Dawei (Tavoy) is the capital of Tanintharyi Division, in Southeastern Myanmar.
Myanmar National Airlines has daily flights, and Air Bagan has 3 flights per week, from Yangon. Myanma Airways flights (typically once a week) to Mawlamyine, Myeik, Bokepyin and Kawthoung may also be available.
Flights may be cancelled with little or no advance notice, due to lack of bookings, the weather, or any number of other unpredictable circumstances. Not much to see from the plane due to air pollution. Skies are clear after rainy season, in Oct-Nov.
- Shin Motehti Pagoda, a few kilometres south of town.
- Shin Datweh Pagoda, in the north.
- Shin Maw Pagoda, on the Dawei promontory.
- Lawka Tharaphu Pagoda. Houses a 75 m long reclining Buddha image.
- 1 Maungmagan Beach. This popular beach served as a retreat for the British during colonial days. The beach hosts a long line of palm huts housing family seafood restaurants.
- 2 San Maria Bay and Myawyik Pagoda. 14 km south of Maungmagan lies a small causeway to a beautiful small island crowned by a pagoda.
- 3 Teyzit Beach. Teyzit beach is a very calm wide strand. To reach it you have to cross a stretch of saltmarsh. Depending on the tide this marsh might be flodded once you want to return with your motorbike. But friendly guys on their boats will take care of you. The road is also quite tricky to master on motorbikes. Be careful. The beach right north of Teyzit beach is actually much more beautiful. The marker is set to this smaller beach.
- 4 Sin Htauk Beach. One of the most pristine and beautiful beaches in Southeast Asia. Two hours away from Dawei. 1500 m long and 50 m wide empty beach with white sand, clear water and stunning waves sometimes. In rainy season between June and October it is difficult to reach and not worth to visit the beach.
- Paradise Beach. One of the most pristine beaches with licensed simple accommodation and a restaurant catering for there guests. Access only by 15 min Motorbike or 45 minutes jungle walk.
- Hot water springs. On the outskirts of Dawei, take a taxi about one to a few hours to there and one quite close to Maungmagan Beach (on the way to Maungmagan from Dawei).
- Enjoy South Myanmar, Dawei, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 7H30AM-7PM. Local and friendly travel agency with certificated guides. They offer you free information, guided tours, custom tours, snorkeling, ticketing, etc.
- 1 Focus Motorbike Rental, 688, Pakoku Kuang Road (Same road as Shwe Moung Than Hotel and Drean Journey coffee), ☎ . Mo-Su 08:00-20:00. Rents the best bikes in town. Also helps with bus, flight, hotel, tours and taxis services. 8,000 kyat for semi, 6,000 kyat for manual.
- Longyi (a sarong) is a famous local product.
- Cashew nuts and betel nuts are grown for export as well as a variety of tropical fruits including durian ("the King of Fruits").
- Zin thi (in local language) a fruit found only in Dawei and surrounding areas. It is sweet and slightly sour.
- Local banks have ATMs that accept Visa and MasterCard withdrawals.
- 1 Sinhtauk Beach Restaurant. Built entirely of beautiful wood. Amazing sunset view. Located right on the sandy beach with big shaddy outdoor area. Delicious meals and best fruit shakes.
There are lots of restaurants. Myanmar Beer is good, 1800 Kyats for a bottle. There are also fresh fruit juices (such as banana, papaya, pineapple, mango, etc.).
- 2 Zayar Htet San, ☎ . Rather new hotel with very good online ratings Around 40$ per night.
- 3 Golden Guest Hotel, ☎ . Another new hotel (2014) with good reviews. 55$/standard room.
- Shwe Moung Than Hotel, No. 665, Pakaukkukyaung Street, ☎ . Check-out: 12:00. Good value for your money. Clean, helpful staff, nice rooftop terrace. 25,000 kyat/standard room.
- Myanmar Paradise Beach Bungalows on Zat Sar Aw Beach or easier Paradise Beach now. Located 2 hours south of Dawei. You can arrive by minibus and there will be a motortaxi taking you to the beach. Also you can drive yourself to Paradise by motorbike. High Season (1 Nov- 30 April) Single 32,000 kyat, Double 42,000 kyat including breakfast. Low season cheaper.
- 4 Sinhtauk Beach Bungalows, e-mail: email@example.com. Directly on the beach there are ten bungalows with panorama window, deck and inside bathroom. Beach restaurant with cooling sea breeze and tasty dishes. Free refill water point.