Dapoli is famous for its Agricultural College.
Natural beauty of Konkan has lured many people from the literary world. Dapoli served as backdrop of famous Marathi novel Garambicha Bappu by Shri Na. Pendse. Shyamchi aai by Sane Guruji too describes Dapoli.
With pristine beaches, historical temples, caves and forts scattered around, Dapoli has something to offer everyone. Popularity of Dapoli is increasing these days with many tourists from Mumbai and Pune visiting it as weekend destination.
The simplest way to get in is by road. Dapoli is 240 km from Mumbai along NH-17 (Mumbai-Goa) & 180 km from Pune.
Maharashtra State Transport buses ply to Dapoli daily from major cities in Konkan and Western Maharahstra such as Mumbai, Pune and Kolhapur. A lot of private transport companies have started their private luxury bus service from Mumbai and Pune.
The nearest train station is Khed, 40 km away from Dapoli.
Nearest airport is Ratnagiri, around 100 km away.
ST Buses are omnipresent but may not be convenient. Most preferable way to get around is by your private vehicle.
- 1 Ade. Visit the ancient temple of Shree Parshuram. You can also take a stroll on the clean and calm beach.
- 2 Anjarle. A few kilometres away from Dapoli is the beach of Anjarle. Ganapati of Hill (Kadyawarcha) In Aanjarle village on the seashore the temple built on huge mountain is known as 'Ganapati of Kadyawar'. After crossing the Jog river creek, there is Aanjarle village. In earlier times there were two temples in the sea, one Temple of Aanjarleshwar & other of Ganapati. They got drowned in the sea, later on Ganapati temple was built on a high mountain. The temple must be of Madhavrao Peshve period. There are 250 steps to it. There is a lake in front of it. It has a big hall & a stone staircase. There is water fountain in the hall, There is a dome, are & many pillars in the temple. The place is cool & pleasant in Dapoli Taluka with seashore & forest.
- 3 Asud. Ancient Keshavraj and Vyaghreshwar temples in the midst of scenic hills.
- 4 Harnai Beach. South of old Harnai fort, the palm-fringed beach of Murud is famous for its clean white sands and crystal clear safe waters. Visit the Goa Killa or Harnai fort which is built in different levels. Don't miss the fish auction in the evenings.
- 5 Karde. Has a pristine beach and few resorts
- 6 Kelshi. Further north from Anjarle, near the border of Raigad district, is another small town known as Kelshi. This village is frequented by pilgrims who come to the Mahalaxmi Temple here, built during the rule of the Peshwa dynasty. Other than the Mahalaxmi Temple, there are other temples here dedicated to Rasha Krishna, Beleshwar and Ganesha, to name a few. Just outside of the village is a lovely beach, which stretches for 2½ km and the sunset is said to be spectacular from this beach.
- 7 Khem Padmavati, Satere Tarf Haweli,Post agar Vaigani, Dapoli (23 kilometres away from Dapoli & 8 Kilometres from Dabhol Beach). Khem Padmavati Devi Temple famous in Dabhol Panchkrochi. From Dapoli Satere Tarf Haweli S.T. facility is available.
- 8 Ladghar. The beach here called Tamas Teertha is has religious background and many people come here to bathe in the sea water. The sunset here is unforgettable.
- 9 Murud. Dhondo Keshav karve who started the movement for the women came from this village. There is an ancient temple of Goddess Durgadevi which is on a wooden pillar. There are 28 carved wooden pillars in it. In front of the temple there is 'Appasaheb Smarak'. Also, these is a statue of Maharshi Karve. The Ganapati in lake is also a peculiar feature of Murud. During the summer, when there is less water in the lake, the devotees can visit the Ganapati idol. Accommodation facilities are available in the hotels.
- 10 Panhalekaji. Ancient, rock cut caves believed to be more than a thousand years old are a treat to architecture lovers. Hindu and Buddhist sculptures cover the walls. There are around 29 caves here which are located on the banks of the “Kotjai” river.
- 11 Suvarnadurg. Suvarnadurg the island fortress off the coast of Harnai was a fort built by Shivaji to counter the Siddi. Ths fort was later used by Shivaji to counter the Europeans and was a base for the Maratha navy's ship building facility. The town of Harishareshwar, known for its tranquil and picturesque beach is also landmarked by the Kalbhairav Shiva Temple. If you are adventurous enough take a small boat to the North side of the bay, you can see where the Peshwas or Prime Ministers of the Maratha Kingdom resided. Also see the Peshwa Smarak and visit the Bankot Fort at Bagmandala, approximately 4 km away.
