Daqing is home to China's largest oil reserves. The city was founded in 1959 to house oil industry workers and workers in related industries.
Daqing Saertu Airport offers 4 domestic routes to Beijing, Shanghai Pudong, Guangzhou, and Chengdu, with stops at Dalian, Qingdao, Hangzhou, and Xian. The airport is conveniently located 20km from the city center. Airport shuttle buses connect the airport to the city center, though it is not a popular choice for travelers.
Frequent daily trains from Harbin taking between 1h15 and 2 hours for the trip, costing ¥21-37.
Buses from Harbin International Airport to the central bus terminal are very frequent; these take between 1-2 hours for the trip. Tickets cost around ¥80 per person.
Many red rickshaws offer their service around the city. These rickshaws are limited in where they can go; they usually stay out of the city centre and are forced to stay in their respective districts. Cost: ¥1-5 depending on distance. There are, as well, taxis that frequent the whole city. Non-licensed taxis are as frequent as licensed taxis, offer virtually the same services as a taxi, and are just as reliable.
- 1 Daqing Petroleum Science & Technology Museum, Ranghulu Qu, 世纪大道 邮政编码: 163453. Large science centre, good for children and adults alike. Many exhibits involving science, with several military vehicles on display outside of the museum. Close to the city centre.
- Simon's bar, Yinzuo walking street, Ranghulu district (Near the oil field bookshop). A small friendly ex-pat hangout with English speaking bar staff, pool/darts and video games. Harbin beer from ¥5.
- [formerly dead link] Daqing Petroleum Hotel (大庆石油宾馆; Dàqìngshíyóubīnguǎn), 14 Xiliu Street, Ranghulu District (让胡路区西柳街14号; Rànghúlùqū Xīliǔjiē), ☏ , ✉ Daqingpetrohotel@sina.com.cn. Four star hotel. Rooms with internet access, satellite TV, electronic safety box and in-house mini bar. Meeting rooms, beauty salon, nightclub, bowling, billiards, table tennis, fitness, sauna and massage available. Two restaurants, tea garden and lobby bar. Rooms from ¥580.
- Daqing Hotel (大庆宾馆; Dàqìngbīnguǎn), 1(4) Dongfeng Road, Saertu District (萨尔图区世纪大道东风路1(4)号; Sàěrtúqū Dàdàodōngfēnglù), ☏ . Four star hotel. Rooms with free internet. Business center, travel agency, pool, billiards, table tennis, bowling, tennis, massages and saunas available Rooms from ¥318 including breakfast.
- Luyangchun Hotel (大庆绿阳春酒店; Dàqìnglǜyángchūnjiǔdiàn), Jianshe Building, Gaoxin District (高新区建设大厦; Gāoxīnqū Jiànshèdàshà), ☏ . Rooms with internet access. Business center, gift shop, beauty salon and ticket office available. Chinese restaurant, bar, tea house and room service. Listed rates for doubles from ¥368, discounted from ¥191; breakfast ¥20.