Lüshunkou District (旅顺口, Lǚshùnkǒu) is in Dalian. It includes the historic port city of Lüshun, formerly known as Port Arthur.
The main bus routes from central Dalian to Lüshunkou are bus routes 2002 and 2003, both of which originate from the Dalian Railway Station in Zhongshan District. Bus route 2003 takes a northerly route, while bus route 2002 takes a southerly route.
- 1 Lüshun Bus Station (旅顺汽车站), 27 Jiu San Road (九三路27号). This station serves local buses from central Dalian, and long-distance coaches from other cities.
The Dalian Metro has five stations in Lüshunkou District. All are on Line 12. They include Huangnichuan, Longwangtang, Tahewan, Lüshun, Tieshan, and Lüshun New Port - the terminus of Line 12.
- 2 Lüshun Metro Station (旅顺地铁站). Not to be confused with the Lüshun Railway Station, this metro station is the closest one to the historic city of Lüshun. Nonetheless, it's still relatively remote, so it's probably best to transfer to a bus or taxi upon your arrival.
Lüshun Railway Station is no longer in use. Passenger train services on the Dalian-Lüshun line ceased in 2014.
- 3 Lüshun West Station (旅顺西站), 1020 Haiyun Road (海韵路1020号). This is the ferry terminal for the Bohai Train Ferry, which operates between Yantai and Lüshun. There are four train ferries daily from Yantai. The journey time is about 7 hours.
Museums and historical sites
- 1 Dianyan Battery (电岩炮台, Dianyan Fort), Huangjin Street (黄金街) (near the Lüshun Submarine Museum; take bus no. 13 from the Baiyun Tunnel (白云隧道) bus stop, which you can find at the eastern end of the Tunnel and about 240 metres from the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 07:00-17:00. The fort was built during the late Qing Dynasty using cannons imported from Germany. It was substantially upgraded during the Russian occupation and used against the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese War. Today the Dianyan Battery site is administered by the Lüshun Submarine Museum. Japanese visitors may need to be wary of visiting the site. Foreigners are not allowed in as of May 2019. A sign near the entrance - written in Chinese and Japanese - advises that "Japanese people who do not acknowledge the history of the invasion of China are not permitted to enter". ¥15.
- 2 Japanese and Russian Prison Site Museum (日俄监狱旧址博物馆), 139 Xiangyang Street (向阳街139号) (Take bus no. 7, 203 or 204 from the Lüshun Metro Station or bus no. 3, 4 or 205 from the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. May 1-Oct 10: 09:00-16:00; Oct 11-Apr 30: 09:00-15:30, closed on Mondays and on the eve of Chinese New Year. Free.
- 3 Kwantung Courthouse Museum (旅顺日本关东法院旧址陈列馆), 33 Bei Yi Lane, Huanghe Road (黄河路北一巷33号) (about 600 m east of the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ . 08ː00-16ː00. It was built by the Russians in 1902 as the headquarters for an engineer battalion. The building was converted into a courthouse by Japan's Kwantung Army in 1906 and continued to be used as a courthouse right up till the end of the Second World War. The courthouse is now a museum. ¥15.
- 4 Lüshun Museum (旅顺博物馆), 42 Liening Street (列宁街42号) (take bus no. 10 from the Lüshun Metro Station or bus no. 1 from the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ (bookings), (office), ✉ email@example.com. April-October: 09:00-16:30, November-March: 09:00-16:00, no entry in last 30 minutes, closed on Mondays. Free.
- 5 Lüshun Railway Station (旅顺火车站), 8 Jinggang Street (井岗街8号) (take bus no. 10 from the Lüshun Metro Station or bus no. 18 or 19 from the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ . Built by the Russians between 1900 and 1903 as part of what was then known as the Chinese Eastern Railway. The station is noteworthy for its Russian architectural style. Passenger rail services ceased in 2014, but the station remains open to visitors. Free.
- 6 Lüshun Submarine Museum (大连旅顺潜艇博物馆), 966 Huangjin Street (黄金街966号) (take bus no. 13 from the Baiyun Tunnel (白云隧道) bus stop, which you can find at the eastern end of the Tunnel and about 240 m from the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-18:00. ¥210.
- 7 Wanzhong Grave Memorial Hall (万忠墓纪念馆), 23 Jiu San Road (九三路23号) (within walking distance of the Lüshun Bus Station; to get here from the Lüshun Metro Station, take bus no. 32, 82 or 210), ☏ . Summer: 08:30-16:30, Winter: 09:00-16:00, closed on Tuesdays. The Wanzhong Grave is a mass grave containing the remains of thousands of Chinese soldiers and civilians who were killed by Japanese forces during the infamous Port Arthur Massacre of 1894. The memorial hall at the grave displays photographs and artefacts pertaining to the massacre. Free.
Parks and nature
- 8 Baiyu Mountain Scenic Area (白玉山景区, Baiyushan Scenic Area, Baiyu Hill Scenic Area), 158 Baiyushan Street (白玉山街158号 (the area is within walking distance of the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ , . Summer: 06:00-18:00, Winter: 08:00-17:00. This small mountain (130 metres above sea level), is said to offer good views of the Lüshun Military Port. A memorial tower stands at the peak of the mountain. The memorial tower was built by the Japanese to commemorate their victory in the Russo-Japanese War. It now stands as a reminder of the Japanese invasion. Entry is free. The cable car costs ¥15 each way.
