3, NL-4101 Culemborg, ☏ .
- 4 Fort Everdingen (Everdingen Castle), Noodweg 2, NL-4121 KK Everdingen, ☏ . Fort Everdingen is one of the many forts and castles that make up the "Nieuwe Hollandse Waterlinie". It is named after the nearby town of Everdingen.
- 5 Elisabeth Orphanage Museum, Herenstraat 29, Culemborg. 12:00-17:00 (Fridays to Sundays). A museum in the large former Elisabeth Orphanage, built in 1560 with donated money by the Countess of Culemborg. A look into the history of this town.
- 6 Lanxmeer Inner Gate (Lanxmeerpoort of Binnenpoort). The last remaining inner gate and a beautiful entrance to the market square.
- Gelredag Culemborg: 26–27 November 2016. Two-day event at which the local history of Guelders is highlighted. Centre of the event is the Elisabeth Orphanage Museum (Herenstraat 29). (date needs updating)
There are several good restaurants around the Market in the center of the city. In the Tollenstraat and the surrounding streets are also many good restaurants.
- 1 Andermaal, Havendijk 6, NL-4101 AB Culemborg, ☏ .
- 2 Op de Haven, Helling 7, NL-4101 AE Culemborg, ☏ .
- 3 Knossos, Herenstraat 44, NL-4101 BV Culemborg, ☏ . Greek restaurant.
- 4 Stadscafé De Verleiding, Tollenstraat 26, NL-4101 BE Culemborg.
- 5 Het Kasteeltje, Markt 30, NL-4101 BX Culemborg, ☏ .
- 6 De Poortwachter, Everwijnstraat 27, NL-4101 CE Culemborg, ☏ .
- 1 Café Den Tollesteghe, Tollenstraat 20, NL-4101 BE Culemborg, ☏ .
- 2 Café de Mart, Markt 31, NL-4101 BW Culemborg, ☏ .
- 3 Club Rodenburg, Homburg 26, NL-4153 BS Beesd, ☏ . Quality nightclub in the nearby town of Beesd
- 4 Event Center Culemborg (Happy Dayzz), Beesdseweg 1A, 4104 AW Culemborg.
- 1 B&B de Appelgaard, Beusichemsedijk 12, NL-4101 NV Culemborg, ☏ .
- 2 Jo & El Bed & Breakfast, Meerkikkerstraat 7, 4105 SC Culemborg, ☏ .
- 3 Boerderij de Zalm, Pothuizerweg 19, NL-3998 NB Schalkwijk, ☏ . €68.
- 4 't VeerHuys, Veerweg 7, NL-4112 PC Beusichem, ☏ . Hotel located right on the banks of the river Lek, next to the Beusichem Ferry €85.
From Culemborg, the provinces of South-Holland and Utrecht are a hop away. The nearest city is Nieuwegein (Utrecht), from which the city of Utrecht is close. Another nearby location in Utrecht is Wijk bij Duurstede, which is most known for its countless invasions by vikings. When staying within Gelderland, consider going to nearby Tiel or Zaltbommel. Larger cities in the area are 's-Hertogenbosch and Oss (North-Brabant) and Nijmegen (Gelderland).
|Routes through Culemborg|
|Amsterdam ← Utrecht ←||N S||→ 's-Hertogenbosch → Maastricht|
|Utrecht ← Houten ←||N S||→ Geldermalsen → Tiel|