Damyang (담양) is a county in South Jeolla.
Damyang has beautiful bamboo forests and wide plains. During the Joseon Dynasty, many pavilions were built to enjoy the landscapes, and poems and epics were written in the buildings. These activities were described as pungryu, which means literally "flow of wind." Jeong Cheol (1536 - 1594), a Korean poet and politician stayed and studied during his youth, and wrote his early epic, Seongsan Byeolgok in this town.
- 1 Damyang Passenger Bus Terminal (담양공용버스터미널), 24-1, Jungang-ro, Damyang-eup. You can take a non-stop bus for this terminal in Seoul Express Bus Terminal.
- You can take a bus for U-Square also known as Gwangju Bus Terminal in Seoul Express Bus Terminal, and transfer to a bus for this terminal.
In Damyang, buses don't run frequently, so taking a bus is not good choice for travelers.
You can see many taxies waiting for passengers in front of the bus terminal. Knowing a taxi driver's cell phone number or a call taxi agency's telephone number is useful. When you call a taxi driver, you don't need to know the address where you are, but you should know the name of a place where you are. Like other regions in Korea, drivers aren't likely to understand English.
- 1 Korea Bamboo Museum (한국대나무박물관), 35 Jukhyangmunhwa-ro, Damyang-eup, ☏ . 09:00-18:00.
- 2 [formerly dead link] Korea Gasa Literature Collection (한국가사문학관), 877, Gasamunhang-ro, Nam-myeon, ☏ , fax: . 09:00-17:00 (Nov-Feb), 09:00-19:00 (May-Oct), 09:00-18:00 (other seasons).
- Dambit Art Storage (담빛예술창고), 75, Gaeksa 7-gil, Damyang-eup, ☏ . This gallery was renovated from an old grain storage. You can see and buy art works created by young artists in Jeolla. A cafe is connected to this place, and you can listen to music played on a pipe organ made from bamboo here.
- 3 Myeonangjeong Pavilion (면앙정), 382-11 Myeonangjeong-ro, Bongsan-myeon, ☏ . Free of charge.
- 4 Sigyeongjeong Pavilion (식영정), San 75-1, Jigok-ri, Nam-myeon, ☏ .
- Songganjeong Pavilion (송강정), 232, Songgangjeong-ro, Goseo-myeon, ☏ .
- 5 Sangwoljeong Pavilion (상월정), 142-1, Yongun-gil, Changpyeong-myeon.
- Gwaneojeong Pavilion (관어정), 171-4 Nasan-ri, Subuk-myeon.
- Doksujeong Pavilion (독수정), 33, Doksujeong-gil, Nam-myeon.
- 6 Soswaewon Garden (소쇄원), 17, Soswaewon-gil, Nam-myeon, ☏ . Passing through a bamboo forest, you can see water in the valley flowing below the wall. Crossing the valley, you can look around pavilions there.
- Myeongokhean Garden (명옥헌), 103, Husan-gil, Goseo-myeon, ☏ . It has a pavilion and artificial pond. Zinnia trees surrounding the pond are famous.
- Damyang Hot Spring (담양온천, 담양 리조트 온천), 202, Geumseongsanseong-gil, Geumseong-myeon, ☏ . 06:30-21:00. Adult ₩9,000 / Child ₩7,000.
- Damyang Resort Hotel (담양 리조트 호텔), 202, Geumseongsanseong-gil, Geumseong-myeon, ☏ .
- Gwangju - the nearest city