- 9 Laotie Mountain (老铁山, Laotie HIll) (Take a train to the Tieshan Metro Station. From there, either walk 1.5km or take bus no. 217 to the Tieshan Transport Hub (铁山枢纽站) and transfer to bus no. 216. Get off at the final stop (Chenjia Village 陈家村站). The ticket office is about 10 minutes walk from the bus stop. Bus no. 216 only runs about 8 times a day, so it may be easier to catch a taxi), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. 08:00-18:00. This small mountain and the surrounding area constitute the largest part of the Snake Island & Laotie Mountain National Nature Reserve (蛇岛老铁山国家级自然保护区). Besides, natural scenery, the area also features an old lighthouse, which was built in France and erected here by the British in 1893. As of 2018, however, the lighthouse is not open to the public and can only be viewed from the outside. ¥25.
- 10 Longwangtang Cherry Blossom Park (龙王塘樱花园), Lüshun Road South (旅顺南路) (Take a train to Longwangtang Metro Station on Line 12 or take bus. 2002 and get off at the Longwangtang bus stop), ☏ , , . 08:00-18:00. Best visited during cherry blossom season (around April and May). The 3,000 cherry trees were planted by Japanese colonists in the 1920s after the completion of the Long Wangtang Water Dam. The Art Nouveau-style dam itself is another interest to visit. ¥20.
- 11 Snake Island (蛇岛, Shedao Island) (boats to Snake Island depart from Dongtuo Fishing Port 董砣子渔港, which can be reached via bus no. 217. Bus 217 may be caught from the Tieshan Transport Hub (铁山枢纽站), which is about 1.5km east of the Tieshan Metro Station (and accessible from the station via bus no. 18); you could catch bus no. 19 from the Lüshun Bus Station and transfer to bus 217 at the Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine (中医院)), ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Access permitted only during the months of January, February, March, July, August and September. Administered as part of the Snake Island & Laotie Mountain National Nature Reserve (蛇岛老铁山国家级自然保护区), the island is home to a unique species of pit viper known as the Shedao Island Pit Viper (or Gloydius Shedaoensis). There are said to be around 20,000 of these vipers on the island. Visitors must be accompanied by a tour guide. ¥120 (including boat fare).
- 12 Snake Island & Laotie Mountain Natural History Museum (蛇岛老铁山自然博物馆), 2 Youyi Road (友谊路2号) (about 1 km west of the Lushun Museum; if coming from the Lushun Bus Station, take bus no. 17, 18, or 19 and get off at the Youyi Road bus stop), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Summerː 08ː00-16ː30, Winterː 08ː00-16ː00. A museum about the flora and fauna of the Snake Island & Laotie Mountain Nature Reserve. Free.
- 13 Yinggeshi Botanical Garden (英歌石植物园), Lüshun Middle Road, Yinggeshi Village, Longwangtang Sub-district, Dalian Hi-Tech Zone (大连市高新园区龙王塘街道英歌石村旅顺中路) (take bus no. 260 from either the Lüshun Bus Station or the Lüshun Metro Station), ☏ . Mar 15-Nov 15: 07:30-17:30, closed during the rest of the year. For most of the year, the entry fee is ¥30. But expect to pay ¥60 from April 15th to June 15th and also between September 20th and October 10th. The fare for the sightseeing car is ¥20.
- 14 Hengshan North Putuo Cultural Theme Park (横山北普陀主题文化公园, 横山寺森林公园, Hengshan Temple Forest Park), 1 Xiangtan Road, Dashidong Village, Longwangtang Sub-district, Dalian High-Tech Zone (大连高新园区龙王塘街道大石洞村祥坛路1号) (Take the 2002 Hengshan Temple Special Bus (2002路横山寺加车) from the Dalian Railway Station. There are 3 buses per day, departing at 06:40, 10:00 and 14:00. You can also catch this bus from the Longwangtang Metro Station. Return buses depart at 08:20, 12:40 and 15:40), ☏ . 06:00-18:00. The centrepiece of this Buddhist theme park is the reconstructed Hengshan Temple (横山寺), which claims to be the largest Buddhist temple in China north of the Yangtze River. Entry is free but car park users must pay ¥10 for small vehicles or ¥20 for large vehicles.
- 1 Laotie Mountain Hot Spring (老铁山温泉), 703 Zhongmu Road, Yinjia Village, Tieshan Sub-district (铁山街道尹家村中牧路703号) (take a train to the Tieshan Metro Station; from there, either walk 1.5 km or take bus no. 217 to the Tieshan Transport Hub (铁山枢纽站) and transfer to bus no. 215; get off at Yinjia Village (尹家村站)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-22:30. ¥128.
- 2 Lüshun Kaishi Hot Spring Resort (旅顺开世温泉度假酒店), 1 Xingcheng Street, Beihai Sub-district (北海街道兴城街1号) (take bus no. 230 or 231 from either the Lüshun Bus Station or the Lüshun Metro Station. Get off at Lijiagou (李家沟); the hot spring resort is about 1.4 km south-southwest of the bus stop), ☏ . 09:00-22:00. Adults ¥198. Children under 1.4 metres in height can enter for free.
- 1 Jinyuwan Hotel (金玉湾宾馆), 14 Guanghui Street (光辉街14号) (About 1.3km south of the Lüshun Bus Station), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. From ¥270.
- 2 7 Days Premium (Dalian Lüshun Zhongxin Square New Mart) (7天优品酒店(大连旅顺中心广场新玛特店)), 63 Huanghe Road (黄河路63号) (About 900 metres south of the Lüshun Bus Station.), ☏ . Check-in: 14ː00, check-out: 12ː00. This hotel opened in 2016. It is now one of the most popular hotels in the district. From ¥126.