- 12 Unhavare. Situated amidst a picturesque valley, you can bathe in these natural hot springs. The water has medicinal value and can cure some skin diseases.
- Boating through backwaters.
- Cave exploring.
- Dolphin watch.
- Sunset especially at Tamasteertha beach at Ladghar.
- Swimming in the Arabian Sea.
- Trek in the nearby jungles.
- Visit local home and be a part of their daily life.
- Amba, Phanas Poli (Sundried Mango, Jackfruit Delicacy)
- Kokam Syrup (Agal)
- Kuleeth Peeth
- Talalele Gare (Jackfruit chips)
- Seafood — fish, prawns, oysters, crabs
- Snacks — Kanda Bhaji, Wada Pav, Misal
- Veg — Solkadhi-Rice, Modak, Kulith Pithale, local vegetables
- Aryawarta, Jaalgaon, ☎ . Variety of dishes with lots of Konkan specials on the menu. All meals are buffet style.
A few restaurants specialized in serving non-vegetarian preparations are as below:
- Jagdish Lunch Home, ☎ .
- Sonali Lunch Home, ☎ .
- Kokam, Awala, Mango, Karvand Sarbat
- Tender Coconut Water
- asach, ☎ .
- Aryawarta, Brahmanwadi, Dapoli, Ratnagiri – 415 712, ☎ . Independent bungalows from 2 bedrooms to 6 bedrooms, well maintained, clean and have all basic amenities. Their package include all meals of the day (vegetarian, but provide non-veg on demand). Very good quality food. Great place for family or group get together.
- Captain House, ☎ . Restaurant & lodge
- Kisan Bhavan, ☎ . Guest house of Konkan Krishi Vidyapeet
- 1 Hotel Jagdish Residency, At Post Gimhavane, Next to BP petrol pump (Dapoli-Harnai road, adjacent to Konkan Krishi Vidhyapeeth’s Agricultural Campus), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 10 Am, check-out: 9:30 Am. 14 air-conditioned rooms under Deluxe, Executive & Maharaja suite. Banquet hall for hosting conferences & events.
- Hotel Jayant Padmaja, ☎ . Veg Restaurant & Lodge
- Hotel Pathik (iuoiuo), ☎ .
- Hotel Top in Town, ☎ .
- Hotel Vrundawan, ☎ . Restaurant & lodge
- Surabhi Sea Resort, ☎ .
- Beach Resort Silver Sand, ☎ .
- Garambi Resort, ☎ .
- Kamat Beach Resort (Get on to the Harnai Road from Dapoli and take a left turn after Sardule village to reach Kamat Beach Resort now known as Lotus Beach Resort.), ☎ . It is a beautiful resort on the beach with wonderful ambiance and hospitality.
- Kshitij, ☎ .
- Naad Beach Resort, Khalchi Pakhadi, Opp. Lakshminarayan Temple, Murud, ☎ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 10AM. With 12 comfortable cottages 25 feet (8 m) away from the beach, Naad is the ideal blend of the famed coastal wilderness of the Konkan, the idyllic peacefulness of rural Maharashtra and the modern comforts of the urban lifestyle. ₹1000-2000.
- Sagarika Resort, ☎ .
- Saniya Sea Resort, Khalchi Pakhadi, Murud, ☎ .
- [formerly dead link] Sagardeep (Sagardeep), ☎ . Check-in: 1030, check-out: 1000. ₹400-600.
- Sea Face Beach Resort, ☎ . A sea facing resort right next to the beach on the way to Karde from Murud.
- [dead link] Sfurti Nivas (Sfurti Nivas), ☎ . Check-in: 10:30AM, check-out: 10:00AM. ₹400-600.
- Swapna saagar Nivas (Swapna saagar Nivas), ☎ . Check-in: 10:30AM, check-out: 10:00AM. ₹400-₹600.
- Whistling Palms Beach Resort (Whistling Palms Beach Resort), ☎ . Check-in: 10:30AM, check-out: 10:00 AM. ₹2400-3600.
- Bhavani Residency.
- Hotel Sagar Sawali, ☎ . Serves very tasty seafood
- Gaaj, Ladghar, ☎ . Run by the family of Mr. Bal, this is one of the best hotels for families.
- Saagar Saad (Saagar saad), ☎ . Check-in: 10:30AM, check-out: 10:00AM. Clean resort right in front of the beach ₹700-1400.
- Vishranti, ☎ . Best choice for family stay with surrounding nature climates
- Hotel Mayuresh and Suyash Lodge, ☎ . Serves very good seafood as well