Dawei (Tavoy) is the capital of Tanintharyi Division, in Southeastern Myanmar.
Myanma Airways [dead link] has daily flights, and Air Bagan has 3 flights per week, from Yangon. Myanma Airways flights (typically once a week) to Mawlamyine, Myeik, Bokepyin and Kawthoung may also be available.
Flights may be cancelled with little or no advance notice, due to lack of bookings, the weather, or any number of other unpredictable circumstances. Not much to see from the plane due to air pollution. Skies are clear after rainy season, in Oct-Nov.
- Shin Motehti Pagoda, a few kilometres south of town.
- Shin Datweh Pagoda, in the north.
- Shin Maw Pagoda, on the Dawei promontory.
- Lawka Tharaphu Pagoda. Houses a 75 m long reclining Buddha image.
- 1 Maungmagan Beach. This popular beach served as a retreat for the British during colonial days. The beach hosts a long line of palm huts housing family seafood restaurants.
- 2 Sin Htauk Beach. white sand beach on Dawei Peninsula. Clear water with some huts.
- San Maria Bay and Myawyik Pagoda 14 km south of Maungmagan lies a small causeway to a beautiful small island crowned by a pagoda.
- There are also a number of hot water springs on the outskirts of Dawei, take a taxi about one to a few hours to there and one quite close to Maungmagan Beach (on the way to Maungmagan from Dawei).
- Titan Travel & Tour, 84 Myotwin road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 7H30AM-7PM. Local and friendly travel agency with certificated guides. They offer you free information, rental motorbikes, guided tours, custom tours, snorkeling, ticketing, etc.
- Longyi (a sarong) is a famous local product.
- Cashew nuts and betel nuts are grown for export as well as a variety of tropical fruits including durian ("the King of Fruits").
- Zin thi (in local language) a fruit found only in Dawei and surrounding areas. It is sweet and slightly sour.
- Local banks have ATMs that accept Visa and MasterCard withdrawals.
There are lots of restaurants. Myanmar Beer is good, 1500 Kyats for a bottle. There are also fresh fruit juices (such as banana, papaya, pineapple, mango, etc.).
- 2 Zayar Htet San, ☎ . Rather new hotel with very good online ratings Around 40$ per night.
- 3 Golden Guest Hotel, ☎ . Another new hotel (2014) with good reviews. 55$/standard room.
- Shwe Moung Than Hotel, No. 665, Pakaukkukyaung Street, ☎ . Check-out: 12:00. Good value for your money. Clean, helpful staff, nice rooftop terrace. 20.000 ks/standard room.