Dangringa is a funky Garifuna town in Stann Creek, Belize. It looks a bit rough around the edges, but is home to some of the friendliest people you're likely to meet. If exploring Belize in any depth you're likely to come through here at least once en route to the south or to the southern cayes... spend a night if you've got the time.
- 1 Dangriga Airport (DGA IATA Pelican Beach Airstrip). The small airport is served by Maya Island Air and Tropic Air several times daily, with flights heading north to Belize City and beyond, and south to Placencia and on to Punta Gorda.
Boats depart from the main dock across from the River Front Cafe to just about anywhere you're willing to pay to go, or with frequent service to Tobacco Caye, etc.
Central Dangriga is small and walkable, but you may want to grab a taxi (BZ$10 (Belizean dollars)) if you're headed to or from the airport or the north end of town.
- Visit Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary. Buses leave every two hours or so from Dangriga to the Mayan centre (40 mins). Bus at 5.30am and 7.45am at the bus station. Getting a guide at the Mayan Centre will be difficult in low season. Try to arrange one from Dangriga. Guide recommended for finding wildlife and safety. Julio can take you up to the head quarters from the bus stop. His house is second on the row at the Mayan Centre. Look for the taxi writing on his house. Lodging and camping possible at park headquarters. Bags can be dropped at HQ also if you plan to continue on to Punto Gorda by bus.
- Riverside cafe. Simple menu. Stays open in low season.
- Chaleanor Hotel (South of North Stann Creek bridge). Excellent small but well presented hotel 5 minutes walk from the centre. Economic (Double BZ$36 Sept 2010) and standard rooms (approx BZ$100) available and a rooftop terrace for relaxing.
- Jungle Huts, 4 Ecumenical Dr. (2 blocks upriver from the main bridge(south side)), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Nice clean, Quiet local hotel, within walking distance of downtown and the market. Restaurant on side, but in low season only on request. Owner Phil is very friendly, as is the other crew. Very welcoming setting. Wifi available, no computers. US$31 & up.